“The nicest hotel we stayed in Uzbekistan”
Review of Sasha & Son

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Bukhara
Sasha & Son
Ranked #6 of 23 Hotels in Bukhara
Reviewed 27 October 2009

We spent 2 nights at this hotel and really enjoyed our stay. We chose this hotel because it offered the opportunity to stay in the home of a traditional bukharian merchant, with all the associated traditional architecture and decor.

The bedrooms are off a series of interconnected courtyards and all the ones I saw appeared to be very spacious. The rooms had twin beds (most have twin beds rather than doubles), table with chairs, mini-bar/fridge, small wardrobe, air con and are equipped with satelite tv. It was also spotlessly clean which wasn't the case with every hotel we stayed in Uzbekistan. The main selling point though is the traditional bright coloured paintings on all the walls, very unique. The bathrooms in this hotel were the best we encounterd in Uzbekistan, they were very spacious, had corner baths with shower, a large sink/vanity unit and toilet. The hotel is on the edge of Lyabi Hauz, an easy walk to most of the tourist sites and close to all the restaurants recommended in our guide book. The breakfast was good, either pancakes or eggs cooked to order, along with a buffet selection of bread, fruit, juice, tea/coffee and biscuits. Each evening they ask you what time you'd like breakfast the next day and they expect you to stick to it, we were chased up one morning for being 15 minutes late!

The main disadvantage of this hotel is it's used by several tour companies, this can result in feeling a little sidelined as the staff rush around to cater to the tour group. Also we booked about 3 weeks in advance and had initally wanted to stay a 3rd night, the booking was initally accepted and then reduced to 2 nights, admittedly within a couple of hours, to allow them to cater for a tour group that had just booked.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank womanintokyo
There are newer reviews for Sasha & Son

Reviewed 17 October 2009

Good hotel located 2 minutes from the 'action' of Bukhara. Our rooms were around one small courtyard and were fairly large, twin beds, fridge, aircon and a large bathroom with a shower over a corner bath. The walls were all hand painted with plaster designs. It was possible to sit in our courtyard and have a drink and relax, fine for summer but perhaps less so in the cold winter months. As other reviewers have stated there was a smell within the bathroom however it was not too unpleasant. Lighting in the room was low however reading was possible using the bedside lights.
Breakfast was fine with eggs/pancakes cooked to order every morning. All staff were well trained and pleasant. It was also useful talking to Sasha himself. There are other similar small hotels in and around this old quarter of Bukhara which would be equally charming. Although located in small alley way it is so close to the centre and to eating places and Bukhara appears very safe.. We did not eat at night in the hotel but walked to restauarnts/cafes in the town, there are several around the Lyab-I-Hauz, one near to the lyab-i-hauz on a rooftop and one again with several floors overlooking the Kalon minaret. In need of something other than Uzbek food we turned right from the end of the alley, walked away from the Lyab-i-hauz and after agood five minutes walk found an excellent italian restaurant.
Bukhara really lends itself to 'wandering' and has shops, bazzars and madrassers where the vendors although keen to make a sale like to talk and engage without the hard sell. There is much to see and being based in Sasha and son means it can all be accessed on foot. Its worth paying for the 'wine tasting' if you like wine in the company of an engaging uzbek couple, the puppet show and if it rocks your boat the fashion show,
We could not really fault the hotel, it is however well known and because of this will get full and attract a number of bigger groups.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with friends
2  Thank KevanEastYorkshire
Reviewed 14 November 2008

One of the greatest advantages this hotel has over many others in Bukhara is that they were probably, the inventors of the winning formula - a b&b made in touristy Central Asian style, positioned as 'traditional'.

Well, this formula brought them to all the main publications on Central Asia, but it has to be admitted that many other b&bs arrived later to overtake the original.

There are at least a dozen similar hotels in the same area - some offering better service, some better prices, others located in more traditional buildings. I am not saying this famous brand has gone sour, just that you or your travel agent have to do a bit of homework to investigate all available options.

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank SamarkandLocal
Reviewed 30 September 2008

I stayed here for three nights in September 2008. I had mixed feelings about this place, and I’m afraid my review is going to reflect that - my apologies! On the one hand, it had been very hyped to me before I came, which unfortunately had the opposite effect of predisposing me not to like it. On the other hand, it has many positive qualities. I would stay here again, and I would like it, but it would probably not be my first choice.

Positives:

- The hotel is in a great location, just about a 1-2 minute walk to the Lyab-I-Hauz pool and the central part of Bukhara. I walked alone in the neighborhood at night frequently and always felt safe (I am female).

- It is on a very quiet side street (more like an alley); I heard no noise from the street, the courtyards, or other rooms. (My room faced one of the smaller interior courtyards.)

- My single room had a large, comfortable bed; the bed almost filled the room, but I slept well on it, which is what matters.

- I had one of the best meals I ate in Central Asia in this hotel’s dining room – a vegetarian feast of sauteed fresh mushrooms and rice. Vegetarians suffer in Central Asia, but not at this hotel!

- The A/C worked well, although it was a little on the noisy side.

- Internet cafes, shops, and cafes are all within a few minutes of the hotel.

- The room contained a nice cold refrigerator.

- The staff were mostly helpful and friendly.

Negatives/other factors

- “Bed and breakfast” is kind of a misnomer, at least relative to how that term is used in the U.S. This was once a house, long ago, but it’s long since been expanded and modified into a hotel. I know Bukhara likes to use the term “B&B” to refer to this kind of place, but if you are expecting an American-style B&B (an actual house, owner-occupied), you won’t find it here. This is a hotel.

- The room quality at this place is quite variable. Some rooms are huge and gorgeous; others are smaller and less well decorated and furnished. My room (#23) was one of the latter. I visited about six other rooms, most of which were considerably nicer, and larger, I thought, including other singles. I would strongly suggest you take a look at several rooms before committing to one.

- My room was quite dark, even with every possible light on, and the bedside lights were especially dim; I had to squint to read in bed.

- My bathroom also had a strong sewage-type smell from the minute I walked in, and it stayed that way during my whole stay - ugh. I heard a couple others complaining about this problem as well.

- The breakfast “buffet” is tiny, but every day they cook something to order for you: pancakes one day, eggs the next, crepes the next. (Food quality overall is high.)

In summary, I did like Sasha’s, really I did, but I didn’t find it as charming and as unique as I’d been led to expect. In retrospect, I wish I hadn’t heard anything about it before my stay, because I might have liked it better; this of course isn’t the hotel’s fault. I know that I’d be quite satisfied if I stayed here again, but I’d probably try to find something different for next time.

Stayed: September 2008
1  Thank velevele
Reviewed 7 August 2008

Stumbled upon this hotel by chance and was definately the 'find' of our trip. Hidden down a winding Uzbek back street, Sasha's & Son is an excellent family-run hotel, with large rooms renovated in traditional and detailed Uzbekistan designs. There's a courtyard area that looks like a zone from the Crystal Maze, such is the intricate artwork and symbolism adorning the walls and walkways.

The bathroom's a little small, and has the mind-boggling half-size 'midget' bath that seems to be popular in a lot of central asian hotels!

That aside, the rooms were clean, very comfortable and highly decorated with a TV showing the major news channels and a super cheap mini-bar (we had about 4 beers and a carton of apple juice which came to just 5 dollars!).

Four of us sat in the courtyard area, chatting and drinking beers til the early hours and if you're in a small group this hotel's worth it for this alone.

Totally recommended.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 23 May 2008

Small, charming place billing itself as a B&B, but clearly in the category of a boutique hotel.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 November 2007

This small hotel was well set up and in a good location (a few minutes walk away from the 'Duck Pond' and major sights). The room was fairly clean and a good size, but the bathroom had a very strange smell which we never managed to get rid off. Also the room was beseiged by ants. I found the staff pretty indifferent , unfriendly and unhelpful. Still a good choice compared to other hotel options in Bukhara, but I feel that they are starting to get complacent and standards are starting to slip here.

• Stayed: May 2007