“Highlight of my trip, I never thought to learn qigong and kung fu in Thailand”

Nam Yang Kung Fu Retreat Day Courses
Ranked #1 of 26 things to do in Pai
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: 5 minutes from Pai, we are a Kung Fu training centre with first-class facilities, a peaceful jungle location and great mountain views. Learn Kung Fu, Chi Kung, self-defense and meditation from two-time World Champion Iain Armstrong and his team of friendly instructors. We also grow and serve fresh organic food and provide comfortable accommodation. Whether you're an experienced martial artist or a beginner, a stay with us will boost your confidence, fitness, mental clarity and general well-being. If you have ever dreamed of learning the ancient art of kung fu amongst remote, forested mountains in the wilds of Asia, this is your chance! What is your kung fu dream? What is stopping you?
Reviewed 6 November 2017

I came to Pai at the end my trip and I wish I had spent my whole vacation at Nam Yang. I was looking for something different from the yoga retreats and I came across Nam Yang on Trip Advisor. It was the best decision made. I only had 5 days, but they were able to work with my schedule. I was able to learn Ki Gong and basic Kung Fu in a relaxing environment. You work out 6- 8 hours a day, I felt more energized and stronger each day. They had an on call massage therapist that will give you a massage in your room for 200 Baht. The food and people are amazing. If you can't stay for a week, just come for an afternoon class to try and you will be hooked.

Date of experience: October 2017
1  Thank CarolynC1094
Iain_Armstrong, Owner at Nam Yang Kung Fu Retreat Day Courses, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2017

Dear Carolyn,

Sincere thanks for your great review. I am very glad to hear that we were able to make such a good impression on you in such short a time. You will be very welcome if you are ever able to return here. In the mean time I wish you great success with your practice Carolyn,

All reviews
"ancient art"
"instructor training"
"shared rooms"

Reviewed 6 November 2017 via mobile

After having spent 3 months in a shaolin kung fu school in China I arrived in Pai at the Nam Yang Kung Fu Retreat for one month and I am really gratefull for the experience there and the things I learned. From qi gong, Sanda, self defense, weapon routines, tiger crane combination, fitness and meditation. If you are open for a different experience and willing to open yourself for new things you will sure benefit from the trainings and the stay in this kung fu retreat. After this month at Nam Yang I feel so much better now and there are a lot of things and routines that I learned that I hope to keep up in my daily life. Master Iain and the instructors are amazing and they are living the Kung fu and are always there to help, teach and motivate.

A big thanks to the team of Nam Yang and for sure I will come back one day.

(P.s for the very convenient people I would recommend the single rooms, I stayed in the shared bedrooms and had also good nights of sleep and felt very well there, but it's not a luxury resort ;-))

Date of experience: October 2017
1  Thank Lucien S

Dear Lucien,

Very many thanks for your review. I am very glad to hear that you feel so much better after your time with us and that we shape up so well compared to the Kung Fu Schools in China. It makes our effort here very much more worthwhile. We are indeed looking forwards to your return Lucien,

Reviewed 27 September 2017 via mobile

My 3 months stay at the nam yang kung fu school has been one of the richest and most grounding experience of my life.

The location is gorgeous and the food healthy ! The teaching is of great quality and the teachers showed great values such as patience, motivation and perhaps most importantly passion in what they do.

Whatever background you have in martial arts, or your general level of fitness/flexibility, what I've seen is that gong fu isn't about striving to be better than others or achieving something so that you can compare yourself or your skills with others. It kind of throws you on a path where you are just paying attention and amazed by your own day-to-day progress as you practice it ! It has no requirements as its goal is to give you the tools for self discovery and development, through practice, observation and ultimately further understanding of your body and mind. It doesn't matter from where you think you are starting as you can start from anywhere !

The sun will greet you every morning in a breathtaking setting (qigong) as you do gentle stretching, breathing and internal awareness works.
The afternoon sessions will offer you the more explosive and technical aspects of kung fu.
If you are feeling overwhelmed, you can just go at your own pace and listen to your body.
However if you feel that the schedule doesn't offer enough physical challenge then you are free to access the gym for further practice or strength/cardio trainings in between or after classes.
Nobody is there to judge you, this place is simply about offering you the possibility of a self-discovery path via gong fu.
All in all, the timetable felt as a well thought-out, complete and balanced system.

You may be physically staying at one place but you may be amazed at how much you can travel in the inside !

Needless to say I will return when favorable conditions arise again, until then I am excited to continue on as I have left with a lot of tools that I can keep with me and practice anywhere and anywhen.

I am grateful for the experience and the beautiful people I have met there ! If you somehow feel drawn to it, make the leap and step through the door, you won't regret it!

Kim

Date of experience: February 2017
Iain_Armstrong, Owner at Nam Yang Kung Fu Retreat Day Courses, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2017

Dear Kim,

Sincere thanks for your glowing review. I could not have worded it so well even if I had tried! :) I am deeply grateful that you had such a positive experience and and made so much progress. In a relatively short time you have learned many of the key lessons of real Kung Fu.

I very much look forwards to your return Kim,

Reviewed 15 September 2017

I stayed at Nam Yang for 7 weeks and it was one of the most amazing experiences of my life, i would recommend it to anyone who wants to get healthy, learn self protection, self control, and meet loads of new amazing people.
Pai is a 1 minute ride from the kung Fu camp, loads of amazing things to do in your free time such as see the caves, go to the 3 different hot springs and go to the shooting range. There are loads of amazing restaurants to go to for your lunch or dinner including western and Thai food.
the food at the Nam yang is grown and cooked all in their gardens, it is really nice to sit down for dinner with everyone after training.

Date of experience: June 2017
Iain_Armstrong, Owner at Nam Yang Kung Fu Retreat Day Courses, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2017

Dear Freddie,

Very many thanks for your good review. I am very glad that you found your time with us to be so stimulating. We are all missing you and Grace and will be very happy to have you back with us in the future Freddie,

See more reviews
Reviewed 12 September 2017

It was a truly remarkable and one of a kind experience for someone who's never done any martial arts before (or even meditation or yoga). I cannot recommend it enough! Master Iain is an amazing person giving away inspiration and wisdom all around, everybody just has to love, respect and admire that man. And all the other instructors and people who live there are also great. It was exactly what I was expecting, get into a good routine, discipline, shape etc. Although I consider my fitness level above average, the training had been a tough reality check, especially for my flexibility. However, after training around 35 hours per week, I had done some massive improvements and learned a lot about my body, kung-fu and life in general. At the cost of being constantly sore and tired of course :-) Maybe I should've used the days off for resting and not traveling. But that's what kung-fu literally means: hard work!

Date of experience: May 2017
Iain_Armstrong, Owner at Nam Yang Kung Fu Retreat Day Courses, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2017

Dear Svehla,

Sincere thanks for your kind words. We really do appreciate all of the reviews that people like your self take time to write. I am very glad that you were able to experience 'massive improvement'. We do try very hard to get the best out of people although, as you say, there is a cost in terms of soreness and tiredness. :) I very much hope to see you again one day. In the mean time do please try to practise what you learned with us Svehla,