“Unique Experience”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mgahinga Gorilla National Park
Mount Gahinga Lodge
Reviewed 13 January 2011

I loved the setting of this lodge. You are surrounded by vegetation. The chateaus were so cute. It was good being in the country side surrounded by farmland. We were a short walk from the park. The food was excellent. Staff were kind and helpful. A great experience.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with friends

Reviewed 22 October 2010

My wife and I ended our two week trip with two nights at Mt. Gahinga Lodge. It was a great trip and a great place to end the journey. We were the only guests while there, but it worked out great. Francis, Innocencia, Stephen, Julius.....everyone was great. Stephen's food was delicious (tilapia, pork chops, stew, fried potatoes, mushroom soup, minestrone soup..I could keep going), and the staff made us a cake for our 2 year anniversary while there. What a nice thought!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 October 2010

What a great place!! fantastic food, accomodation, service and views!!! Certainly not what I was expecting but definately more x

Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 October 2009

This place is a hidden gem. And when I say hidden, I mean the best "African massage" around. The road to get there was the bumpiest and most crowded road of our entire trip.
We had to drive through a market with hundreds of people!! But once we were there, the lodge was worth it.

The grounds are beautiful with scenic views of volcanoes Muhavura, Gahinga, and Sabinyo. The sun room is the perfect place to relax with a cup of tea before and/or after your daily massage. It's bright, comfy, and feels like home. In the evening we met others in the main dining area to sit by the fire and talk about the adventures from the day. Be sure to ask for a glass of Amarula.

This lodge had the best chef out of the 3 Volcanoes Lodges we stayed in. Like the others, you pick the time you want to eat breakfast and they will have ready for you: fresh brewed coffee, juicy local fruits, freshly-squeezed passion fruit juice, hot porridge, and fluffy almost orange eggs. Dinner was delightful - amazing soup, a very nice main course, and a fabulous dessert. The best dinner I had while traveling with Volcanoes.

We didn't gorilla track while staying at this lodge because we chose to see the golden monkeys in Mgahinga National Park instead. This little gem of a park is within walking distance from the lodge. I HIGHLY recommend visiting this park for at least a day, maybe two. The hiking is amazing and there are other things to do. The chef packed us a lunch for our hike but we arrived back early so he prepared us a hot lunch too, a yummy veggie lasagna with a creamy sauce.

One of my complaints about this place is the lack of lighting and signs to figure out where your room is! Make sure to take a lantern to dinner b/c it's pitch black walking back to the room when you are done. On a more positive note, the view of the sky was the most incredible thing I have ever seen in my life. Soooo many stars and everything looked so close.

The rooms are round looking huts that are very cute from the outside but this lodge had my least favorite rooms of the 3 lodges. I think the brighter rooms are below the main area by the massage "hut" but we stayed above the main area. The room we were in was too dark, even during the day because of the way it is built. Functionally the set up blocks light from entering the room during the day. The bathroom area has a nice shower but doesn't have a sink like the other lodges did. Instead there is a plastic looking basin with no drainage that only gets cleaned once a day, in the afternoon. One more complaint, the water wasn't replaced with hot water at night for washing up like in the other places.

Aside from those things, the room was comfortable and perfect for sleeping because they are dark, cold, and super quiet. Keep in mind, this lodge is at a very high elevation and gets very chilly at night. So make sure to pack layers and very warm socks!! The staff does put hot water bottles in the bed but it's still very cold.

The staff here wasn't as "on top" of things as the other places but they were very pleasant. I think they were under some pressure though, because the general manager of all the properties was staying there the same time we were. So we may have experienced something that is not their normal standard. Overall, the service was good just a little more relaxed.

That being said though, I definitely wouldn't have missed staying at any of the Volcanoes Lodges because each has many more positives than negatives and I would stay at any of them again!!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TravelGirlBetsy
Reviewed 20 July 2009

On my way from Bwindi Lodge through to Virunga Lodge I stayed two nights at the Mt Gahinga Lodge. I was thoughtfully greeted by staff with a cold passionfruit juice and wet flannel, very refreshing after a long drive. This is an eco lodge with composting toilets and a bush shower, but they are perfectly fine. The bandas are rustic, all wood and stone, so charming and full of character and a good size too. The food was generous and very tasty. The staff were amazing, so thoughtful. As I was travelling alone I certainly appreciated Innocentia's kindness and indeed company, she took me for a village walk which I thoroughly enjoyed and was able to explain everything I saw in good detail. I went trekking to see the Golden Monkey which I did see, pretty and fascinating creatures. I also went to visit Garama Cave , an enormous cave that used to house 300 of the pygmy people when they still lived in the forest. The views are spectacular, the three enormous volcanos rising up before you, Mt Muhavura, Mt Gahinga and Mt Sabinyo. There is such peace and quiet here, I enjoyed sitting on my verandah having coffee in the afternoon listening to the sounds in the distance, goats ,children laughing, very relaxing. It got cold in the evening so was lovely to sit by the open fire in the lodge and to know I had 2 hot water bottle placed in my bed each night. I thoroughly recommend this lodge and enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 June 2009

Mount Gahinga is a lovely lodge, with comfortable, eco-friendly rooms and a terrific staff. It is a pity that the gorilla family has moved, as this makes this location (1 1/2 hours from next gorilla trailhead) too far for convenience.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 April 2009

Mount Gahinga Lodge was the second stop of three of Volcanoes Safari's lodges. This property surprised us with its simple beauty. The mountain gorilla's have moved across the invisible bordger between Uganda and Congo, so seeing them here is unlikely at this time. We did, however, track and find the elusive Golden Monkey. This property is truly lovely, situated at the base of a beautiful volcano; the gardens are beautiful and well tended. The banda's are round - different than those at the other two locations; totally comfortable. Lodge manager Japheth Ndikuryayo led us on a village walk - past fields of potato's surrounded by stone walls, goats, farmers, children, beautiful views of rolling terrain. The silence was amazing - no airplanes, few motorized vehicles, certainly none to be heard here, no motorized farm vehicles. Children followed us on our walk as though one of us were the Pied Piper - they were as curious about us as we were about them! Our walk ended after 3 or 4 kilometers at what Japheth referred to as a village. We were treated to traditional dancing by the villagers. One of many highlights of our trip.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with family
#2 of 32 in Bwindi Impenetrable National Park
Chameleon Hill Lodge Bwindi
Chameleon Hill Lodge Bwindi
#6 of 32 in Bwindi Impenetrable National Park

Been to Mount Gahinga Lodge? Share your experiences!