“Something different”

Ranked #13 of 26 Hotels in Ninh Binh
Melbourne, Australia
“Something different”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

Lang Viet Co is not for everyone, but I enjoyed it. The rooms are simple, clean and comfortable. The staff were friendly and helpful and the breakfast was good. The complex was dark and peaceful at night, sitting outside with a cup of coffee before bed was certainly a nice change from being stuck in a hotel room. Lang Viet Co is in a great location. It's not in Ninh Binh, it's about 10 minutes drive south. It's walking distance from Tam Coc, Thai Vi and a bicycle ride from Bich Dong, Hang Mua and the Bird Gardens( a nature reserve about 6 km's from Tam Coc). I would stay here again, there's something about it I miss even now.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Peter C

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Lyon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2013

we had an amazing stay in this beautiful hotel.
It is like an 18th century vietnamese village, with the rooms overlooking a beautiful courtyard with the limestones mountains background.
The rooms are clean, basic and comfortable, no TVs or wifi in the rooms which creates this serenity about the place.
Staff are friendly and helpfull
a real hidden gem, 5 mn walk from the boat peer for Tam Coc

Room Tip: overlooking the main courtyard
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Andrelyon
Ha Noi
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2013

I came here with my husband and my two children, one 19 months and one 6 years old. We spent 2 nights here since I cannot book for Tam Coc Garden or Emeralda (It was Vietnam Independence Day). The place comprised of a number of ancient houses. We stay in one of them. The room was basic with small fridge. There was no television in my room. At first, it seems to be inconvenient but finally, I found the lack of television is something consistent with the ancient village concept. Our family spent more time talking and playing with each other. It was a nice place. I enjoyed the quite ambiance. I preferred staying in this 2 empty 2 star hotel rather than staying in crowded 5 star Emeralda.
However, the hotel should invested more to make the room comfortable so they can attract more guests.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank hanguyen157
Darwin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2013

We arrived around 3pm by private car and drove into the carpark, there was no sign of life whatsoever. My husband declared it must have shut down and our Vietnamese driver was obviously of the same opinion, he drove around as much of the resort as he could and we did not see a living soul. We then drove down the road for more info and were advised that yes that was the Lang Viet Co. and that it was open. We drove back and eventually started to randomly wander around the resort. We finally ran in to a little old lady who appeared to belong there (she spoke no English, had no uniform or name badge but seemed to know her way around), we gave her our paperwork and she indicated she wanted our passports which we handed over. She then produced a key and unlocked a padlocked door and indicated for us to go inside. Our driver was obviously worried to leave us there so he inspected the room also and seemed relieved to see a bed and bathroom then left us to it.
I have read elswhere that the resort is like a museum which I guess is a fair description. In actual fact the buildings are around 5 years old but a good recreation of what you would expect traditional houses/buildings to look like. Quite picturesque but a ghost town when we were there.We had a wander and found caves at the back as the resort backs on to a limestone karst. Unfortunately these were being partially used for storage and weren't in their natural state but it was still a stunning backdrop.
The room itself was basic but very clean. Unfortunately our room smelt very musty but probably because it had been vacant for some time. We ran into a few more staff and children none of whom spoke English (and some dogs) but they were all very friendly. The bed was very firm (common in Vietnam) but relatively comfortable, and tea and coffe & a thermos of hot water were provided which was nice as many cheap hotels dont provide this in Vietnam. The next morning some old ladies gestured to me that they were serving breakfast. There was no choice (maybe there was if I spoke Vietnamese) and it was quite simple but it was all fresh and delicious. Eggs were fried fresh when you arrived at the eating hall, fresh baguettes, fresh fruit, yogurt and a few other things so we were happy with this. Ladies seemed to know the word sorry and spoke it every time they brought a new dish to the table which was cute and were most happy when we uttered a few Vietnamese words of thanks.
When we checked out we finally found where reception was. The man couldn't speak English but he telephoned to a young lady who brought our passports back to us and spoke a little.
The location was excellent (2 minutes walk to the river boats) and it was very good to stay the night as we were able to be the first boat on the river in the morning and enjoyed the beautiful scenery whilst it was still peacefull (before the bus loads of day trippers arrived from Hanoi).
Overall I don't regret staying at Lang Viet Co., but would probably not return to Tam Coc. Don't stay here if you are not happy to rough it a bit but we did have fun and thought the staff friendly and hospitable.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Nood75
Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2013

On arrival and expecting something like the pics on website, silly me, I was stunned to see the buildings in such a delepidated state, I actually thought the hotel must have been a National trust piece. When I asked about a deluxe room I felt as though I was an Alien, the one staff had no idea what I was talking about and simply started asking my wife about her having any children!! I guess in the end the room did have Hot water, toilet and a mini fridge, of course we took it because of the great location to the "Boat harbour" for the tours on the water way which was superb..... One highlight was seeing Firelies amongst the hotel buildings, on the other was the downer of seeing dead fish in the so called ponds in the hotel.
On arrival when we asked for a cold beer we were given beer in a glass with ice, many don't like, I was very thirsty! hahaha
Our worst experience was trying to get our Passports (4) back the night before we left, we were leaving at 5am for our trip to Hue and the rigmorole we had getting them from the manager was dreadful and took about 2 hrs and lots of crossed comunications. They take your Passports by the way folks, oh and the mistake we made was we simply asked what time their meals were available from, BIG mistake, we ate in town at Fathers(nickname) and when we got back to hotel we were accosted and told they had cooked food for us. We were none the wisor as we hadn't said we would eat there, merely asked what time the eatery opened, and how would they know what we wanted to eat????

Room Tip: We had ordered a Superior room, we got a deluxe I guess, definetely ask about rooms
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank joc52
Avignon, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2013

An ancient house transformed in a hotel. This place is almost a sightseeing itself, there is a cave inside. I would recommand anyone to have a look.
It's 3 min walking from the pier, where the fishermen are waiting for tourists.
Take a walk by the little path, you'll find a mystic cimetary and an old temple held by this old man with longue mustache.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple