“Friendly, but...”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ninh Binh
New Queen Mini Hotel
Ranked #35 of 56 Ninh Binh B&B and Inns
Ottawa, Canada
“Friendly, but...”
Reviewed 20 December 2013

This place was great for myself and my friends. We paid $4 each per night for two double rooms, and rented motorbikes for another $5 a day. We were in Ninh Binh to see the scenery outside of town, so we really didn't care much about the hotel.
I will say that the staff, especially Mr. Tony, are wonderful. Mr. Tony really helped us out when our friend had an accident, and I appreciated his recommendations. The woman who works there gave us a great goat meat restaurant to eat at as well. Everyone was great, except for the older man who worked there, who was extremely unhappy about having to get out of bed to let us in at 11 pm (!!) both nights. You might be in the wrong business sir.
Anyway, the hotel itself is nothing to write home about. It has dated furniture and is freezing cold in the winter. Also maid service seems to not be applied to the rooms on a daily basis. Anyway, I'm giving it three stars because of the friendly staff, but no more because it is a bit grungy and they lock you out very early.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank susanr0se

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 16 November 2013

I booked a 3 day 2 night Halong Bay cruise through this hotel, supposedly with a mid-range company called Dugong Sails. The trip was almost a complete nightmare from start to finish. I arrived two full hours before the group from Hanoi and just sat on a sidewalk waiting. I was shuffled around between groups and even different companies (I think I ended my trip with a company called Dragon Pearl), stayed at a horrendous hotel on Cat Ba island, ate inedible food for 3 of the 7 meals, was given a double room my second night when I had booked a single and then to top it all off the guide was a borderline psychopath who refused to give me any information about what company I was actually dealing with so I could file a complaint. As the final kicker, we arrived more than an hour late to Hanoi when the trip was done.

I would actually recommend skipping a Halong Bay cruise altogether, as the majority of the agencies and tour companies are completely incompetent, unsafe and not even remotely environmentally friendly. But if you must book a tour, do NOT book with New Queen Mini in Ninh Binh!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank zobyt07

Travellers are raving about these Ninh Binh hotels

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 27 October 2013

We paid $15 for a huge room with four big beds, which is great value. The wifi didn't work in the room but it was fine in the reception. There is only one guy at the hotel who can speak English, and he was very enthusiastic in arranging a day trip for us. We agreed on an English-speaking driver/guide to take us around to various attractions for the day. However, the guide only wanted to bring us to his friends' restaurants and shops, and we had a hard time getting him to take us to the sights and restaurant we wanted. We were not happy. We wanted to speak to the man at the hotel when we came back that evening, but he was nowhere to be found. Also the sheets were dirty, and I got a weird rash on my eye after my face was on the pillowcase. Breakfast is decent but slow.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank domas27
Reviewed 24 October 2013 via mobile

We paid 8$ for the room 2 people. We rented a scooter for 80.000V got 20.000V discount because we also bought bus ticket. They serve cheap and good food. The room had ok wifi. They told is it would be hot water but it wasn't. The room was dirty and dirty sheet.

3 Thank Bjarmif
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 October 2013

Approached by a man on a bus who gave us the card for the hotel. They offered a free motorbike taxi and it was raining so we decided to take it. Rooms are very dated. Not new like the card says. It is cheap but not very clean and all of the furniture is broken. The staff are friendly at offering bus tickets and tours etc but once you pay up they dont really care any more. We booked a day tour with them. The itinery said a english speaking guide, visit 3 main attractions ans stop for lunch. Our tour spoke one word in english which was 'photo' and nothing else and we didnt stop for lunch. We also had to pay all the entrance fees to the attractions on top of the tour price. Waste of money. When we made a complaint at the end the staff completely ignored us and did not respond at all, not one word. We then didnt see this staff member for the rest of the day. Funny that. Rent a motorbike get a map and go yourself. We also bought the open bus ticket from them which the guy added a stop onto which we didnt ask for so be careful. We felt very uncomfortable and unwelcome there when we had checked out ans were waiting on our bus. They said we could shower etc but it was in a staff members bedroom where 2 people were sleeping so we actually couldnt. In general.not a great stay at all. I wouldnt go back. We generally go for cheap hotels/guesthouses but this one has been the worst of our trip and we're not particularly fussy we just dont like being scammed or having to stay in dirty rooms.

4 Thank touristorl
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 13 October 2013 via mobile

I was starting to get tired of Vietnamese countryside guest houses when I arrived this one. The rooms are ok, but I hate to find hair on the floor. I also hate the wet bathroom floors.

Internet was ok, but it was shut down during the night and the computers downstairs was slow and inefficient.

Try another one unless you're on a budget. It's better than many, but when it comes to cleanliness it sucks, just like every other guest hose.

2 Thank ContrailsfromNorway
Tel Aviv
Reviewed 11 October 2013

We've arrived at this hotel after a dubious character whom we met on the bus told us about it and showed us a recommendation from tripadvisor about this hotel.
He said it was close to everything in the city, 5 minutes from the bus station (this is the only thing true that had come from his mouth, and close to many other hotels in case we decided we didn't want his hotel.
We were 4 people and none of us liked the hotel. We decided to leave.
The hotel manager noticed our dissatisfaction and said she would give us a 2$ discount, but we decided that no 2$ are worth living in a room so filthy (the bathrooms all had very awkward smells, and the floors were dusty).
Just as we were about to leave, they guy that brought us overheard me and my wife talking about passports we had left in our previous hotel.
At that point he said that he owns a travel agency and that he'll bring our passports "no problem" since he has a guy coming from that place on an everyday basis.
Before we realized what we are about to do with this new info, he picked up a phone called our previous hotel and told them something in Burmese.
Then he hang up the phone (all this without our agreement) and told us that they'll be ready for us tomorrow. He then said the magic words: "but only if you spend the night here".
At that point we realized we had no other choice, since we could not explain by ourselves to the hotel receptionist that we don't trust this guy (she only knew very few words in English, and we guessed that those were'nt in her vocabulary) and that we don't want her to give our passports to anyone but us.
We had to stay there, but this time NO DISCOUNT was given............
So we paid for the night, but since we really wouldn't be able to sleep there, we checked in to a really nice hotel. Of course all the other hotels were not even near this one.
By that time we had discovered that several hotels in the city had the "new Queen Mini Hotel" name and that the tripadvisor recommendation was very old and probably belonged to another hotel.
The next day, the guy gave us our passports, but only after he asked for us to pay for another night (but not for him, for his guy ... of course....)
If only we had known Burmese a little better,we definitely would have involved the police on thius one.
Hotel is very NOT recommended.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple