“Terrible staff, nice location”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Koh Tao
Black Tip Diving & Water Sports IDC Resort
Ranked #47 of 49 Hotels in Koh Tao
Valkenburg ZH
“Terrible staff, nice location”
Reviewed 3 December 2009

We were at the Black tip for 4 nights. The staff is very poor and not friendly at all. Especially the staff of the restaurant. The did'nt smile at all, not even once. Room wasn't cleaned at all in 4 days.

However the scenery is great.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with family
4 Thank Mirjam1981

Business
new Zealand
Reviewed 18 September 2009

We loved the beach the snorkelling, then location and the food, we were disappointed in the office staff attitude, we thought after a 16 day stay, they could have smiled at least once, however the cleaners and ground staff were very friendly. Our room was clean and tidy although over priced in our opinion.
We were not informed of the fact that we had to pay cash for all our meals.
Overall a beautiful remote quiet location and very much to our liking.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank jenny074
London
Reviewed 5 July 2009

So the only reason I went to this resort is because my awesome friend Kunpiya is a dive instructor who taught me how to dive at this resort.
You can spend all day snorkeling on the little reef in the bay. We have seen black tip reef shark swim by us.. it was awesome.

To get to the hotel, you have to walk down to the dive shop, and they arrange a pickup to take you to the hotel about 30 minutes away. Part of the road is non existent, so I would'nt suggest this hotel to anyone who has a weak stomach. But I found it exiting and felt as if at any moment we might just fall off the bumpy roads and off the cliff... he he

The rooms are average, I think the main problem for me is that I got badly bitten for three nights that I spent there. Not by mosquitos unfortunetly, but by two different kinds of insects that look like beetles. The owners gave us a slight discount to make up for it. But I just wanted them to fix the problem for future residents. My back, hands and face were bitten and I had large swellings and didnt sleep those nights. After that however it got better.. I was only bitten once or twice in a night.. on the rest of the nights. They sprayed the room and as did I with some bug spray.. but the wood has spaces and cracks through which the bugs get in..

The diving in Koh Toa is amazing we saw whale shark on two dives. For those who have never been diving though, beware of sea lice that are invisible to me but sting and these little blue fish called cleaner rass/bass.. they tend to nibble at your open wounds or ears.. next time I wont wear a shortie.

The food is yummy my favorite was the Thai style steak, and the Massaman Curry.. Near by there are two other hotels with restaurants. no night clubs its mainly just a Diving BAY..

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank gayle84
Tucson, AZ
Reviewed 8 May 2009

I loved being on the secluded side of Ko Tao. The beach was lovely, the scuba-diving and snorkeling was perfect and the hammocks all over the property made me never want to leave. The shower water was warm at first and the bungalows are lovely. The biggest complaint was that after a grueling trip on a vomit-filled ferry followed by a looong bumpy ride in the back of a truck, we were exhausted and nauseasous and NEEDED to rest and freshen up. However even though we'd arrived with reservations in advance well after check-in time, our rooms weren't ready. We had to wait around outside with all our luggage for an hour. Also, their laundry service left something to be desired.

• Stayed December 2006, travelled with family
Switzerland
Reviewed 4 May 2009

My girlfriend and I stayed 4 nights in the Black Tip Resort on Koh Tao. And what a great time we had!
The hotel is situated in the Tanote Bay, which in my opinion is the nicest bay on the whole island. Went snorkeling and diving and had a great time.

Hotel:
Nice and clean bungalows. We had a bungalow with a fan which was absolutely efficient enough. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom was clean. The pressure of the shower was not that good but you managed to get clean eventually :-) Mosquito shields were installed in every window and you have a nice little terrace. Be advised that due to the small land mass water shortage can occur, so use the water economically.
The room was cleaned whenever you wanted it to be. The staff was very friendly and funny. Most of the staff in the restaurant didn't speak english that well but the menue was huge and the food was great (never had any sickness problems). The receptionists spoke english fluently and was very helpful.
The pool is reserved to diving instructions in the afternoon. When we were there in February we never saw more than 20ppl lying on the beach in this bay.

Diving:
We only had time to take the "Discover Scuba Diving" course. The underwater environment is magnificant and the guides really take care of it and inform you about the policies. The course was great and our instructor (Australian) very friendly and helpful. Safety is a top priority and in the group it was just my girlfriend and I.

How to get there:
When you arrive with the ferry you can just take a pick-up taxi or arrange pick-up with the hotel. We paid 50 bht per person. The road are catastrophic and it's an advanture getting there (especially by night).

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank geo_matt_87
Stavanger, Norway
Reviewed 6 February 2009

I took my PADI OW here and I enjoyed every single minute. The hotel is located away from the crowds (pros & cons) with a nice beach. The bungalow was nice and clean - bathroom better than expected (absolutely worth the price). The mattress a little hard, however you are almost asleep before your head hits the pillow after a long day of diving :) Lunch and dinner is superb (thai food), took a couple of days before I managed to get a decent breakfast (language problems...). Really nice staff and professional diveteam.

• Stayed September 2007
Riederich, Germany
Reviewed 6 September 2008

Just came back from my Thailand Trip.
I stayed 8 nights with the black tip divers. The bay itself is very beautiful but there service is terrible! Since they are mostly full booked the year around, they don’t care. So don’t expect a service for your 20 € a knight!
Also the dive with them is not well organized. The dive master are mostly unmotivated und have no contract whatsoever. They have 3 dives a day 14 days before they get a day of! Of course they don’t care much. But this can be a Sirius problem since my girlfriend refused to dive behind the guide trough a cave you couldn’t see the end, and the dive trough where very small. Make sure you take the responsibility for what you are doing. By the way the spots aren’t that exciting anymore!

.. there are 4 other resorts in this bay...

have fun

Martin

• Liked — the view
  • Disliked — the people
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank Ramtha