“Amazing experience, the best thing you will do in Thailand, exceeds expectations!”

Nam Yang Kung Fu Retreat Day Courses
Ranked #1 of 26 things to do in Pai
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: 5 minutes from Pai, we are a Kung Fu training centre with first-class facilities, a peaceful jungle location and great mountain views. Learn Kung Fu, Chi Kung, self-defense and meditation from two-time World Champion Iain Armstrong and his team of friendly instructors. We also grow and serve fresh organic food and provide comfortable accommodation. Whether you're an experienced martial artist or a beginner, a stay with us will boost your confidence, fitness, mental clarity and general well-being. If you have ever dreamed of learning the ancient art of kung fu amongst remote, forested mountains in the wilds of Asia, this is your chance! What is your kung fu dream? What is stopping you?
Reviewed 9 February 2018

While they suggest staying for a week or more my boyfriend and I were only able to stay for 2 days. They welcomed us in even for this short stay and made us feel just as important as students who were there for months. The training was well rounded and the instructors were knowledgeable, patient, and all spoke fluent English. Training starts at dawn and is almost all day long which made our two days feel like a week on our body. We felt like we were at a true Kung Fu training camp with bamboo structures, great nutritional food, amazing mountain scenery, and incredible instructors. Everything was better than we expected. You definitely get out what you put in here, so you can train very hard all day, or train light with plenty of meditation time as well. If you need a break from the Thai food they offer here, Pai is just a 5 minute scooter drive away and they know how to cater to westerners taste buds. We read all the reviews before we booked and we were not disappointed. We would both love to return in the future for a longer stay. Thanks much to Master Iain, for establishing and maintaining this amazing camp.

All reviews
in 11 reviews
"defense"
in 10 reviews

Reviewed 1 February 2018 via mobile

A most satisfied student here....after learning 'Chi Gong' in UK by authentic Chinese masters I practiced this arts teachings for many years, benefiting in all it has to offer to prepare for Kungfu. What I quickly realised in Nam Yang is that I was doing many incorrect postures causing me pain in the long term. Learning 'Chi Kung' from Master Ian and his team was without question what I needed to truly learn this ancient art. All the team individually helped me fine tune key areas of my life physical, mental and spiritual.

I would highly recommend reading master Ian's book before and or after your training starts. I read the entire book in one sitting, it was a very well written, illustrated book, all schools can follow suit here. All I was taught completely made sense especially the advance teqniques.

This place is not anything I envisaged prior to arrival. The surroundings are beautiful, the food sourced from the local land, the people are amazing, the instructors are sharp and willing to share their knowledge.

It was a privilege and an honour to spend time with such amazing people in such an amazing place.

Peace and love

Serkan

Iain_Armstrong, Owner at Nam Yang Kung Fu Retreat Day Courses, responded to this reviewResponded 2 February 2018

Dear Serkan,

Sincere thanks for your detailed and very complimentary review. You have clearly put a lot of thought into what you have written. It was very good to have you here with us and I enjoyed speaking with you. Every person who comes here comes with a lesson to teach us and your was an interesting one! Good luck with your continued practise, do keep it up because the benefits are significant.

I very much hope to see you again in the future Serkan,

Reviewed 30 January 2018 via mobile

I well i absolutely loved the time i spent there great people awesome instructors very high quality training, had my doubts before i arrived but once i got there is was really great, and not just phisically couse i was really depressed last year since my mother passed away and there finally i was able to break out of my depression and found my happiness again, and felt that i got really reborned after those 2 weeks and im deffinetly gonna be back for more, so i would really recommend it to anyone no mather the skill level or mental condition that place is really amazing, Master Ian is surely knows what he is doing

Iain_Armstrong, Owner at Nam Yang Kung Fu Retreat Day Courses, responded to this reviewResponded 1 February 2018

Dear Tamas,

Sincere thanks for your review. It is very motivational for us to hear that we were able to make a real difference to you, even in such a short time. We do care about each of our students and do our best for everyone. I very much hope that your new found happiness and clarity will be permanent. Keep practising what you learned with us. In the mean time, we will look forwards to your next visit Tamas,

Reviewed 21 January 2018

I spent 4 Weeks in Nam Yang. in this 4 Weeks i learned much more than i expected! I learned the first Form of the Sword, did a lot of conditioning and fitness Training, learned some more Self defence and most important: about the ideas of this particular style of Kung Fu you can use in everyday life!

Iain_Armstrong, Owner at Nam Yang Kung Fu Retreat Day Courses, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2018

Dear Paul - Henry,

Very many thanks for your review. We do our very best to cater for all levels of experience. It is obviously more difficult to meet the needs of experienced martial artists who come here from a huge range of different backgrounds so it is great feedback to hear that we are getting it right. I wish you great success in your continuing martial arts journey Paul-Henry,

See more reviews
Reviewed 21 January 2018

I booked a 4 week stay and ended up extending it. Because almost everyone does. It's that good. At the end of my stay the effects of the training and lifestyle where undeniable. I'd suggest to anyone that coming for at least two weeks is ideal, you'll probably want more time but you can decide for yourself and extend if you like, they're very accommodating. The staff, instructors and Master Iain are all of excellent caliber, extremely knowledgeable and exceptionally warm and welcoming. I felt immediately at home. Honestly, I could feel both physical and mental changes happening after a few days of training, but at this point I'm really impressed. Because you walk away with the tools to continue practicing. We were up before dawn every day doing the life force cultivation exercises and tai chi-like slow combat form, breaking for tea and talking Shaolin theory, then diving into the more physical stuff until breakfast. I did the accelerated intensive for the first two weeks, which means right after breakfast you're back in training with private instruction, then another group lesson. We were on our own for lunch so I happily took the opportunity to scooter into town, back in session at 3:30 until dinner. The physical sessions ran the gauntlet from striking, defense, combinations, joint locks, tendon and fascia strengthening, take downs, weapon training (bo staff right now), meditation, and endless series of lower and upper body conditioning, stretching, calisthenics, even striking my wrists and shins with bamboo to toughen the bones and desensitize them to pain, and my favorite, the sticky hand/push hand routines that develop contact sensitivity and sparring practice. So after 5 weeks, my focus, resilience, patience, capacity to be non-reactive to painful or distressful stimuli, discipline and over all calm demeanor had all been heightened quite noticeably. And my body felt like it was 18 again. The effects this is continuing to have on my meditation is outstanding, and incorporating yoga and emotional/energetic hygiene practices from various instructors turned this whole 'vacation' into something my 6 year old self dreamed up when watching Star Wars and the ninja turtles. Super rad;) I also got to play music in town at a local reggae house on our nights off and hitting up hot springs and get thai massages on the rest days. So.. hopefully that's a helpful inside scoop. It's hard work. And it's completely worth it. I walked away stronger and more nourished and energized than I've ever experienced. I still carry myself with a posture sculpted in that discipline. I made life long allies. I'm so very glad I came. I will return.