Buddha View Dive Resort
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$442
US$353
  • Breakfast included
US$71
US$64
US$74
US$58
Pinnacle Koh Tao Resort(Koh Tao)(Great Value!)
US$51
US$47
Agoda.com
Haadtien Beach Resort(Koh Tao)
US$208
US$196
US$113
US$90
US$95
US$59
Travelocity
Ban's Diving Resort(Koh Tao)(Great Value!)
US$48
US$45
  • Pool
  • Beachfront
Woodlawn Villas(Koh Tao)(Great Value!)
US$41
US$39
Aminjirah Resort(Koh Tao)(Great Value!)
US$61
All reviewsdive resortopen waterdiving careerlearn scubafun divingbudget roomdiving courserooms are basicair conchalok baybeautiful islandaccommodationbangkokbvvaleriofanclassroom
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 23 April 2010

Booked a 5 night stay at Buddha View after reading various positive reviews. This was our third time on Koh Tao, the first on Chaolok Ban. It was also the 1st time as holidayers (previous times we had been travelling).

Like other reviewers have pointed out, the setup is a bit more chilled out compared with sairee and the nightly BBQ is very good. We did 6 fun dives and found them good fun. The dive operation was excellent.

The main issue was around the room and facilities. We had a deluxe aircon room in the main block above the restaurant. Like other reviewers have pointed out, the rooms aren't cleaned - which prob isn't a problem if you're there for a couple of nights doing your open water. But for a relatively expensive room (by Thai standards) some level of service wouldve been nice. Other little quirks included lack of fridge (again not vital, but slightly odd given that they shelled out for tellys with satellite). Maybe it's a green thing, but I know I'd prefer a chilled beer over countless reruns of BBC World News.

The swimming pool was an extension of the dive school and pretty inaccessible given the plethora of new divers practising their skills.

The beach is a bit coarse (like most of Koh Tao) and the sea is very shallow. There are no loungers or sun shades but plenty of space to park up for a sun bathe and it's worth a paddle, even if it's a only a few inches deep at times. Popular snorkling sights like Shark Bay can be reached by longtail or by a 20min uphill walk.

I don't want to be overly harsh on Buddha View, it's an excellent resort for those learning to dive or travellers after a bit of luxury whilst avoiding Sairee. But for us it wasn't quite there - yet - and in the end we cut our losses and moved out after 4 nights.

Reviewed 1 March 2010

We found Buddha View through the TAT office and decided to get a package offer that included the PADI certificate and a deluxe room (it was our honeymoon and we didn't want to stay in the rooms that the diving course came with - and paid the difference). When we arrived, we were not put into the rooms that we had paid for and were instead given the diving-low budget rooms. So we explained to the British guy at the counter and he really didn't care (it was his birthday that day, maybe that's why). In end we had no other choice but to stay in the low budget rooms (although we had paid to stay at the deluxe rooms). The low budget rooms would have been ok if we wanted to slum it out but it was our honeymoon. No wc paper, no towels, no sheets etc. We called the TAT lady and only after staying in the low budget room for 3 nights were we able to get the room we actually paid for. (Vent much?) The deluxe room that we stayed in was great, we wish we didn't have to go through all the ignorance at first, no one really took us seriously.

The diving experience and the bbq was above excellent. Our instructor James was chill and funny. We met awesome people down there that we still keep in touch with. The massages in the bungalows on the beach, the Thai kids playing around and the cute dogs were fantastic! The breakfast menu was delicious.

I'd like to go back there to do an Advanced course someday!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 February 2010

I was PADI certified at Buddha View. I was fairly rushed as Koh Tao was at the tail end of my trip but the staff was extremely accomodating in helping arrange a 3-day dive course for me. In fact, I initially started out with 2 other women but because they stayed on for 4 days whereas I needed to complete it in 3, they gave me a instructor all to myself! The classroom instruction is informative but won't drain you, and they take you on different dives in different locations so that even as a beginner you get to experience different environments. Re: accomodations - initially I had planned on staying at a pricier resort but seeing the accomodation at the resort, I settled on their mid-range accomodation which turned out to be much better than I could have imagined. I am picky about accomodations but can say with certainty that their mid-level accomodations are very very nice. Without A/C, it costs 700B - the fans work so well you do not need the A/C. The location of the resort is on the southern tip so it's quieter than Sairee Beach. It may not be your thing but for me I liked it much better, it's a bay so it's a lot more beautiful to see than Sairee Beach plus there is enough restaurants/bars but isn't loud like Sairee. The bar at the resort is very lively at night but winds down by midnight so everyone can get their sleep. Highly recommend it!

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 January 2010

Just arrived in Thailand and loving it what an amazing place. Myself and friends stayed at Bhudda View and would highly reccomend it. Great view nice beach and great diving....... Enjoy

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 January 2010

I have just spent from 26th - 29th Dec 2009 Buddah View and LOVED it. Can't say a bad thing about it. Firstly I had done my theory part of my Open water in Singapore where I live so wanted just to do the Open water dives and emailed 6 places, Buddah View was the most helpful and prompt by far.
The setting is beautiful. There is a great cafe there for lunch with a knock out view. Lovely Thai food and BBQ in the eve. My friend and I got 2 rooms. The lowest of the options with AC and a tv but not the best and WOW so cool! Bare bricks and a kind of NYC cross Thai feel on the design, really nice touches in the rooms.
Diving instruction was excellent, very clear and very safe. We had a lady called Sarah who was load so fun.
Yes ..... I'm a fan! Go and do your diving :)

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with friends