“Nam Yang Kung Fu Retreat - Centre of Excellence for any Internal or External Martial Art Enthusiast .. Seriously ..”

Nam Yang Kung Fu Retreat Day Courses
Ranked #1 of 26 things to do in Pai
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: 5 minutes from Pai, we are a Kung Fu training centre with first-class facilities, a peaceful jungle location and great mountain views. Learn Kung Fu, Chi Kung, self-defense and meditation from two-time World Champion Iain Armstrong and his team of friendly instructors. We also grow and serve fresh organic food and provide comfortable accommodation. Whether you're an experienced martial artist or a beginner, a stay with us will boost your confidence, fitness, mental clarity and general well-being. If you have ever dreamed of learning the ancient art of kung fu amongst remote, forested mountains in the wilds of Asia, this is your chance! What is your kung fu dream? What is stopping you?
Reviewed 15 February 2018

Master Iain and his instructors cater for all types of students at differing levels and grades of either internal or external kung fu.

I am mid forties and fairly fit yet the retreat in Pai made me feel healthier and rejuvenated in such a small space of time without the usual 'thrashing' or 'beasting' you may have faced in other martial arts / boxing .. why? It was down too the good balance of hard / soft training that was conducted in a mature and intelligent manner - all of which is built on respect for each and every person at the retreat ..

Each lesson was conducted very professionally and had specific aims and objectives - you also had lessons with Master Iain which were just sublime .. the knowledge that was shared truly has creditability and without doubt world class ..

My only regret is that I could not stay longer - my next visit will be planned for so much longer. The retreat can be positively life changing if you are prepared to put in the work .. seriously!

Many thanks for the opportunity ..

Chris (UK)

1  Thank cmansffield
Iain_Armstrong, Owner at Nam Yang Kung Fu Retreat Day Courses, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2018

Dear Chris,

Sincere thanks for your very flattering review. As you have very correctly identified we do put a very great deal of though and planning into our program and will continue to do so. We really desire to make this a true international center of excellence.

I do very much look forwards to having you here with us again. In the mean time, enjoy your training in the UK - I wish you great success with it.

Thanks and respect Chris,

in 11 reviews
"defense"
in 10 reviews

Reviewed 11 February 2018 via mobile

I have just finished a month training at the retreat. As a fairly unhealthy 41 year old, it wasnt easy but very rewarding. I undertook over 140 hrs of Chi Kung, Tiger Crane Combination art, Chinese philosophy, strategy, weapons, defense, Chinese boxing, Sum Chien form practice and meditation. By taking the intensive course i was also able to successfully pass the first grading! The instructors, students, location, food and general feel of the place was spot on. I fully recommend Nam Yang and Kung Fu as not only a way to improve health and self defense, but also a powerful way to increase self respect, discipline, and mindfulness. Thank you Master Iain, and hopefully see you again for grade 2!

Iain_Armstrong, Owner at Nam Yang Kung Fu Retreat Day Courses, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2018

Very many thanks for your kind words. I am very glad that we were able to give you such a good experience. Yes, go for grade 2! It is worth it. Thanks again. Iain.

Reviewed 9 February 2018

While they suggest staying for a week or more my boyfriend and I were only able to stay for 2 days. They welcomed us in even for this short stay and made us feel just as important as students who were there for months. The training was well rounded and the instructors were knowledgeable, patient, and all spoke fluent English. Training starts at dawn and is almost all day long which made our two days feel like a week on our body. We felt like we were at a true Kung Fu training camp with bamboo structures, great nutritional food, amazing mountain scenery, and incredible instructors. Everything was better than we expected. You definitely get out what you put in here, so you can train very hard all day, or train light with plenty of meditation time as well. If you need a break from the Thai food they offer here, Pai is just a 5 minute scooter drive away and they know how to cater to westerners taste buds. We read all the reviews before we booked and we were not disappointed. We would both love to return in the future for a longer stay. Thanks much to Master Iain, for establishing and maintaining this amazing camp.

Reviewed 1 February 2018 via mobile

A most satisfied student here....after learning 'Chi Gong' in UK by authentic Chinese masters I practiced this arts teachings for many years, benefiting in all it has to offer to prepare for Kungfu. What I quickly realised in Nam Yang is that I was doing many incorrect postures causing me pain in the long term. Learning 'Chi Kung' from Master Ian and his team was without question what I needed to truly learn this ancient art. All the team individually helped me fine tune key areas of my life physical, mental and spiritual.

I would highly recommend reading master Ian's book before and or after your training starts. I read the entire book in one sitting, it was a very well written, illustrated book, all schools can follow suit here. All I was taught completely made sense especially the advance teqniques.

This place is not anything I envisaged prior to arrival. The surroundings are beautiful, the food sourced from the local land, the people are amazing, the instructors are sharp and willing to share their knowledge.

It was a privilege and an honour to spend time with such amazing people in such an amazing place.

Peace and love

Serkan

Iain_Armstrong, Owner at Nam Yang Kung Fu Retreat Day Courses, responded to this reviewResponded 2 February 2018

Dear Serkan,

Sincere thanks for your detailed and very complimentary review. You have clearly put a lot of thought into what you have written. It was very good to have you here with us and I enjoyed speaking with you. Every person who comes here comes with a lesson to teach us and your was an interesting one! Good luck with your continued practise, do keep it up because the benefits are significant.

I very much hope to see you again in the future Serkan,

See more reviews
Reviewed 30 January 2018 via mobile

I well i absolutely loved the time i spent there great people awesome instructors very high quality training, had my doubts before i arrived but once i got there is was really great, and not just phisically couse i was really depressed last year since my mother passed away and there finally i was able to break out of my depression and found my happiness again, and felt that i got really reborned after those 2 weeks and im deffinetly gonna be back for more, so i would really recommend it to anyone no mather the skill level or mental condition that place is really amazing, Master Ian is surely knows what he is doing

Iain_Armstrong, Owner at Nam Yang Kung Fu Retreat Day Courses, responded to this reviewResponded 1 February 2018

Dear Tamas,

Sincere thanks for your review. It is very motivational for us to hear that we were able to make a real difference to you, even in such a short time. We do care about each of our students and do our best for everyone. I very much hope that your new found happiness and clarity will be permanent. Keep practising what you learned with us. In the mean time, we will look forwards to your next visit Tamas,