“Cockroach roommates!”

Sunflower One Hotel
Ranked #26 of 36 Hotels in Hai Phong
“Cockroach roommates!”
Reviewed 11 December 2013 via mobile

Lots of cockroaches and the hardest bed I've ever slept on. If you can get it for less than $10 may be OK we only stayed because it was part of a tour.

Location is Ok there didn't seem to be a restaurant and the electricity went off 4 times. Also the showers are positioned at a height only a smurf would find useful!

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends

Families
Business
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 27 May 2013

I was there in May'13. I am glad to say, luckily I only stayed there for one night.
The water out from the tab is taste salty. And the reason given by the receptionist is that because the hotel is in the island. Please don't tell me that they use the sea water for the guests for shower, etc!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
At night, the reception and the lobby are dark, and without on any lights. Me and my dear have to walk in the dark. It's make me feel so scary like a hunted hotel..
Anyway, I not recommend anyone of you to visit this hotel and I see the price is not cheap too. There still have plenty choices of hotel in Catba, please avoid this hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Hai Phong hotels

New York City, New York
Reviewed 28 April 2013

After a two day trip through Halong Bay I was placed in the Sunflower Hotel. The staff was not friendly nor seem to speak good English. When I was about to go to bed I found a cockroach on my bed, next to my pillow! I managed to swap rooms after a very lengthy and heated discussion the guy at the reception, who could not speak English.

The staff at restaurant barely spoke a word and the food was definitely not the best I had in Vietnam. Can't recommend anyone to stay here.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
USA
Reviewed 28 July 2012

We came here with the Christina Deluxe Cruise - this is one of those very Asian, mold/smoke-filled hotels with over the top, tacky, gold decorations, 100% broken wifi and absurdly rude employees. Our room was quiet and the AC worked but it definitely wasn’t as clean as we would have liked (among other issues, there were hairs everywhere - gross) and if we were at a $15 Super Eight Motel in America, I would have been appalled and left. HOWEVER, it wasn’t unbearable and our room was an escape from the cigarette smoke. Oh- the shower is just a hose with no shower head. That was different. As for the food, it’s the greasiest, cheapest quality food ever BUT we shockingly didn’t get food poisoning so that’s amazing. Oh my god – the first lunch there was so ridiculous! We showed up right on time with our group – they had 8 of us sit at one table and 4 of us sit at another. The group of eight got served their food, then seconds and our table just had to sit and wait – WE WAITED 40 MINUTES!!!!!!!!!!! The eight of them finished their food and left before we were even served despite us repeatedly asking. Then, they gave us BARELY any food – definitely not enough for us to fill up where as the first group got tons. WHY???????????????????????? There were no free drinks either – even water cost money. If you’re a vegetarian like me, you’ll survive – there’s rice, morning glory, vegetarian spring rolls, a gross corn dish, two kinds of fake meat/fake seafood (these were too gross for me though), and peanuts but I’m sure they’re covered in MSG ( but all the food probably was) and a little bit of fruit. The breakfast was better – vegetarian soup, fried noodles, pineapple rice and watermelon. And for breakfast, they gave us free water or lemon juice (no tea or coffee) but I literally got shoved then yelled at by an employee for trying to fill up my water bottle from their water dispenser. Yeah. As for Cat Ba island itself – gross. It’s dirty and there’s nothing to do or see. I’d definitely recommend NOT doing the three day/two night tour that sticks you on Cat Ba – just do the two day/one night cruise or maybe even just the one-day trip. The first day is definitely the best and going to Cat Ba island was totally a waste of time and money

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 January 2012

Well after an amazing 2 days on Halong Bay we were left in this dark, noisy, cold hotel. If booking a trip Do Not Stay!!!

• Stayed January 2012
1 Thank Steeno15
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 May 2011

We stayed here as part of a Ha Long Bay tour; we paid for a 'three star hotel' but weren't given the name of it until we arrived. I appreciate that star ratings vary in Vietnam but I'd call this one 2 star at absolute best. The rooms were spacious but dreary, with tired looking furniture. We were lucky enough to have a sea view (just) but our friends' room had a wardrobe obscuring the whole window so their room was very dark. Our food was included and the lunch was ok, but we didn't return for the evening meal, chosing to eat out in the town instead. The bathrooms also had a square hole high up in the wall (presumably for ventilation) which let the mosquitos in! It did the job but I wouldn't rush to stay here again.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends