“bad service!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Koh Tao
Buddha View Dive Resort
Ranked #24 of 49 Hotels in Koh Tao
Ko Samui, Thailand
“bad service!”
Reviewed 19 March 2012

the french man who worked at the resort was very unhelpful and tried to make us stay in the resort just up along the beach as he said there was no rooms left even though we had booked with them a week in advance, in the end we had to get our travel agent provider to speak to the french man as he said we would have to pay an extra 400 baht each per night to stay in a delux room!! he lied and made out when we needed to buy our own toilet roll from the shop, and when i challenged him that it said it was free on the notice he simply shrugged his shoulders and said he didnt know, i asked to speak to someone else and the lady went and got us some...his service was awful he shouldnt be working with people!!!

Room Tip: avoid the french man! dont stay if your not diving
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank sammo123

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 27 February 2012

I just completed the Open Water PADI Certified Diver course and I can honestly recommend Buddha View Dive School. The instructors are professional and very thorough. They actually care about every student and want you to succeed and be safe in the water. The equipment is also well maintained. Bring 2,000 baht (approx $35USD) more if you want to buy the cool video of your last dive. We dove the Japanese Gardens, a world class site. The "resort" is typical of others I've stayed at on Koh Tao. Basic, but clean. Beds are commonly hard in Thailand. It was so hot I did not need a sheet blanket and I brought my own towel. I stayed in one of the free rooms with ensuite toilet/shower. Buddha bar has a great happy hour and lots of other divers and instructors you can hang out with! A nice 7-11 down the road to use for stocking up.

Room Tip: Ask to see your room when you first arrive. If you don't like it, you can request a room change...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
New York City, New York
Reviewed 16 February 2012

I came to Buddha View for the dive school and was not the least bit disappointed in that experience. In fact, I loved every minute of it. But I'm not here to talk about the dive school.

I was offered free accommodations because I signed up for a four day dive course. However, I decided to upgrade to the "deluxe" room for both the air conditioning and the added level of comfort. The room typically costs 1300 baht ($42) per night but they "discount" it to 1,200 baht for divers. This is an expensive rate on a relatively cheap island at what amounted to nothing more than a backpacker's hotel. The $3 discount was, quite frankly, insulting.

The air-conditioning worked. That is the beginning and end of my positive feedback on the resort. Here is a list of the items which Buddha View should address, at least in terms of their deluxe rooms:

Beds: No top sheet, a dirty blanket on top and you can actually see the springs popping out of the mattress. Not terribly comfortable.

Noise: My room was directly over the bar which rocks on until the wee small hours of the morning. I live in New York City so I'm used to falling asleep to noise. This, however, was REALLY loud. I was grateful for my ear plugs.

Cleanliness: For deluxe rooms, they will "clean" your room every other day upon request. Their idea of cleaning is folding the blanket on the bed and using the open shower head to hose down the bathroom. They did not wipe down a single surface and left the entire bathroom -- floor, sink, toilet -- soaking wet. Ridiculous.

WiFi: They charge 100 baht a day for WiFi that DOES NOT WORK. If you're going to charge for it, you better darn well make sure it's functioning. I couldn't even do basic tasks such as get onto a hotel site to book a room for the next part of my trip.

Service: The most disappointing aspect of my stay was the customer service. I should have suspected from the slow response I got to my email enquiries, that I would not be dealing with a world-class hotel. However, the surly dive instructor that greeted our van and the nasty front-desk person were beyond the worst customer service I've experienced at a resort.

Beach/pool: Do NOT come here if you're not going to the dive school. There's no point as the pool is tiny and generally reserved for dive exercises, and the beach is basically non-existent.

Perhaps my expectations were too high. I imagine that many backpackers would be just fine with this place. I am in my early forties and therefore beyond the typical hostel-staying age. However, for the price I paid, I expected more. There is zero excuse for bad customer service.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank FreindinFarPlaces

Travellers are raving about these Koh Tao hotels

Kingston, Canada
Reviewed 5 February 2012

We stayed in a delux room after roughing it for one night in the basic accomodations. Thank goodness we switched.
Loved diving with Buddha view.
I agree with others, that the beach was really tiny and unsuable. Also the party atmosphere was loud. But if you are there to party then you wouldn't mind this. So not a great place to stay for those not diving and those who like peace and quiet.
I did enjoy staying here however, as I met some great people and loved the vibe.

Room Tip: Don't stay in the basic accomodations.
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Stellenbosch, South Africa
Reviewed 29 December 2011

Right from the start, we had issues with this place. They had messed up our booking and told us that there were other rooms available, although not the ones we booked. My fiancée and I took an air-conditioned sea view room. Despite the room being all the way at the end of the corridor and close to the sea, there was no window where our sea view would be – only a cement wall. We made our booking for the actual sea view room and when we told the receptionist, she informed that the room had been given to divers, even though we booked in April!

The rooms are quite nice and in good repair, and the restaurant’s food is pretty good. Service is horrible all round and every dive instructor thinks he runs the place. There is no beach at high tide (which seemed like all the time we were there) and only a deck, which is always filled with rowdy divers. This noise carries very easily to our room. It looks like a fun place to go to do your dive course and meet some people and have a few drinks at the bar. If you’re not diving, however, I would definitely not recommend it.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Suitophobia
Chiang Mai, Thailand
Reviewed 22 October 2011

**Note: This review is for the Buddha View accommodation, not the dive couse. I have posted a separate review of the dive course in the tour category** Of course, we chose to stay here because we were diving with Buddha View and the amazing Ricardo! We opted for the nicer deluxe rooms, so I can't speak to the quality of the fan rooms. It was 1400 baht/night for 2 people, 1300/night for 1 person, not including a 100/night discount for diving. This price is pretty steep compared to most islands, but Koh Tao in general isn't very cheap apart from diving. I would suppose the price is alright relative to Koh Tao for the quality of the room. It was well furnished, hot water, aircon, modern art, ample lighting, balcony, towels, blanket, and comfy bed. No fridge. It's right on the beach, which isn't much of a beach if you've been elsewhere in Thailand. Be forewarned, if you're looking for a picturesque beach, Koh Tao isn't the place. This place is centered on diving alone.

Some cons about the hotel - No soap! Small con, but bring your own. The restaurant sucks. Expensive, unimaginative menu options and the staff! No smiles, no service, all they do is sit around glued to the TV which is loudly blaring dubbed western movies into Thai. You have to walk over and ask them if you want to order, or for the bill, or any general requests. That is, if they're awake. Our guy was too busy eating and watching to be bothered, so we did him a favor and went to the restaurant next door for the remainder of our stay. Buddha View coffeeshop or whatever the name is had a great "Amazing Egg Sandwich" which was quick, delicious, and easy to take on the boat, and also real coffee, not Nescafe crap. The biggest con - The attached Buddha View bar. The bar was great during happy hour (until 7) with great island prices on beer. The bar was a total nightmare from 10 PM on. The music is waaaayyy too loud, even when we were sitting down there having post-dinner drinks. The volume stays the same all night. Its a small bar, and its within earshot of the accommodation for divers, so why on Earth would anyone allow the music to be so loud into the night? I'm all for a good time, but if I wanted to be up all night listening to pounding tunes, I would be on Koh Phangan at the Full Moon Party. Instead, I came to Koh Tao and Buddha View to dive. Early in the morning, along with everyone else. That bar is bad for business, and when we come back, we will consider staying elsewhere just to avoid the late night party noise that Buddha View allows to carry on. Shame on you Buddha View, total lack of respect for your customers for not imposing volume limits after hours. The louder the music and the drunker the patrons, the louder their yelling and laughing. Not all of us enjoy sleepless nights before diving.

If you want to dive and party, Buddha View is one stop shopping. For a quiet night and a good night's rest, try another hotel. Maybe I'll be in the mood to party next time if I don't have early morning dives and I'll be one of the ***holes that's keeping you up at night if you stay here.

• Stayed October 2011
4 Thank Jahorgie
UK
Reviewed 21 October 2011

Myself and my partner recently completed dive courses at Buddha View - Open Water for me and Open Water plus Advanced for my partner. My partner also participated in a few fun dives after the courses.

We were so impressed by the service, price and atmosphere at Buddha View that we have been recommending it throughout S.E.Asia to fellow travellers. Our room was basic but perfectly fine considering you are usually out diving, studying or socialising. The room was free for both of us because we did courses with Buddha View.

We booked the courses through the Bangkok office near Khao San Road, with Dave and Nan. They were incredibly helpful and trustworthy. They explained that you can get the courses cheaper when booking through travel agents, but they have hidden costs (e.g. for the course book) and the transport (bus and boat) might not be as advertised. We have researched other countries and companies to complete Open Water courses and have found none as cheap as Buddha View on Koh Tao.

Our instructors, James and Peter, were fantastic; so professional and knowledgeable. They were always there to help with any problems, no matter how small.

The equipment was to a very good standard and the boats were well equipped, with the larger ones providing a toilet, drinks, fruit and even biscuits!

An added bonus is the atmosphere at Buddha View - the Buddha Bar is a great place to chill with fellow divers in the evenings and the BBQ every night is delicious and great value.

As for the diving around Koh Tao - we saw plenty of different species of fish and eels and the coral was beautiful. The visibility was good on all the dives and the sea was nice and warm!

We have been with other dive centres since Buddha View (Malaysia, Borneo, Gili Islands) and while good, they haven't even come close to the service we received.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple