“Dirty Basic hotel from Sinh Tourist tour”
Review of Hoa Phuong

Hoa Phuong
Hoa Phuong
Ranked #39 of 45 Hotels in Can Tho
Paris, France
“Dirty Basic hotel from Sinh Tourist tour”
Reviewed 20 May 2012 via mobile

Ok I know the tour from Sinh tourist is quite cheap, but there'are a lot of better hôtels at the same price. Obviously they have an agreement with sinh tourist.

the main problem is the dirt, the whole place would benefit from a serious cleanup. The sheets were not changed, hundreds of mosquitos in the room, bathroom with flees' suite all over...

Breakfast is ok but almost only viet food

• Stayed May 2012
3 Thank rollingmarie

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Hebrew first
NSW
Reviewed 26 April 2012

Like most people who have reviewed this hotel I stayed here for 1 night as part of a 2 day tour of the Mekong delta organised by Sinh Tourism. When I booked I didn't know which hotel I would be staying at but I did know it was a 1 star hotel and therefore I had minimal expectations. As it turned out my expectations were probably exceeded a little. I think some of the reviewers of this hotel are a bit 'precious' and should have paid a little extra for a higher graded hotel.

I don't know what I paid for the hotel but it could not have been much. I paid US$35 in total for the 2 day tour - this included comfortable airconditioned bus to the delta and back, the 1 night accommodation at Hoa Phuong (including light breakfast), multiple boat trips, 1 lunch, and a guide. As I was travelling alone I had to pay a supplement of US$8 (so 2 people travelling together would pay just US$27 each!). And it appears some people expected a ritzy room for that tour price!

My brief observation of the hotel was that it had seen better days but it was relatively well maintained and clean. True the desk staff did not speak fluent english (1 or 2 reviewers seemed to think this was an issue - did they forget they were in Vietnam?) but I didn't have any major issues with communication.

My room was on the second floor (and yes, as highlighted by at least 1 reviewer, no lift so I had to walk up stairs!). There was a slight damp smell when I opened the door but after a short time it didn't bother me. The room was quite spacious and old but clean comprising 2 quite wide single beds, air-conditioning, a TV (useless), a bar fridge (not turned on), a selection of drinks on a desk (at prices not much higher than at the supermarket, but not cold), a telephone (useful for getting a wake-up call), a bedlight that I couldn't get to work) and a couple of small chairs. The bathroom was also a good size comprising a toilet, a handbasin and a shower over a bath. The water was hot, and basic toiletries (toilet paper, soap, toothbrush) were provided. And yes, there was no shower curtain, which seemed to bother 1 or 2 reviewers. I felt the room was very good value.

Breakfast comprised eggs (cooked to your preference), crusty bread, jam, bananas, coffee and
green tea. Simple, but OK.

During my stay I didn't encounter any cockroaches mentioned by other reviewers.

The hotel is 20 mins walk from the river front which has a nice walking promenade and many restaurants/cafes.

A tip is to ensure you have ear plugs no matter where you stay because you will probably have to put up with excessive use of loudspeakers going well into the night (continuous commentary if a sporting or other event) and early in the morning (for indoctrination!).

In summary, if you want simple, cheap accommodation for 1 night you should consider this hotel.

Room Tip: For more quietness, try to get a room away from the balcony that overlooks the street.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
london
Reviewed 20 February 2012

I stayed at the Hoa Phuong as part of a Mekong tour organised by Singh Tourist. As the night before we had stayed at another dismal hotel and had been told by other travellers who'd stayed here that this one was even worse, our guide rang ahead and asked that we be given 'good' rooms. When we got there we were shown 4 rooms: the first smelled like an old ashtray, the second was noisy as it faced the road, the third was damp and the air-con didn't work. The fourth one was at the back, relatively quiet and almost smell-free. No hot water though (you can't have everything, right?). Breakfast was an experience I've done my best to forget.
The only vaguely pretty part of this unremarkable town is the river front, which is a good 20- minute walk from the hotel. Other than cost, I can't imagine why on earth anyone would choose to stay here.

Room Tip: If you have to stay here ask for a room at the back of the building.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these Can Tho hotels

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 1 September 2011

Stayed here for one night on the 2D1N Mekong Delta tour offered by The Sinh Tourist (formerly known as The Sinh Cafe)

First, the plus points:
Ridiculously inexpensive
Room air-conditioned
TV available
Beds comfortable enough
Breakfast provided; simple but satisfactory

Next, the minus points:
Hotel is old and run-down, no lifts available. Fortunately we were on the 2nd floor and our bags weren't heavy.
Room was old and dirty, saw a cockroach on the floor, bar fridge was not working.
Air con was freezing although we set it at the highest possible temperature.
Toilet was old and dirty, roof was leaking, no shower curtain, water heater not working.. had to bathe in cold water.. this was bad for the first 10 seconds but I must admit it turned out to be quite refreshing after that.
Not many attractions in the immediate vicinity, only 1 'megamart' nearby (few minutes away by foot).
Front desk staff speak little English; front desk does not operate 24h.

Overall, a very basic hotel. I suppose you get what you pay for. Stayed here only because I was on a package tour. I don't think I would stay at this hotel otherwise.

Verdict: Can tolerate if it's just for one night. If I were to spend more than one night in Can Tho, I think I would pay a little more to stay at a better place.

Room Tip: ask for lower floors if you have a lot of luggage as there are no elevators
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Ang_M26
Reviewed 2 July 2011

It's a cheap hotel with dark and old rooms. It's about 20 minutes walking to the center.
Maybe if it was cheaper it would be a good option but not with this price.

• Stayed July 2011
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed 10 May 2011

This is a one star hotel with basic trained staff.The staff here were not very helpful and appeared grumpy. The rooms were not very clean but did have air conditioning and a tv. It was noisy at night. The breakfast in the morning was not worth getting up for. If this hotel is part of a tour I would suggest opting for a higher standard hotel

• Stayed April 2011
Ohio
Reviewed 3 January 2011

Stayed here as part of Sinh Cafe Tour and will never go with them again. This hotel is not well managed as the front desk staff were not friendly and did not speak English very well. The rooms had paper thin walls, so you can hear everything that is going on in the adjacent room. The bathroom were filthy and did not look like they have been cleaned since the last people moved out. No shower curtain, no tubs. It was a shower head next to the toilet. There were stains on the sheets and tiny bedbugs creeping around. Thankfully, we did not find any roaches like others have said. You do get for what you paid for, but we did not expect this as Sinh Cafe told us it was a nice and decent hotel and it certainly is NOT - it may be cheap and good for the money, but definitely not nice. Oh and if you do happen to have a window overlooking the city, you will surely be waken up at 5 a.m to the communistic mantra that is blasting from the radio throughout the city. Otherwise, it's great for backpackers and those who like staying in hostels.

• Stayed December 2010