“Amazing and very entertaining”

Samphran Elephant Ground & Zoo
Book In Advance
More Info
US$94.00*
and up
Private Tour: Full-Day Bangkok City Tour
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Amazing and very entertaining”
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Before I went on my trip to Thailand I researched places to visit and the Samphran Elephant Ground & Zoo was a top priority. My only complaint was that as part of a tour group I didn't get to stay there long enough! We began our visit with a sumptuous buffet brimming with international cuisine before racing off to watch the antics of the very talented and incredibly adorable elephants as they played soccer, balanced on their heads and twirled hoops, then performed in a historical play featuring explosions, blazing fires and an abundance of sword-fighting! Next stop was to hurry to the next site were we viewed a daring yet funny crocodile wrestling show during which heads and limbs were placed in great risk for our amusement. Another show followed shortly afterwards with the chance to watch a stunning performance with traditional dancing and acrobatics. Then, minutes before boarding the bus, I was able to get a photograph with a snake wrapped around my neck and shoulders and then a photo whilst holding the tails of two very large and very alive (though sedated for safety reasons) tigers. I would certainly return to this place, but next time I will ensure I stay a great deal longer.

Visited October 2013

37 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“A Wonderful Place”
Reviewed 11 April 2014

Elephant feeding and shows, croc feeding and shows, a history of Siam as told by elephants and a football match between them later plus a few magic shows. This place is fantastic and is a must if you are in Bangkok. I've been a few times, often taking guests who are visiting here. I'd gladly go back if anyone ever asked me to take them. Seriously, there is a lot of fun (if you like elephants that is) to be had at Sampran.

Visited December 2013
2 Thank Mozzermarr
Wigan, United Kingdom
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 96 helpful votes
“Entrance 120 baht thai, 600 baht foreigners !”
Reviewed 30 March 2014

Not unusual to be charged more for everything in Thailand but this was a bit steep.
Nevertheless, one of the better and more organised zoos I have visited, the magic show was also a welcome distraction.
The crocodile show was entertaining, even though they could not resist taking extra money if you chose to "donate".
Enough refreshments and seating areas to relax, along with the usual souvenir shops.
Worth a visit if your into wildlife or at a loose end for a few hours.

Visited March 2014
3 Thank David Rigby
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
223 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 209 helpful votes
“Good day out ”
Reviewed 27 February 2014 via mobile

Saw the crocs and elephants and tigers. Enjoyed the crocodile show and saw many many crocs. We didn't stay for elephant show but overall it was a good visit. The kids love it

2 Thank y0rkshire_0wl
Wellington, New Zealand
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“shows are ok, animal welfare is very poor”
Reviewed 19 February 2014

We joined a group tour booked through our hotel which took us out here on the way to the tiger temple. We arrived just as the crocodile show began... no seating and you have to get in early to stand up against the railing if you want to see anything. also be very careful of pick pockets. Elephant show was good more educational about the history of elephants in thailand compared to other elephant shows we have seen.

However the rest of the park was horrible and very run down. the monkeys are kept in tiny, dirty cages and looks like they are never moved from them. some were just pacing round and round in the same circle. The elephants also looked distressed with no water out. they were clearly thirsty as whenever someone turned the tap on to wash their hands they would come rushing over to try get some. we even saw one of the cleaners hit a monkey through its cage with her broom. The tigers were at the front of the park and were dragged out for tourist to have photos with. when they moved or lifted their heads they were hit with a stick... We would not come here again it was too sad to see all the animals being treated the way they were. you can find better places that treat their animals better and still have similar if not the exact same shows available.

Visited January 2014