“Ko Lipe - did I visit a different island?!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Tarutao National Marine Park

Ranked #1 of 10 things to do in Satun
More attraction details
Owner description: Located in the Andaman Sea, this is Thailand’s largest marine park that is a popular area for outdoor naturalists, snorkelers and scuba divers.
london
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“Ko Lipe - did I visit a different island?!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2011

Having read the last two reviews, I don't understand - did I visit somewhere else named Ko Lipe?! I visited a year ago (after these reviews were written) and found it charming and beautiful. Expensive and overdeveloped? Development is low rise and low key, and concentrated on the beachfronts (it doesn't take away from the beauty of the beaches) and one central street/path. No tarmac roads, no traffic apart from one or two locals on a scooter. You can walk around the island and see nobody. We stayed in a bamboo bungalow in a lovely lush garden on Sunrise beach for 450baht in high season. I didn't see any litter, water was crystal clear and the snorkelling is the best I have ever done. I'm not saying this is a deserted island where you have to camp - clearly this is a place with lots of tourists where you can get a beer and a nice meal in the evening, but (so far) development has not spoilt the natural beauty of this tiny island. Ko Samui it ain't.

Visited July 2010

Banff, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Kho Phi Phi Tragedy #2”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2011

I was shocked at Kho Phi Phi, both by its beauty and its ugliness.
Sure its paradise, but its infested with young drunk egotistical foreigners.
I could not and will not reccommend it to anyone unless they have a desire to be part of the problem and not the solution.

Young, rich westerners disrespecting the environment, local history, culture and each other.

If you want to be the change we need in this world, stay away.

Visited January 2011
9 Thank madelinekruber
London
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Cheap accommodation near a quiet beach good bird watching nowhere to comfortably chill”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 December 2010

I didn't expect a large tiled room or a band stand! The pluses are: a large tiled room and bathroom with a verandah 100m from the beach. The beach is long, White sand, deserted when we were there and some amazing driftwood which makes it look like a sculpture park. At the far end is a pretty pool. I loved hearing all the bird song and seeing hornbills. Hoped to see monkeys but didn't . It's very quiet here and given the weather could be relaxing. We had poor weather and it really didn't work for us as our bungalow (12) didn't have much of a sea view (best are 1 and 2 and then up to 7 have good views). The restaurant is in the woods so no sea views and the food was cheap but poor. You could sit in the wood on the edge of the beach for shade and there is supposed to be good snorkelling at one point of the beach but it was too rough when were there. The snorkelling trips seemed expensive (later we took a snorkelling trip from Koh Lipe and found ourselves at a beautiful natural beach with shade on the other side of Koh Adang ! I was keen to see the waterfalls, the one you can walk to turned out to be up a steep hill full of tree routes. We met someone who said it wasn't worth the walk. Lastly the electricity is off between 11pm and 6.30 which I was fine with until I realised it meant no fan at night. The bungalow does have excellent mosquito screens on all the windows though so air does circulate. Unlike the previous reviewer I found the bed fine and slept well because of the light airy nature of the rom and the screens meaning no need for a mosquito net. I could imagine a good couple of days here swimming, looking at the view from bungalows 1-4 sitting in the shade of the wood looking out to see and hopping on a long tail boat for the 15 minute ride (stunning water and 100b per person) to castaway or (next door) on sunrise beach for great food and decent coffee. At 748 B a night it's certainly a good cheap You book through http://www.thaiforestbooking.com. You can only book 60 days ahead ( I think) and it does get booked up.

5 Thank 1largesingha
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Koh Adang - away from it all, but not for the fainthearted”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2010

I was looking forward to the stay on Koh Adang, the undeveloped island in the Tarutao National Park where you can stay in National Park accommodation, for a taste of the quiet life and the sparking turquoise waters that I'd seen pictures of online. Perhaps it was the weather (cloudy at best, sometimes torrential and always disappointing) or perhaps it's me and that I'm getting too old for budget accommodation, but I had a dismal time. The accommodation itself is very good value at £16 a night for a private bungalow with bathroom, and it was certainly clean, but I had the most uncomfortable two nights there on account of the beds (other travellers have complained of the hard beds in Thailand and I've had to disagree - but this really was like sleeping on a board), the shortage of electricity (available from 18:30 to 23:30 only) which put paid to the electric fan overnight, and the very chilly cold water shower. I was also very disappointed with the view from our bungalow (of the Rangers station. If you do decide to go here, I would advise you to book bungalow 1 or 2) and the scenery in general. As I mentioned, the weather was poor so the sea was not the emerald/turquoise mirror I had hoped for), but the beach was largely without shade and the sand very gritty. All in all, it wasn't a good spot to hang out in, and neither was the restaurant, which was extremely utilitarian and, much worse, built right away from the beach. This may seem trivial, but it would have made all the difference being able to gaze out to sea on a shady terrace with a cold drink to hand. On the plus side, we did see a colony of hornbills and were delighted by the birdsong of what is still a mystery bird whose whistles came in bursts of 8 to 10, each more piercing than the last, until they stopped abruptly only to begin again a few minutes later.
If you're looking for the simple life and don't mind a bit of discomfort, then this could be the right place for you, especially if the sun is shining - but I'm afraid I wouldn't recommend it.

26 Thank MinxOnTheMove
Philadelphia, PA
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 98 helpful votes
“This place is awful. Stay away.........”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2010

I was on Ko Lipe in March 2010. I took a 5 hour ferry from Ko Lanta got a bungalow for the night (lots of dirty ones abound) smelled the rubbish piled up in the yards everywhere, took a look at the very noisy tourist filled beaches and got on the next boat out in the morning. Do not bother to come here. It is dirty and full of tourists. It is a shame but true.........

14 Thank SunnyDays