Review Highlights
Good place for a new strart

I followed the Qi Gong and meditation for life balance. The name of it resume very well what it is... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
Lufralo
via mobile
Grateful for the experience

I have been at the Nam Yang Kung Fu retreat for 4 weeks (January 2019). It was a beautiful... read more

Reviewed 2 weeks ago
AnaFromPortugal
via mobile

Recommended experiences in and around Pai
from US$230.78
More Info
from US$990.46
More Info
All reviews master iain martial arts self defense everyday life life changing training area two weeks tea break week stay warm ups rest days longer stay life balance true master morning routine ancient art instructor training
Reviewed 15 December 2017 via mobile

I just want to explain very fast my case because I think it could help someone.

Five years ago I had a hard motorbike accident, I was really lucky because I didnt break my neck and apparently from outside it wasnt so big, but inside all my upper body musculoskeletal system went to something as chronic sock.
Since then I have tried a lot of technics and I must say I went to the Kung Fu retreat quite well but still with chronic pain in my back, chest and neck.

I have spent six weeks training Kung fu and Chi Kung in Nam Yang and now after one week of rest I can say I feel better than ever, my pain is very close to dissapear, my muscles went out of sock and they have more energy and elasticity than ever in my life.

Definitely Nam Yang is a place where you can change your life if you really want.

Thank you very much Master Iain and instructors for the input of knowledge and energy to apply it you are giving to the world.

We will see again soon.

Carlos.

Date of experience: December 2017
1  Thank Carlos d
Iain_Armstrong, Owner at Nam Yang Kung Fu Retreat Day Courses, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2017

Dear Carlos,

Sincere thanks for your review. This is very interesting since our training has helped you recover after a very serious injury. We realise that it will not cure everything but certainly for shock, muscular injuries etc it does seem to be very effective. Do please keep practicing and let me how you progress. I look forwards to speaking with you about this when you are here next Carlos,

Reviewed 13 December 2017

I was at Nam Yang about two months ago, for a period of two weeks, and it certainly exceeded any expectations I had. My sister was there a while after myself for a month, and we cannot wait to go back together, hopefully during spring time.
Two weeks is a short time, nevertheless I learned an incredible amount and left feeling great. It is a challenging program and often tiring, but it is more than worth it when you experience all its benefits. I was very impressed by the instructors as they went above and beyond to help anyone willing to progress.They were always open to questions and asking for further guidance was never too much, a quality which you don't often find elsewhere.
Although I tried coming with an open mind, I was very skeptical about the thought of our Chi(qi) having such a big role in how we perform. I was worried that it might be overdone and much too spiritual, which I've never really liked. Indeed, our Chi does play a crucial role in Kung Fu (and life), but it was taught in such a way that I never felt I was expected to believe/know this from the start, and my questions, often skeptical, were answered with patience and understanding. Consequently I started questioning my own preconceptions, and found out that yes, indeed, the instructors were right. I suppose what I want to say is that it is not forced upon you, but gradually with the course of the lessons and the evidence seen through the instructors' performances, you come to realise the importance of it all by yourself.
I am so grateful to have discovered Nam Yang, as it feels like a place I can always go back to when needed and work on myself in a positive and healthy way. I cannot wait to go back (neither can my sister)
Thank you!

Date of experience: September 2017
Iain_Armstrong, Owner at Nam Yang Kung Fu Retreat Day Courses, responded to this reviewResponded 14 December 2017

Dear Renee,

Sincere thanks for your kind words. You clearly put a lot of thought into writing this review and it is an interesting one to read. We think that our approach is about right but it is good to have this opinion confirmed, especially from someone who came with a skeptical attitude and is therefore not biased.

We greatly enjoyed having Louise and your self here and very much look forwards to your joining us again soon Renee,

Reviewed 30 November 2017

Whether you stay for a couple of weeks like me or for years, the Nam Yang Kung Fu Retreat will give you an unforgettable experience.

Learn to balance your life with Chi Kung, Meditation and Kung Fu moves (self-defense, stretches, medication and more).

The teachers are knowledgeable, observant and approachable.

Staying at the retreat gives the best experience with a multicultural group of people all working towards the same goal, improving themselves.

Date of experience: November 2017
Iain_Armstrong, Owner at Nam Yang Kung Fu Retreat Day Courses, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2017

Dear Robin,

Sincere thanks for your review. It is great to hear that you appreciated the teachers and the people here. We always do our best to give all of our students the best possible experience and to help them improve as much as possible. Please keep in touch and if you can, return in the future Robin,

Reviewed 29 November 2017

I felt attracted to Kun Fu and felt like exploring it but did not know where to go. I was going on holidays to Thailand and someone I crossed that just came back from Thailand happened to be for 2 weeks in Nam Yang and recommended it, so I decided to try.
I had such a great experience in Nam Yang, the practice and training changed my body in 2 weeks, I feel a lot better in it now. I had been experiencing stress at work and lacking time for myself for a very long time before coming to Thailand and practicing Chi Kung and Kun Fu helped me connect so much more with my body. The practice required focusing in order to get the postures and movements right and that calmed my mind. Also the movements and different exercises principles can be applied for life, being grounded, always flexible, using the force coming from the opponent to redirect it back… found that depth in the teaching very interesting and inspiring.
I felt the group in Nam Yang as a family. I deeply enjoyed the sharing and learning from everyone, instructors and colleagues. Practising together gave me so much strength. I pushed myself a lot more that I would have done alone or with another type of group. I deeply enjoyed listening to the life stories of the people there, and I am truly missing them now.
Instructors were very helpful, inspiring and great to be around, and also enjoyed the food very much.
I took so much from this experience and I feel very grateful. I would like to keep on learning Kung Fu back at home and I find it is going to be very difficult to find a place like this.

Date of experience: November 2017
4  Thank Beatriz G
Iain_Armstrong, Owner at Nam Yang Kung Fu Retreat Day Courses, responded to this reviewResponded 1 December 2017

Dear Beatriz,

Sincere thanks for your kind words about us. Knowing that we are able to make so much difference to our students is the greatest motivator to keep on working and giving of our best. I think that you have really summed up well what we do her! Thanks again and do consider coming back soon Beatriz,

Reviewed 10 November 2017 via mobile

I booked initially for 1 week but extended twice, until I had to return to my country.

I never thought i would have such an interesting time. The combination between qi kung, kung fu, strong warm ups, meditations, strechings, weapons, sanda... makes the experience so complete for body, mind and spirit, as they say. Its a healing place, in any sense, physical or mental.
The instructors are one of the most remarkable things of the retreat: since they love the kung fu as a way of life, that feeling is transmitted on the trainings. They are serious with their job, and friendly on the treatment, patient and strict at the same time. The way of teaching is based on explaining the reason why of every movement, so everything makes sense. You find easily the motivation for learning and enjoying, and wanting more.
In my case, I specially loved the spiritual and philosophical part, learning things that you can apply also to your everyday life. It is not only about fighting and training, it is also about respect, about flowing, feeling, and being relaxed to be able to move in a conscious and intuitive way.
Moreover the location, food and massages are very good. The views from the training areas are the mountains, the sunrising, the thai landscape. The food is fresh and very tasty, really, the best currys in Pai. Healthy, non gluten and no milk, with vegan and vegetarian options. And finally, the massages are given from a woman that is already used to the people of the retreat, so she knows where it hurts :)

It is really interesting also to meet different people from everywhere. The atmosphere created was full of respect and friendship, I felt really peaceful.

I highly recommend it. Im already willing to return :).

Date of experience: October 2017
1  Thank Lara A
Iain_Armstrong, Owner at Nam Yang Kung Fu Retreat Day Courses, responded to this reviewResponded 11 November 2017

Dear Lara,

Sincere thanks for your detailed review. We make a very great effort to pass on the real kung fu lifestyle and base on what you have written it sounds that we are succeeding. Which gives us a great sense of fulfillment. You will definitely be very welcome back Lara,