“Only stay here if you really have to,look for other guesthouses in town first”

Pinnacle Satun Wangmai Hotel
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Satun
Perth, Australia
“Only stay here if you really have to,look for other guesthouses in town first”
Reviewed 19 November 2012

I stayed here in transit from Langkawi to Krabi,you are better off getting the early ferry from Langkawi and early bus to Krabi.I dont recommend staying here .
The hotel is very old and smelly, unfriendly staff, in the middle of a small town.
There was a decent aircon restaurant around the corner on the main drag to your left that served
good cheap thai food, I think it was a steak or pizza place .
I wandered down the road where they had a night market on saturday nights,there were a couple of bars there at guesthouses,i think they were called On's 1 and On's 2,not sure maybe look to stay there instead,the taxi from the ferry will go past them.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank mattbut

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
  • Thai first
Maastricht, The Netherlands
Reviewed 5 September 2012

Summary: Almost everything you don't want in a hotel, this place has it (except the cheap price). It should probably get 1 star but I kind of enjoyed how bad it was in the end.

We ended up here after a nightmare trip trying to get to Langkawi and missing the last ferry. We just needed a place to sleep, didn't know anything about the town and didn't really care. So we were already in a bad mood before checking in.

Having said that, when we checked in we noticed the following: mold in the bath/shower, cockroaches behind the toilet (I killed a few that night), and what looked like blood stains on the bedsheets. To top it off, there was no safe and when we went out for dinner I couldn't lock the door from the outside, so the gf stayed back and I got some takeaway.

On the other hand, it cost 650 baht and is probably one of the few choices in Satun. Seasoned backpackers on a 1 night stay probably shouldn't mind all of this too.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Matt G

Travellers are raving about these Satun hotels

Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 12 August 2012

This is one hotel that will elicit either your complete disgust ..or you just take the place as it is. Of course this hotel has seen better times ..long time ago ..but it provides you with a nicely sized room, right in the middle of town, it is conveniently located ..and if you are a seasoned traveller ..you are just bear with the minor points of this place.

I stayed twice within one week ..the bed was clean ..the sheets were clean ..the aircon worked well, ..in one one room the air con switch was right up near the ceiling and you had to climb up on a chair to set the controls haha. The television has about 50 over satellite channels , the minibar was well stocked. Better NOT look at the carpet ..hasn't been changed for decades, so don't look too closely at the cigarette burns and the parts where the vacuum cleaner gave up.

The bath room had a nice size, hot water supply no problem, nice soft towels, and they even provided amenities. The bath tub looked a bit scarred - so the black bits you see are not dirt ..its just old age.

The front desk staff spoke excellent English, and they were very helpful and friendly. And for BT 600 a night ...I am not complaining. If you are light sleeper ..better have some ear plugs ready because the karaoke bar across the hotel goes on all night ...and the hotel housekeeping staff communicate well across the entire length of the corridor.

Breakfast wasn't included in the room rate, and I went for local food along the main road.

By the way, there are lots of very nice local restaurants less than as 100 m from the hotel on the main road, and there is also a charming local music pub.

WiFi is free of charge at the hotel ..but I couldn't get a signal. I went to On's Guesthouse about 500 meters walking distance (behind the mosque) for a good meal and did my email there too.

So, don't be too harsh on this hotel ..its an experience. Sathun is a typical southern Thai town, with a great blend of local mixes , people are friendly, everything is nice and slow, ...no McDonald's yet ..thank God.

Room Tip: Try and get a room facing the back of the hotel ..less noisy
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
borneo
Reviewed 5 July 2012

Towel : yes
Toiletries : yes
Minibar : soft drinks, beer & mineral water
Restaurant / cafe : yes
Hot shower : yes

Room is clean and comfortable, the linen is fresh as you can smell the lemony scent! Toilet is ok with a hot shower and toiletries amenities if you need any. They do have bathtub but looks abit old, but if you don't mind then it wouldn't be a problem. Boat ticket to Koh Lipe or Langkawi is available just outside the hotel as there is a few travel agents which all of them sell boat tickets (try Satun Travel - just outside the hotel with the glass door n screen as the lady speaks English which is easy to communicate). All boats depart at Tammalang Pier so Tuk Tuk to the pier cost about 200baht. Outside hotel mostly dinning outlets with our favorite store the 7-11 where all foods is easy !!

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank pimpmytravel
Cologne, Germany
Reviewed 21 June 2012

Although this hotel seems to be known as a business hotel for chinese people the value is really poor. The rooms as well as the hotel itself urgently need a renovation.
Thanks god we just had to stay for one night. We got two double rooms, one evil-smelling and the other one had a water damage and the walls were still wet.
The stuff was friendly but we had a big discussion with the Songtaew driver and the page boy of the hotel. Both wanted us to pay a second time for the ride ... no comment.
The location of the hotel is ok, that's why it gets an extra "star".
Do not stay here if you do not have to.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Gurko
UK
Reviewed 19 October 2011

I had an overnight stop-over here, on the long journey south from Prachuap Khiri Khan to Langkawi. My bus down Thailand was delayed (no surprise there) so I didn't arrive in Satun until 10pm. My bus dropped me off on the main street right by the hotel, so this was definitely the easiest option. I paid 500B for the room.

The staff are polite, although the ones on the desk when I arrived didn't speak much English (I don't suppose they get a huge number of tourists here, especially arriving during the night shift), but we managed ok. The room they gave me was large and clean, although a bit run down. One of the main lights in the room didn't work when I was shown into the room, but the hotel employee who showed me to the room immediately replaced the bulb.

The room had a large double bed, which was comfortable, and A/C, but it wasn't hot enough to use it when I visited. The only real issue I had was discovered very early the following morning - no hot water (despite the front desk having assured me when I arrived that the room had hot water). I did ask about the hotel water after my cold shower, but we couldn't really communicate well enough to understand each other, so I have no idea if the hot water wasn't working in my room, or if some cheaper rooms didn't have hot water at all. But I was only staying one night, so I didn't really care.

Satun doesn't seem to offer a huge amount for the tourist, so I can't imagine many people plan to spend a long time here, but this place is ok for a night or so.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank A-Canadian-in-London
Also consider these accommodations in or near Satun
The One Boutique Hotel
#2 of 13 in Satun
V Valley Resort
V Valley Resort
#4 of 13 in Satun

Been to Pinnacle Satun Wangmai Hotel? Share your experiences!