Lowest prices for your stay
Lowest price we found
ZenHotels.com
StayForLong
Trip.com
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 19 December 2012

I stayed with a friend in Orchid Hibiscus in December for two nights.If we would not haved been asked to pay in advance, we would definitely not have stayed a second night.

The bungalow we had for 1500 baths per night was awfuly furnished, not very cleaned and the beds were extremely hard (at this level this is not a bed anymore). We both have been biten by fleas in the bed and my friend found a cockroach under her pillow. After 9pm it was no warm shower anymore, without any information... we had to wait till the next morning.

Pool's water was murky and the beautiful deckchair you can see on the website pictures are tattered.
Wifi is not free, despite it is mentioned as free on the website.
Distance to the historical park is not 800 meters but twice this distance.

We booked a standard room but due to an unexpected delay in transportation, we had to postpone our arrival by one night. The owner, Paolo, said the hotel was fully booked on the second night and suggested us to book a bungalow, more expensive of course. As we pre-booked we did not have the choice. Considering the awful context, we were not very surprised that the hotel was almost empty and we felt being conned.

The second evening, one member of the hotel made a fire to burn weeds in about 10 meters from our bungalow.

At the hotel we met two couples who shared our view and I am now very doubtful regarding the very elogious comments. Pictures of the hotel are old and this place looks like nothing had been maintained for years or since it got its famous popularity if it had it once.
The only positive point is that there is a washing machine next to the pool for 20 baths and you can let them dry. Breakfast is copious indeed but not incredible if you don't need to have 10 slides of bread and half a liter of honey.

To me this is not a guest house but a very unwelcoming hotel and I would even give a zero if it was possible.

Room tip: Bungalow are not worth for the price difference.
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank 75,019
Reviewed 16 December 2012

First of all I should point our that I did not, in fact, stayed overnight on the premises, so I cannot judge of the quality of the rooms etc...

BUT, I can relate my experience in dealing with the owner.
I had booked this hotel for a one night stay in Sukhothai, for its convenient location relative to the historical site.

I had subsequently sent an email to the hotel, asking about transfer from Sukhothai's bus station and the availability of a shuttle service.
Having received no answer and also noticing that my arrival time in Sukhothai was later than the latest check-in times, I decided to call the hotel.
This is where things got very wrong indeed: for *politely* enquiring about the two things above (shuttle/directions, check-in times), I litterally got yelled at. I unmistakenly was talking to the italian owner of the place who, in essence, told me to call booking.com if I had a problem or questions before promptly hanging up on me.

I called booking.com subsequently, informing them about the previous telephone conversation, stating that I could not in these conditions envision staying in this hotel. Booking.com acknowledged my complaint and called the hotel themselves. I was finally informed that the hotel would not refund the charge applied to my card should I not show up.

I decided to forget about my booking, as we could only arrive at 8pm when the latest check-in time was 7pm: it was very clear to me that I would find closed doors in these conditions once arrived at the guesthouse, which I would not risk.

I thus booked another hotel to be sure to enjoy Sukhothai and would suggest any reader of this post looking at this hotel to do the same.
Likewise, the owner of this guesthouse should seriously ask himself what he is doing in this line of business when simple and normal questions make his temper flare so much.

Would definitely not recommend.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3  Thank g0f-BiB
Reviewed 12 December 2012

We arrived and felt comfortable! The Italian owner welcomed us warmly and provided us the best information about our visit to the ruins. The resort is a perfect retreat to relax and start the excursion. There is a wonderful pool with deckchairs, the garden is perfectly in shape and you can do walking tours around the property. The bungalows have different sizes but all were nice decorated and equipped. Breakfast was well done and restaurants are also around.

Date of stay: October 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 11 December 2012

We have been staying in Chiang Mia for the last three weeks and hire a car each weekend to tour the surrounding countryside, this weekend it was a trip to Sukhothai which is a 5 hour drive south. We stayed in Orchid Hibiscus because of the photos on the webpage and it definitely lived up to our expectations. The complex of small houses and a guestroom block are something from a picture postcard, the pool, surrounding garden and chill out areas are a credit to the owners. For the weekend we booked a room with on-suite and it was perfect for our needs although the mattress and pillows are very very very firm (sleeping in a tent without a mat comes to mind) but it did not stop us having two good nights sleep. Breakfast of Tea/coffee, scrambled eggs, toast and jam followed by local coconut rice, banana and wild honey was excellent. There is bicycle hire outside the door, the night market is on route to the village which is a 5 minute walk and another 5 minutes walk finds you at the entrance to the historic park and museum. The aircon unit in our room was perfect, it had three speeds and once we got the room temp to our liking we turned the fan down to min and perfect. We ate in the village where we found lots of choice, very good food and free WiFi and all in all had a fab stay in Sukhothai and the Orchid Hibiscus.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 9 December 2012

Stayed only for a night in this guesthouse as had to move to next destination.
Nice pool and lush garden.
Good advise of the owner on the visits of beautiful sukhothai even if he is quite a ''personnage'' of strong personality which may not fit all tastes.
Apparently compared to our friends staying at same time than us, we have not been lucky with our room which had a matelass made of concrete and pillows in bricks...very very hard.
Decoration of the room is kitsch and again may not fit all tastes.
Good location of the guesthouse close to historical town.
Nice breakfast.