I have only good things to say about the reception staff, friendly and warm. Restaurant good too. But that's it...the rest was a poor experience for me. The place is noisy, the rooms are run down, the instructor made inappropriate jokes and took my diving mood away, and for what I paid ("luxury room"?) there's a douzen other cheaper places (I asked on the street and at pier).
1) The noise never stops. There's loud partying at the beach bars till the late hours, then from 6.45 the divers gather and make more noise...I had asked 1x on the phone and 2x per email and booking form for a quiet room but problem is they're all facing the inner courtyard, where people shout at each other instead of talking, lessons take place, trucks gather to go diving, and lots of motorcycles park and pedal gas day&night.
2) I had an instructor that made a lot of jokes that made me feel uncomfortable,2 very sexist ones about women and diving, I didn't wanna dive anymore after that. i've had 4 different diving companies so far and never have I felt so put down and unencouraged. When I hesitated in booking another session, quoting need for more info (where, with whom the next day) he snickered at my questions, then pushed for an answer, this way he put me off completely. Other diving companies make an effort to explain possible spots and plans, ask what your wishes are...it was obvious he didn't want to go with me and didn't care what I thought. He proceeded to give all his attention to who was signing up for the Advanced course....is this resort only about making money, and not getting people excited about diving?
3) Shabby, run-down room,considering what I paid for it. They call it luxury but the shower head was broken(stuck with tape which immediately broke), water never really warm(with monsoon weather this is necessary), sometimes coming out in spurts and rusty yellow, no soap,no access to fridge, very little toilet paper,and everything old,rusty,mouldy.....
I think the heydays of Buddha View are over.
Next time I'll stay somewhere else, diving costs exactly the same in other places on the island....this is not value for your money and sexists should not be doing this job.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Buddha View Dive Resort is Thailand’s premier PADI 5 star Gold Palm IDC Resort and PADI Career Development Centre. With over 20 years of experience in the diving industry, Buddha View provides world-class PADI diving courses, regular and special diving trips and accommodation to suit all budgets. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Buddha View Dive Hotel Koh Tao