“Don't listen to the reviews - check it out for yourself!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Koh Tao
Black Tip Diving & Water Sports IDC Resort
Ranked #34 of 50 Hotels in Koh Tao
Reviewed 17 July 2010

I was recommend to come to Black Tip by a friend of mine who has been visiting the resort for the last 8 years. I hadn't read any trip adviser reports beforehand or may not have gone. But I'm glad I did! I stayed for about 3 weeks in Tanote bay doing a dive course and some fun dives after wards. I got a 50% discount on the rooms for doing a course and a discount on the dives as well. My room was cleaned nicely whenever I requested and sheets/towels were changed at request as well. Yes, there where some lizards in my room, but I have never stayed anywhere in asia without having lizards in the house. As well, your in the middle of the jungle so what do you expect? There is beautiful garden all around the resort so you really feel the nature! There is a nice quiet beach in Tanote with amazing coral reef right in front of you. The road is not the best, but all the resorts in tanote (about 5 resorts) all have taxis going and coming all day, so no problem. Also, I think it helps keep this place secluded and quiet. I went to Sairee sometimes also. there is easy to get to, but way to crowded!!! All the resorts in the bay have restaurants so you have choice, but it is easy to go to the other side of island if you want some more choices.

The staff were very friendly to me. Of course I was polite to them also. I see someone swearing at the staff and they did not get the help they would like. But my mother taught me you get back what you put out!! But any info I asked for (renting bike, booking hotel on other island, booking tours, etc) they helped me alot with details and calling. As of course, the dive staff were very friendly. I like to thank my instructor Pheung for helping me get over my fear of being underwater and also Mickey and Ben for the great dives!!

I will defintely be back!!!

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled solo
4  Thank glendad81

Reviewed 13 July 2010

My hgusband and I are travelling for 6 months with our 2 young children, we began our trip in June in Thailand. I booked Black Tip as a surprise for my husband and was planning to buy him a dive course for his birthday. I had been in contact with Id from Black Tip for sometime as I wanted to check resort was suitable seeing as when my husband was diving I would be left on my own with a 3 yr old and a 1 yr old. I was assured everything was fine, the room etc would be adequate. From the moment we arrived it all started to go wrong!
Firstly, although lovely once you're there, is practically inaccessible unless you have a jeep/ 4 by 4. The 'roads' were not even roads, just tracks with huge potholes in and rocks sticking out. Once we got there I was basically a prisoner as there was no way I would be able to take a pushchair or even walk on my own in such roads! The bay had little amenities - shops, pharmacy etc which I needed because of the kids.
Our room - which was supposed to be 1500 baht, but was reduced by 50% as we were doing dive couse was horrible! It stank, old, damp and musty. The sheets had not been put on freshly,just obviously chaged after the last person and then the bungalow must have nbeen left locked up for sometime as it was dusty and smelly. There were also stains on the bedding.The air con didn't work and the fan didn't turn, not good in 30 degrees with 2 kids, one who has a temperature!
Anyway, we though we'd try and make the most of it. Asked for a reduction and then a room change. The staff were very unhelpful and we were told someone would get back to us. They didn't so after some time we went to investigate, everyone had left and reception was all locked up. When we went back to the room what we found was the final straw!!!
There was fresh poo on the pillow. When I looked up to see where it had come from there was a HUGE lizard, the biggest I'd ever seen on the ceiling and then we noticed a massive hole in the roof. The room stank and I think that must have been what the other stains were too.
There was no way we were staying. We had to find someone in the restaurant, who came with a torch and saw the lizard but just shrugged. Eventually we got htem to contact the manager who was very unapologetic and unhelpful and would not reimburse our deposit. We managed to get a taxi and had to make the same treacherous journey at 9 0 clock at night in the pitch black, with a tired grumpy toddler and a teething 1 yr old.Not fun!!
DO NOT STAY HERE! We got dropped off at Sairee Beach and my husband is now diving at Asia divers, much more helpful and comfortable.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
3  Thank Els1Uk
Reviewed 7 April 2010

We booked this hotel originally for 4 nights, and ended up one extra night. We completed the PADI open water diver course and received 50% of the room for the entire stay, plus if we ever go back we get a 50% discount on any room there. The resort was clean, beach was great, tons of snorkeling on site, and it was quiet. Not much to choose from for food as there is only 4 other resorts that share the beach, the reception is a bit confusing at first, and the Western food wasn't the greatest! Overall we both enjoyed our stay there, and had no problems with staff, they were all very helpful. For room service you have to request it, and Swimming pool is closed daily from 1-4 for Diver training.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank adambangay
Reviewed 10 January 2010

We had booked three nights at the black tip resort and it was terrible. The staff is always in a bad moon, never polite or helpfull. The beach was full of garbage and gazoil . we could not swimm and it was worst everyday. The restaurant staff would never smile or say hi . Well, having travel many times in thailand, that was from far away our worst experience.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with family
3  Thank salman_10
Reviewed 3 December 2009

We were at the Black tip for 4 nights. The staff is very poor and not friendly at all. Especially the staff of the restaurant. The did'nt smile at all, not even once. Room wasn't cleaned at all in 4 days.

However the scenery is great.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with family
4  Thank Mirjam1981
Reviewed 18 September 2009

We loved the beach the snorkelling, then location and the food, we were disappointed in the office staff attitude, we thought after a 16 day stay, they could have smiled at least once, however the cleaners and ground staff were very friendly. Our room was clean and tidy although over priced in our opinion.
We were not informed of the fact that we had to pay cash for all our meals.
Overall a beautiful remote quiet location and very much to our liking.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank jenny074
Reviewed 5 July 2009

So the only reason I went to this resort is because my awesome friend Kunpiya is a dive instructor who taught me how to dive at this resort.
You can spend all day snorkeling on the little reef in the bay. We have seen black tip reef shark swim by us.. it was awesome.

To get to the hotel, you have to walk down to the dive shop, and they arrange a pickup to take you to the hotel about 30 minutes away. Part of the road is non existent, so I would'nt suggest this hotel to anyone who has a weak stomach. But I found it exiting and felt as if at any moment we might just fall off the bumpy roads and off the cliff... he he

The rooms are average, I think the main problem for me is that I got badly bitten for three nights that I spent there. Not by mosquitos unfortunetly, but by two different kinds of insects that look like beetles. The owners gave us a slight discount to make up for it. But I just wanted them to fix the problem for future residents. My back, hands and face were bitten and I had large swellings and didnt sleep those nights. After that however it got better.. I was only bitten once or twice in a night.. on the rest of the nights. They sprayed the room and as did I with some bug spray.. but the wood has spaces and cracks through which the bugs get in..

The diving in Koh Toa is amazing we saw whale shark on two dives. For those who have never been diving though, beware of sea lice that are invisible to me but sting and these little blue fish called cleaner rass/bass.. they tend to nibble at your open wounds or ears.. next time I wont wear a shortie.

The food is yummy my favorite was the Thai style steak, and the Massaman Curry.. Near by there are two other hotels with restaurants. no night clubs its mainly just a Diving BAY..

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple