“AWFUL”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Koh Tao
Buddha View Dive Resort
Ranked #21 of 50 Hotels in Koh Tao
Reviewed 23 August 2011

We booked online to stay here for two nights after the full moon party on Koh phangan. We booked in advance and paid a deposit online. I asked for a twin room and recieved an email back stating that they only had a double to which I replied that this was fine.
Upon my arrival at Buddha View they once again stated that they only had a double room and asked if this suited our need to which I replied that this was fine, to which they seemed relieved and helpful. (Suggesting a room was available as requested and a deposit paid)
I was then asked to take a seat while they sorted things out for me. The staff then approached me to ask if I was diving, when I replied that I wasn't sure yet what our plans were they returned my deposit (in cash which I had paid online) and told me that they would be putting us up next door as they had no rooms available.
When I stated that I had paid a deposit to secure a room they told me that it was common practice to put people in hotels nearby. When I told them that I was not happy about this as we had picked Buddha view for various reasons they did not seem bothered.
Basically they wanted to give the room to someone else who was definitely diving as they would recieve more money from them.
As Koh Tao was very busy after the full moon party we struggled to find the accomodation we wanted and our experience with Buddha View caused unnecessary stress and worry.
I would not recommend staying here or diving here as the accomodation was unreliable and the staff very unhelpful.
There attitude was "if your not diving go and stay somewhere else"
we had a terrible experience with Buddha View and one that they would not get away with had the Island not have been so busy after the full moon party.

The service was awful and one that I had not experienced anywhere else in Thailand.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
5  Thank Jessica466

Reviewed 13 August 2011

I stayed here in February 2011 to do a diving course. We were in a group with only three other people, so we've got alot of attention. The instructors seemed very capable of teaching how to dive and there was a great vibe! The resort is practically on the beach and it's lovely to walk around in the evening. I'ts quiet, but also cozy. Every evening there is a BBQ where you can choose the food and they will make it for you! Perfect! We also spent the nights at the resort. We slept in a double room with private bathroom, which was nice and clean. You can also stay at another resort or cabin nearby if you like, all resorts on that bay are in walking distance of eachother. And if you stay there, hire a canoe and peddle one bay to the north, is seriously crowded with baby sharks! If you do not like that: the sharks do not come near the resort. I would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 August 2011

Koh Tao is obviously a little underdeveloped versus some other Thai hotspots, and that's its charm. However, you can find yourself some excellent scuba diving and snorkeling. I hooked up a dive package with Buddha View for myself and my family, but after some research I saw that their main backpacker style hotel on Mae Haad was facing a muddy bay and therefore didn't have much snorkeling. We checked into that main facility first, and it is relaxed (google "Thailand sanuk") but professional , clean, and a lot of fun in terms of a place to stay. Most facilities like stores are just down the road.

However, Buddha View are opening a new facility on Tanote Bay, which was more family oriented (no loud drinkers in the evening), so we opted to dive out of that facility. (It will be called Mandaley Bay; the rooms were still under construction when we were there but they look like they will be nice modern apartment style digs with a small amount of landscaping). It uses the Blacktip Dive facility, so you can get more info on TA via a search for that dive operation.

All in all, we were very happy that we booked with Buddha View; they were friendly and helpful and most importantly, professional. (We dealt mostly with John, who was even good with our kids!). Every step of the way, from helping to book the lodgings on T-Bay (we used Tanote Villa Hill, which was excellent) to making sure your checkout was handled correctly, they made sure our experience was a enjoyable one. I signed up for a deepwater diver PADI certification as well as an introduction to diving for the kids called "bubblemaker". For that, they even let them work with a respirator instead of just snorkeling. My deepwater diver cert was more demanding, and so be prepared to learn more about the effects of depth and pressure on humans. For that, they offer an e-book to get your dive training started, which was cool, and then they give you books and videos before two classroom

My instructor was Marco; he was a good and patient teacher and though in the end I developed a little dizzyness at lower depths, one great advantage of diving out of this spot is that instead of a pool your first couple of mini-training dives take place in the ocean water of Tanote Bay where there is coral just fifteen feet from shore and some lovely rock formations, so you will get a lot of amazing fish and sites to see without too much effort. All in all, I would say I found that using Buddha View was a great way to start to learn to dive, I will definitely be back to Koh Tao in the future, it was a wonderful and reasonably priced way to enjoy the islands of Thailand.

Room Tip: Try their new Tanote Bay facility called Mandelay Bay, its got better offshore diving
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 August 2011

budget rooms are basic, but if you upgrade the rooms are lovely. the food is excellent, especially in the small cafe. All the staff are lovely and very helpful, you get a transfer to and from the pier. The diving courses are excellent, the teachers are excellent, the diving sites are class,the bar is great craic in the night time and theres offers on drinks. theres a bbq in the evenings which is great too.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 July 2011

I stayed with 2 friends when they did their dive cert. The room was free, but blankets (giant towels) were extra. The basic rooms are pretty dumpy, but they ARE free. Location was ok, but the beach, like most on Tao, sucked. Staff weren't particularly friendly, and at one point were quite rude to one of their guests who had a complaint. I think they suffer from "Lonely Planet Syndrome". My friends were moderately pleased with the dive course. I wouldn't recommend it though, judging from my own experience with a PADI course elsewhere which was more thorough, and the attitude/professionalism of the divemasters and instructors.

• Stayed: July 2011
1  Thank meghangw
Reviewed 30 June 2011

We stayed here and did our PADI open water licence. We were first time divers and loved the Buddha view. The instructors and staff were brilliant and the cost was very good. We did a 5 day course I think with 2 dives every day with an afternoon off in the middle. They have extra dives on all the time including night dives and offer pretty much every level of course. We spent one afternoon in the pool getting the basics then after that we went out to sea in the boats they own and gradually built up from depths of 6 to 18/20 to get our licence whilst learning everything we needed to. Groups were small and everyone was friendly and helped each other and we got along so well we went out into the main part of Koh Tao (Buddah View is out of the way a little but this isn't a problem) on a night. The area is part of a small collection of dive resort type places and its in a really nice bay area. The cafe for breakfast is very good and they do a brilliant bbq almost every night. The bar is very cool as well right on the beach and all the staff/learners mix on a night and have a good laugh. Only down side of this place is the accommodation - its awful. We booked this in Bangkok through an agent who told us it we had the best available rooms. Turned out if you booked a course then the room was free. It didn't have any toilet roll, bed sheets, towels or anything. The bed was rock hard and the fan (no air con but this is safe as its probably not great to have air con in your room when diving) was uselessly small and ineffective. I'm not snobish but i booked a level of hotel because I didn't want to go and have to buy this sort of stuff which I had to do there which cost a bit. The room also wasn't cleaned and the showers gave out orange water (consistent with other guests) so we showered in the sea! Although the accommodation is bad, it is free if you book a course so represents good value although most of the diving schools in the area offer this. I would still thoroughly recommend Buddah View for the diving and evening/meals/beach area. From what we have learned from friends experience of Koh Tao and what we saw when there Buddah View is very good for diving and you get a great experience in a safe friendly sociable environment.

Room Tip: Ask for the very best room
  • Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jamsimsafc
Reviewed 11 May 2011

I spent a week (way to short!) on Koh Tao to do my Rescue Diver Course with Buddha View - and I am hooked completely. I am already saving for my Divemaster and Instructor course at Buddha View.

This place stands out from the rest, I felt welcome all the way, before, during and after the diving. The instructors are happy to socialise and share their stories also when their working day is over, you can feel that they like what they do. You can see that for them it is not just another job - but a Lifestyle.

Great staff - Great food - Great vibes at night!!!

There are a lot of diveschools to choose from on Koh Tao, but if you want to experience the true diving Lifestyle, go to Buddah View!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends