“Lower your expectations and it's not bad”
Review of Quarter Hotel

Quarter Hotel
Ranked #11 of 31 Hotels in Pai
Saudi Arabia
“Lower your expectations and it's not bad”
Reviewed 31 July 2014

I am on my fifth night at The Quarter and I have mixed feelings about this "resort". I've been on holiday for almost 7 weeks now, so I decided to splurge a bit and enjoy some of the great service reported by other reviewers. Unfortunately, The Quarter fell short of my expectations.

First, the good:

The shower is great. Don't under estimate the importance of a good shower, with the heat and humidity here if you do any walking or exercising at all, you will sweat a lot, so if you are like me you will take lots of showers. The water pressure is strong (great with the rain head) and the shower is really refreshing.

The bed is good by Thailand standards. Many hotels in Thailand have beds that feel like they are made of concrete. This bed, while still firm by western standards, is comfortable by Thai standards.

The grounds and pool were very pretty. Its a nice blend of jungle and manicured gardens. On my first night there was some sort of monkey in the tree above my room.

The location is good. It is a short walk to the walking street, close enough that you don't have to ride a scooter or bike if you want to have a few drinks, but not so close that you hear the noise while you are trying to sleep.

Now the not so good:

The staff are friendly and smile, but they don't seem to really give a darn beyond being friendly and smiling. I took some post cards to the front desk to be mailed (the book in the room says they will provide stamps and mail) and was told with a big smile, "sorry we don't have any stamps, I cannot mail it for you." The problem I have with this, is that they didn't take the next step and tell me where I could get stamps: they were perfectly happy just saying "no". (To be fair, I later complained to the manager and he offered to mail them himself, but by that point I was worried they would just sit in a drawer forgotten so I mailed them myself, which it turns out is easy to do on Walking Street.) Similarly, the book in your room gives the rates for phone calls from your room. I wanted to make a call to a local tour operator and called the front desk, "sorry we can only call inside the hotel." Again, no taking the next step and helping me figure out how I could make the call. (Again, to be fair, the manager later offered to let me use his personal cell phone, but the point is the staff just couldn't be bothered).

Another example of this is the complimentary bicycles. Most of the time I just walked, but as I was leaving the resort one evening I decided to look at the complimentary bicycles. There were five left at that time. Four of them were missing one or both of the pedals (just had the center stick). So I decided I would take the fifth. I went to the front desk and checked out a bike, as I walked back to the bikes, one of the staff walked a few yards in front of me and mounted the one good bike and rode off.

Cleaning throughout the resort is weak. The area near my toilet stunk of urine from the moment I checked in and the daily cleanings did nothing to make it better. The bed was always made up nicely, but one of my pillows (that I didn't use) was lacking a pillow case and after the first two days of cleaning when that pillow was still not covered, I finally asked them to bring me another pillow case. Instead I received two more pillows without pillow cases. What was worse was the pillows they provided had brown stains (from slobber?). I showed the stains to the girl that delivered the pillows and she smiled and put them in my closet, then came back with two pillow cases.

The patio to my room was not swept once in 5 days. That is a bigger deal than it sounds because due to the tree droppings, and insects the patio was quite filthy, and you are meant to leave your shoes there and walk barefoot into your room. So I had to do a bit of a dance to take my shoes off outside without tracking tree debris and insect parts into the room.

The internet is very spotty. I noticed that extremely late at night or early in the morning, or in the middle of the day, it was passible. But normal morning and evening times, it really is only useful for checking email and sending texts. I'm not sure if this is because all the guests using it, or all the staff who were constantly fiddling with their phones. But in any event, dont expect to be able to do any facetime or voip. (Which only makes the inability to call outside the hotel, that much more frustrating.)

Breakfast is pretty weak. The bacon was fantastic but the rest was very bland and of cheap quality (Thailand has some great sausages, so I don't understand why they serve a cold hot dog and call it pork sausage?!). If you are not there early, the buffet can be cold and out of some items. I ordered a coffee latte one morning, and it was absolutely delicious. But I was a little surprised to find out that it was 110bht (just under $4) That's still a good deal when you compare it to Starbucks, but when I remembered that some of the people I had met the night before were only paying 100bht per night for their "guesthouse" (of supposedly acceptable quality) then it really reminded me that this place brands itself as being a luxurious resort, yet it doesn't really deliver.

The net result of all of this is that I was disappointed with my stay, not with the facilities or location, but rather just because I had (perhaps unfairly) built up an expectation from the other tripadvisor reviews that I was in for great service. Expect mediocre service, and you will probably enjoy this place. None of the things that described above would have bothered me at other hotels in Thailand where I have stayed at half the price, but given all this place has been pumped-up to be, I expected more. Next time I am in Pai I will stay somewhere else.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank TCinKSA

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Reviewed 25 July 2014

We stayed at this hotel for two nights during a trip in the north of Thailand with three kids. We got two adjacent rooms.

It was surely the best we stayed in during our trip. The design of the rooms and the whole area is absolutely beautiful, the atmosphere peaceful and pleasant. The location is great with short walking distance to the center. You can also take bikes offered by the hotel for free. I took a night swim in the pool which I remember as one of my best experiences during the trip.

Luckily we had no rain, but as the whole hotel area is outside and open, it might be problematic on very rainy days.

I strongly recommend this hotel to people who like simple and yet beautiful design.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Inbal R
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 21 July 2014

The hotel was well design to blend with the local area. The service was as good as price I paid for. The hotel is located in the middle of the city and is very convenient to walk to restaurant near by. The walking street is also in front of the restaurant at the junction.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 14 June 2014

This hotel was booked for us by Untouched Thailand, so I'm unable to comment on true value for money, however as the hotel was just so incredibly stunning, I'm rating it highly anyway.

As this was booked through Untouched Thailand, I was not expecting to be staying at a hotel quite this impressive, so to say I was surprised when we pulled up here is putting it mildly. It's a beautiful resort style hotel with every little luxury you'd expect. The grounds and pool were beautiful. The rooms were unique and tastefully decorated. I'm even going to go out on a limb here and say that it's possibly one of the most beautiful hotels I've stayed in.

The buffet breakfast in the morning was excellent, as was the service on checking in and out, however that was the only contact we had with the staff.

The hotel was very well located and easy walking distance to the markets and restaurants.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Beverley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 May 2014

We originally booked River Corner Hotel as we wanted a place with a pool, when we turned up we found the place was a mess and the pool was not usable - luckily we stumbled upon Quarter!

We showed up to Quarter with no reservation and because of the low season we got a really good deal. The hotel architecture really sets a peaceful luxury retreat, room fixtures/fittings are of a high standard and nicely designed. The pool and gardens are immaculate. Location is very good, far enough away from walking street for peace and privacy but near enough for a short walk. Quarter also have free mountain bikes to use.

Only one criticism - spoken English of the staff is very poor and there is no clear management role.

Room Tip: During low season if you are a walk-in guest you can get a good discounted rate.