“Highly Recommended”
Review of Utopia Suites

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Koh Tao
Utopia Suites
Ranked #86 of 142 Speciality Lodging in Koh Tao
Reviewed 9 January 2012

I stayed here with a friend over Christmas and New Year and we found the room to be very comfortable and a good standard for the price we paid. In comparison to other accommodation on the island it was quite expensive - although not for UK standards (we paid about £22 a night between us) but it was worth it for the peace of mind. It was not particularly glamorous (ie not a lovely beach hut with sea views!!) but we had quite a large room with air con and a fan, bathroom with hot water and a little table and chairs (room B). It was more than adequate although the bed was a bit hard! But there were no insects or bugs in the room ever, and it was cleaned and bed made every day and we felt safe there being 2 girls on our own. The ladies who ran it were very friendly and helpful, although they would not give us any kind of discount considering we stayed there for a week. The rooms are above the restaurant which did nice food - both Thai and burgers!! - although it was not the cheapest around. It is situated at the southern end of the stretch of beach (Mae Head), near the pier but we were never disturbed with noise of people or bar music etc. The beach was minutes away and there are lots of shops around to buy food water etc. Over all we were both really happy with our stay and would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Gemfunk
There are newer reviews for Utopia Suites

Reviewed 16 October 2010

The apartments overlook the main bay. Super clean. Very private and quiet with all the comforts of home. Excellent value. We found the staff very helpful and friendly. The food in the restaurant was the best quality we had in Koh Tao. Not only GREAT steaks and burgers but the Thai food is also excellent. Be careful when you order medium spicy; it was already too hot for our palette. Mostly authentic jazz and blues music on DVD's. If you like this genre you will love this place.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 August 2010

We stayed in the apartments on the beach. The location is great as posted in other reviews but the apts have a few problems. The first one we stayed in had a bad sewerage smell coming from the gutters in the bathroom. When we complained in the morning, the Thai manager, Tic was not even apologetic, however her Dutch husband was, and offered to move us to another room. Later on in the day, Tic informed us that a dog had peed and that is why it stank. Our last two nights were a nightmare. There was no water in the bathrooms as a water pipe had burst and the hotel was running on delivered tanker water which ran out very quickly. However, when we told the manager that there was no water, instead of an apology or explanation the answer was "I know, there will be water later. This is Koh Tao". When the water was finally delivered at 5 pm, and we went for our showers, we realized that the color of the water was brown. This really made us upset and we went down to the reception to inform them. We understood that we were on a small Island and nothing is perfect but the attitude of the manager really got to us. Instead of giving us an explanation and apology she started shouting at my wife and told her that its the silt and it would settle after a few hours and that she has also showered with the same water. Also all other guests are not complaining then why are you complaining.
The sad part is that the apartments are well furnished and have all the conveniences of home and there is no other accommodation of this standard on Mae haad beach apart from the Sensi Paradise resort which is not really on the beach but the villas are on the hill in the Jungle. This is probably the reason why they have an attitude as they know that they have little competition. Would have stayed there again if we had not had the incident with the manager.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
3  Thank TravelIHKarachi
Reviewed 11 March 2009

I liked the hotel. It was conveniently located, close to the Songserm pier. Once you arrive at the songserm pier make a right and the hotel will be a few feet away on your left. No need for a cab! The staff was very sweet and accomodating. The rooms were simple but clean and very spacious. I only ate there for breakfast once; the foold is rather expensive compared to the other places. You can get your clothes washed within the same day at the place next to it (on the right), and you can get make travel plans and check your emails (on the left).

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank fahlou
Reviewed 26 February 2009

We had a reservation for deluxe room F and paid in advance through a booking website. On arrival we were dumped in room D. I complained that room D was not the luxury room we had paid for. It turned out that room F was already occupied by other people. Then the ladies at the counter started lying. “You have no reservation for room F”. I showed them the voucher which clearly stated that I had a reservation for room F. “All the rooms are the same and have the same price.” That was another lie. Room F is 1700 baht and room D is 1275 baht. I offered them to accept the room under the condition that they would refund me the price difference. That was impossible and they really got unfriendly. “There is no price difference.” They just didn’t want to solve the problem and thought they would get away with it this way. I said that I would put my experience on the internet and left.
Late afternoon when we returned from the beach the owner came to me. He offered us an apartment in stead of room D. The apartment (number U1) looked really great. It turned out that night there was just one big problem. The air conditioning made a terrible noise, a very high tone. We did not expect that the owner would solve that problem, so we solved the problem ourselves by sleeping with ear plugs.

We were not the only ones who had problems. One day later a family arrived which did not get the apartment they paid for because of another overbooking. They were put in another hotel and after two day they finally got their apartment.

Would I stay at this hotel again? No way! The people there turned out dishonest and unfriendly.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Whatsinaname
Reviewed 31 December 2008

My husband and I stayed on Ko Tao for 4 nights and it was one of my FAVORITE islands! It was so beautiful.

We booked online and got the room for only $20CAN per night. When we got there though, the front desk didn't realize that we had already pre booked so they offered the room to us for $16 a night instead. Worked out great for us!

There is a small beach accross the street from this hotel. I just loved the staff at this hotel. The ladies were incredibly sweet and friendly. We rented an ATV for the entire time we were there and had a great time exploring the island this way!

The hotel is within walking distance to the main street where there are lots of resturaunts ect..

Clean, safe quiet place!

• Stayed: February 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank snu70
Reviewed 27 July 2008

I was very disappointed in my experience at Utopia. Location is good in the sense that it is on the main Mae Chang road (close to the ferry, good restaurants, and it is quieter, but a 10 min taxi ride away from the action of Sairee) but the beach as the previous reviews stated is not that great or easily accessible. For the record I stayed in the hotel, not the apartments that are on the beach side of the road.

The following are not meant as complaints so much as an honest assessment of the accommodations to hopefully help others decide if they should stay here. I was slightly mislead by previous reviews and had assumed that at the price I paid this would be a step up from accommodations around the island that were half the price. I don’t think this ended up being the case.

Wifi was not available in the room I stayed in on the second floor, I had go to the lobby to use it which might have been fine, but it closed around 9pm each night. My room was moderately clean, but had a strange sewage type smell that seemed to emanate from the bathroom drain. There were stains (blood I think) on the bed spread and the towels were ratty, mismatched, also had a few stains. One late night I came back to the room and there were no towels at all! The “hot” water was really tepid and instead of a shower was really more of a trickle. The a/c remote controller’s screen was broken so I had to guess what temperature my room was set at. The hotel also demands the entire stay upfront in cash as well as a key deposit of 1500 baht. They do not accept credit card. Also the rooms do not have a security deposit box and the restaurant was closed during my stay for “a few days”.

I realize that this is not a luxury hotel or resort, but for 1400 baht a night I expected just a little more and very seriously considered moving after the first night but wasn’t confident I would be able to find much of an improvement after reading other reviews.

If I ever come to Ko Tao again I will chose to stay at a hotel that is actually on the beach and it would definitely be worth a few extra baht a night to stay somewhere more comfortable.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank logic8482