“Very disappointing”

Canh Dieu Hotel
Paraparaumu, New Zealand
“Very disappointing”
Reviewed 3 June 2014

From reading the other reviews we must have stayed at a different hotel (though other guests at the same time as us spoke of their dissatisfaction). The bed was VERY hard, I would wake up numb throughout the night on the side I was laying on and have to turn, on top of which we were right above the train line in which the trains kept us awake for most of the night (There are no restrictions to the horns blowing). We arrived early evening, was given a bottle of water each, we went out for dinner leaving the air con on and the light, on return an hour later the air con and light was off, they had obviously been in our room while we were out!
We were not given a fruit drink or fruit as advertised on arrival, though we were disturbed one night at 9.45pm with a knock on the door and a fruit drink! The 'mini bar' was an empty fridge with filth at the bottom, the fans were covered in muck. There is no coffee shop, this area is used for the laundry instead.
The positives were the young guy (the son) who pretty much ran the hotel himself. He was very polite and helpful, giving us a ride to the train station and cool water for the journey. The breakfast was also good with lots of choice and good portions.
Unfortunately this did not make up for our three nights of not sleeping!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 21 May 2014 via mobile

The guy on reception here is the nicest, most helpful person I've crossed paths with in a long time. He came to collect us when we got lost en route to the hotel. He warned us about flooding where we were heading to next and came with us the the train station to arrange our bikes to go on a train further south. He helped us fill out all the forms and made sure we didn't get ripped off (a common occurrence in Vietnam), telling us to call him if we had any problems.

The hotel itself is good value; clean rooms, breakfast included and down the road from some great barbecue places where you can get goat meat - yum!

• Stayed November 2013
Ninh Binh, Vietnam
Reviewed 20 May 2014 via mobile

Me and my friend have stayed here for two nights and it's perfect. The man at reception is the sweetest guy! We got a free cold bottle of much needed water on arrival, He arranged a trip for us to Cuc Phong national park with our own driver who stayed with us all day driving us around for only $47 split between two which we didn't have to pay until check out, last night we had a knock on the door and he delivered us free smoothies just because, he organised our bus to Phong Nha-Ke Bang for us AND when we asked if there was somewhere we could keep our luggage whilst we wait for our night bus he said we could stay in our room until our 9pm bus for free 'if that's ok' of course it is! Such wonderful staff, a lovely clean hotel, we had a great stay. Only slight negative is the beds are pretty solid, however it didn't effect me at all like I thought it would. Highly recommended. And the train line is just behind :)

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
Reviewed 7 May 2014

I was very pleased with my short stay here. The staff was more than helpful with tour information, transportation schedules and other local tips! The room and beds were quite large and very clean. AC and fans worked perfectly and we had even a big balcony. Great value!

• Stayed May 2014
Weston-super-Mare, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 April 2014

It's possible to see this hotel from the train station, however you have to walk around and over the tracks by a little road which takes approximately 10-15 minutes - the roads are completely safe and it's an easy, flat walk.

Even though I arrived at just after 9am, well before the check in time, I was warmly welcomed, invited to sit down while the necessary paperwork was completed, before promptly being shown to my room, already cleaned and awaiting my arrival. Great start.

It got even better when I ordered a fabulous apple pancake (seriously tasty - and massive) and then asked for advice about things to do in the area - although the answer is 'not a lot', the staff went through everything I could do within the town including the local market and the small church, and then took me through the various options for exploring the surrounding countryside - lots of helpful information without being pushy in the slightest.

The rooms are spacious and spotlessly clean, with air conditioning, a fan, lockable wardrobe, fridge and tv. The beds were very comfortable and again, spotlessly clean. My room overlooked the railway station and on the first night I did wake up with a start at the sound of a train's horn directly outside my window; however this was the only disturbance in three nights at the location.

Breakfast is included and there is a wide range of both Asian and Western dishes available to choose from - all delicious-looking, though I stuck with my favourite - the apple pancake, each morning.

The staff at this hotel only add to the good points - warm, friendly, helpful...even dropping me off at the train station on the back of their moped when it was time to leave with a complimentary bottle of water for the journey (though I'm still not sure how both my bags, me and the lovely staff member were able to fit on the bike...!)

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Oakland, California
Reviewed 18 April 2014 via mobile

Actually they are located behind the station about a 15 min walk. They gave us a ride to station in the morning and would have picked us up if they had known we were coming. Room nice and clean. Good breakfast and helpful front desk. We just stayed one night. Pretty quiet town.

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Sally L
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 1 April 2014

HOT WATER!!! HOT, HOT, HOT WATER!!!

Our room was large and very clean, and the cable TV had some great English channels. The staff spoke amazing English, and whilst the food was a little pricey, it was delicious. And the water was hot!

Would happily stay ahain