“Nice place” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Utopia Suites

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Koh Tao
Utopia Suites
Ranked #80 of 135 Speciality Lodging in Koh Tao
san francisco
“Nice place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2009

I liked the hotel. It was conveniently located, close to the Songserm pier. Once you arrive at the songserm pier make a right and the hotel will be a few feet away on your left. No need for a cab! The staff was very sweet and accomodating. The rooms were simple but clean and very spacious. I only ate there for breakfast once; the foold is rather expensive compared to the other places. You can get your clothes washed within the same day at the place next to it (on the right), and you can get make travel plans and check your emails (on the left).

• Stayed February 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank fahlou

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
The Netherlands
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2009

We had a reservation for deluxe room F and paid in advance through a booking website. On arrival we were dumped in room D. I complained that room D was not the luxury room we had paid for. It turned out that room F was already occupied by other people. Then the ladies at the counter started lying. “You have no reservation for room F”. I showed them the voucher which clearly stated that I had a reservation for room F. “All the rooms are the same and have the same price.” That was another lie. Room F is 1700 baht and room D is 1275 baht. I offered them to accept the room under the condition that they would refund me the price difference. That was impossible and they really got unfriendly. “There is no price difference.” They just didn’t want to solve the problem and thought they would get away with it this way. I said that I would put my experience on the internet and left.
Late afternoon when we returned from the beach the owner came to me. He offered us an apartment in stead of room D. The apartment (number U1) looked really great. It turned out that night there was just one big problem. The air conditioning made a terrible noise, a very high tone. We did not expect that the owner would solve that problem, so we solved the problem ourselves by sleeping with ear plugs.

We were not the only ones who had problems. One day later a family arrived which did not get the apartment they paid for because of another overbooking. They were put in another hotel and after two day they finally got their apartment.

Would I stay at this hotel again? No way! The people there turned out dishonest and unfriendly.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Whatsinaname

Travellers are raving about these Koh Tao hotels

Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2008

My husband and I stayed on Ko Tao for 4 nights and it was one of my FAVORITE islands! It was so beautiful.

We booked online and got the room for only $20CAN per night. When we got there though, the front desk didn't realize that we had already pre booked so they offered the room to us for $16 a night instead. Worked out great for us!

There is a small beach accross the street from this hotel. I just loved the staff at this hotel. The ladies were incredibly sweet and friendly. We rented an ATV for the entire time we were there and had a great time exploring the island this way!

The hotel is within walking distance to the main street where there are lots of resturaunts ect..

Clean, safe quiet place!

• Liked — excellent price!! great food, staff and quiet!
  • Stayed February 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank snu70
Singapore, Singapore
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2008

I was very disappointed in my experience at Utopia. Location is good in the sense that it is on the main Mae Chang road (close to the ferry, good restaurants, and it is quieter, but a 10 min taxi ride away from the action of Sairee) but the beach as the previous reviews stated is not that great or easily accessible. For the record I stayed in the hotel, not the apartments that are on the beach side of the road.

The following are not meant as complaints so much as an honest assessment of the accommodations to hopefully help others decide if they should stay here. I was slightly mislead by previous reviews and had assumed that at the price I paid this would be a step up from accommodations around the island that were half the price. I don’t think this ended up being the case.

Wifi was not available in the room I stayed in on the second floor, I had go to the lobby to use it which might have been fine, but it closed around 9pm each night. My room was moderately clean, but had a strange sewage type smell that seemed to emanate from the bathroom drain. There were stains (blood I think) on the bed spread and the towels were ratty, mismatched, also had a few stains. One late night I came back to the room and there were no towels at all! The “hot” water was really tepid and instead of a shower was really more of a trickle. The a/c remote controller’s screen was broken so I had to guess what temperature my room was set at. The hotel also demands the entire stay upfront in cash as well as a key deposit of 1500 baht. They do not accept credit card. Also the rooms do not have a security deposit box and the restaurant was closed during my stay for “a few days”.

I realize that this is not a luxury hotel or resort, but for 1400 baht a night I expected just a little more and very seriously considered moving after the first night but wasn’t confident I would be able to find much of an improvement after reading other reviews.

If I ever come to Ko Tao again I will chose to stay at a hotel that is actually on the beach and it would definitely be worth a few extra baht a night to stay somewhere more comfortable.

• Stayed July 2008, travelled solo
2 Thank logic8482
United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2008

Utopia Suites are located a very short walk from the Songserm ferry pier and on the same road as loads of shops and restaurants in Mae Haad town, but at the quiet end of the road so it was never noisy at night. When my husband and I arrived we were met by the really friendly staff and shown to our room which was large with airconditioning. The beach outside the hotel isn't the best beach on the island as it is a harbour beach, and there were quite a few bits of glass in the sand. However we found that there was quite good snorkelling by the rocks at the end of the beach. It is only 15 minutes walk to Sairee beach, which is gorgeous and really quiet with loads of chilled out beach bars and cheap restaurants to laze around in.

Utopia Suites is one of the few hotels that doesn't have a dive centre (although they can arrange dive packages for you), which was good as when were trying to book hotels we found a lot wouldn't accept non-divers. As the island is really catered towards divers it is really relaxed during the day when most people are off diving. In the evenings the town livened up but it still seemed really chilled out and not at all seedy like some other areas of Thailand. It wasn't very touristy either which was nice, definitely my favourite island I have been to in Thailand.

• Stayed January 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TravelbugDevon
Los Angeles, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2008

The pictures from the booking website did not show the rooms that were on top of the restaurant which was where we stayed. The walk to the hotel was filled with potholes and moped bikes and is located at the end of the road at Mae Haad beach. However, there is no beach to speak of. Overall, the price was great for the value. The service was friendly, easy and good. The room was clean and sufficient. Electricity kept turning off so it was quite warm at times.

• Stayed December 2007