“An Absolute Gem - like staying over at a friend's” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Lakeview Ecolodge

Lakeview Ecolodge
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Kintamani
Singapore, Singapore
“An Absolute Gem - like staying over at a friend's”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2013

Without doubt the best view of the iconic mountain and lake. The staff were all welcoming, youthful, enthusiastic, friendly and spoke great English (which is rare in these parts). They tried their best to make my stay comfortable, and I felt very well looked after. I had an immediate sense of warmth and ease at Lakeview, it literally felt like staying over at a good friend's home! (well, mansion, more like.)

If you are unsure of what Kintamani has to offer, the staff had great suggestions. I would really recommend taking up the hotel's tracking packages. I thought they were very well organised, safe and affordable. No quick-buck-off-you tricksters here (I've been told to be wary of being lead to a different Lakeview, try to contact Lakeview staff directly).

Also, ask the staff for reliable massages and also directions to the hot springs if you're into that. (for the more adventurous, ask about the Laura Croft-ish village with skulls and all!)

Have always enjoyed Indonesian food, so I'm biased when I say the food is good. Do try the Ayam Panggang! Do ask for non-spicy options if you have issues. Also, they have coffee made with itallian Bialetti espresso kettles! Do ask for that, unless you prefer the French press. Even if you are not staying at Lakeview, a meal at their restaurant or Danu Lounge will still get you a wonderful view, especially at sunset. You won't regret it.

For me, the rooms are just lovely. Sure, the curtains and furniture bear signs of use, but these are really negligible (and any complains are really just nick picking, I feel). They are clean and well-maintained. However, you do need to know there are two types of rooms: Standard and Deluxe. Have spent nights at both, and while both are spacious and have great views, the Deluxe is a more modern setup, well the Standard has an old-world Asia charm with exquisite carved doors to the balcony. The major difference are the toilets. You get a more up-to-date setup with the Deluxe rooms, but be prepared for less fancy ones at the Standard. (they could have changed). They are still modern, functional and comfortable with ample paper though, definitely not village squat holes. Also, no issues with hot water nor smells during my stays. It is cooler up the mountain so be prepared with shawls, if not there are pedlars right outside.

I also greatly appreciated the cash machine ATM right at the Hotel's entrance, made getting things in the town much easier without anxieties of carrying too much (or too little) cash. It's a village so cards are not really applicable at most places.

If you're able to catch their general manager, you'll get great suggestions on further ventures, and interesting cultural events in Bali, both traditional and contemporary. He's really knowledgable about the local arts scene, and would also impress you with the ecological endeavours of business owners in Bali.

I am especially impressed with how the hotel is actively engaged in giving back to the Kintamani community, hosting village children who had never seen the inside of any hotel, exposing them to art and literature, as well as creating avenues for local villagers to benefit by using local produce instead of competing with them by importing items. The hotel is also making efforts in eco-friendly practices, such as installing a grey water processing unit for watering plants. Few establishments here even bother.

What a fantastic stay, and to know I've in some way helped contribute to the village is an additional bonus the hotel does not advertise. I'll certainly be back!

Room Tip: Deluxe rooms for added luxury. Standard rooms for old-world charm. If you are particular about beaut...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
LakeviewBaliGM, General Manager at Lakeview Ecolodge, responded to this review, 18 October 2013
Thank you for your vote of confidence in our services and your helpful encouragement. We look forward to hosting you on your next visit to Bali.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Auckland, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2013

Forget about the dirty curtain and bed sheet with stain. Because it has a great view! Nice restaurant. Team member are so helpful and friendly. We booked the room with Mt Batur sunrise tracking package. It was a great experience!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
LakeviewBaliGM, General Manager at Lakeview Ecolodge, responded to this review, 25 September 2013
Dear Madam,

Thanks for taking the time to write a candid review. I'm glad you enjoyed the mountain trek and didn't let the small stuff bother you.

We sent all the curtains to the laundry before July, but they could not remove all the stains. The next step now that we've survived the peak season and entered into a more relaxed pace of guest turnover is to dedicate staff time to work on each curtain one by one with environmentally friendly stain removing salts (Sodium Percarbonate). I have just discovered how wonderful it is.

Regarding the sheets, we renew them each year, but they do get stained with temporary tattoos, merchuchurome / betadine and after-sun lotion that guests put on their bodies. Our local laundry does not seem to cope. We are committed to helping them find solutions for this, as sending sheets down to a large operation in Ubud each day would not be a sustainable solution. Next rainy season when we have ample water we are also looking at doing our laundry in-house.
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2013 via mobile

Stayed here as part of a group tour. Our room had a great view of the lake and volcano with. Lovely balcony. Our room was spacious and the beds were comfortable. However the bathroom left a lot to be desired, which we were warned about. Our shower sprayed cold water all over the place and we could not get hot water at all. It smelt of sewage and there were bits of mould. But from what people in my group had to say about their bathrooms, we were very lucky!

On the walkway to rooms there was a very large bright light outside our door, the top of which is made of glass. Because of this light was shining in our room all night and we could not see where to switch it off. Very annoying indeed!

Did not think much of the restaurant or the breakfast. However this hotel is prime location for going up the volcano if you are in to that sort of thing (I'm not but did appreciate the views)

• Stayed September 2013
Dear Madam,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. From your description, you were in the upper floor of the standard room block. The light switch is on the wall by the stairs. The lamp shades on the rear balcony lights directs most of the light downwards to assist people getting up early in the dark to climb the volcano. There is ample hot water in this block from a centralized gas-heater. However, when everyone decides to switch on their hot water at about the same time it may be inadequate and the laws of hydraulic pressure provide most of the hot water to the ground floor guests first. This is one of the down sides of traveling in a group that has to stick to the same tight schedule.

We have 24-hour reception and you can dial 0 for assistance with lights and hot water. Our deluxe rooms and suites have more modern showers for those who require modern amenities.

We endeavour to improve and will definitely make a big song and dance about it once we have improved the standard room block, but at present we ask future guests to be aware of the shortcomings of the standard room bathrooms.

Travellers are raving about these Kintamani hotels

Vienna, Austria
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2013

Lakeview hotel is perfectly located for enjoying spectacular views of Lake Batur and Gunung Batur.
The renovated rooms are really good, so try to get one of these. Food is nice and staff are very, very friendly.
The hotel management helps you organise guides for trekking and cycling tours.

The only downside is the noise of the trucks that are passing by nearly 24/7. They transport lava stones from the nearby lava fields. However, having been travelling around Bali, I was pretty relaxed and didn't mind ...

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Bernhard L
LakeviewBaliGM, General Manager at Lakeview Ecolodge, responded to this review, 3 September 2013
Dear Sir,

Thank you for your vote of confidence in the quality of our newly renovated rooms, as well as our food and view.

As manager of a 49-year-old family business, I am fully aware that we have a lot to improve. I'm glad that you have managed to enjoy the fruits of our hard work over the last two years of my leadership here.

The trucks are an ongoing issue, most of the drivers have turned their noses at the steeper alternative roads offered to them by the government and have flaunted the road restrictions allowing them to only operate at certain hours of the day (they just bribe extra when they get caught during banned hours). With such a high demand from the rampant development to the south of Bali requiring aggregate (sand, rock) for concrete and foundations it seems the problem is likely to get worse before it gets better. We are working on better sound proofing inside the rooms as we improve them one by one, but in the mean time we recommend guests to imagine their intermittent bursts as the mating calls of the Truckus terribilis, a beast of burden of our modern age.
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2013

We arrived and there was a mistake, our room was only available starting from the day after. They quickly moved us to the nearest Volcania hotel. The manager came directly to ensure we were satisfied with the room and offered us 500 ml of mulled wine as soon as we arrived at the hotel restaurant to warm us up (was really cold that night).
The day after, after hiking up to the Batur Volcano we got our room with a super nice view.
We felt in love with the panorama, the magic of that place and the amazing view from the room and the restaurant just above our room.
Lovely staff!
Great great experience!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
LakeviewBaliGM, General Manager at Lakeview Ecolodge, responded to this review, 22 August 2013
Dear Sir,

Thank you for your warm words of encouragement. You had booked our best room, and when it became over-booked due to a mistake in reservations, we upgraded you to a nearby villa. I'm glad you found the suite you booked at our hotel a pleasant surprise awaiting your return from the mountain trek.

I'm also glad you liked the mulled wine. August is our coldest time of year, and night time temperature is usually 15 to 18C, although sometimes it can drop to 12 Celcius. We make our mulled wine from fresh local spices (cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg and cardamom), as well as adding mint and hibiscus petals.

Thanks for your encouraging comments about our staff. I will share it with them today. We look forward to hosting you on your next visit.
Canberra, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2013

Arriving later at night on a group tour, the staff were very friendly and helpful. The view from the restaurant was, I discovered in the morning at breakfast, fantastic. However, the room was very disappointing. It smelt shut up and damp. Sheets on the bed were stained. My bed was extremely uncomfortable - felt very old, the way the springs collapsed around me. The bathroom floor I thought at first was quite quaint, covered in pebbles in what I thought was an attempt to look fashionable. On closer inspection, though, it became obviously they were there to try to cover the floor. Made of some kind of mud-based concrete, the floor was disintegrating or rotting, and left dirt on your skin if you touched it. I accidentally dropped my clothes on the floor, and they became stained where they had contact with the floor.
I wasn't expecting the lap of luxury for what I'd probably paid for, but I've stayed in better backpackers' hostels. Considering the prices charged by the restaurant, surely they can afford to update the place.

Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your honest and candid review. From the picture and comments you shared, I can conclude you stayed in room 301, one of our ground-floor standard rooms. The room is unique and by no way representative of all the other rooms in Lakeview.

Built in 1981, the building is at the end of its economic life and we intend to tear it down to start afresh. For the time being, we try our best to maintain the building, repaint and purchase new linen each year, but there are architectural as well as environmental reasons from the damp you experienced in the bathrooms.

In the past two years, we have been receiving many complaints about the ground-floor standard room toilets, so when we had to replace the plumbing in room 301, we also raised the floor. This was done in March 2012. The old bathroom floor tiles seemed to be the main source of complaints in the ground floor bathrooms, so we opted to give a tropical outdoor feel to the bathroom by using black and white cobble stones & pebbles on the floor. The other bathrooms in the standard block remain tiled, as we were not sure how people would respond to the new design. Indeed we have had a mixed response! Some guests find the bathroom a novelty and like it, but at the very least it provides ample hot water through the shower.

The restaurant where you had dinner was completely renovated in October 2010 (it was my first project). We added a fireplace to provide a warm hearth and brought some of the fire for cooking to the lounge. We continue to make small improvements to the decor, art work, as well as the stonewear, fridges, etc.

I understand that you would think that our new restaurant (Danu Art Cafe) deserves better rooms than our present "standard" rooms. Do note, however, that when our standard rooms are at the same or better quality than our deluxe rooms, the price will increase also.

At present, our standard rooms represent value for money for the budget conscious traveler.
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2013

This was my 3rd visit to the beautiful island of Bali. The first visit was only 3 days, 3 years ago. Then 2 years ago I, yes I, bravely or insanely drove a Toyota Avanza around the island for 3 weeks largely based in Sanur and was taken away with the breath-taking views upon entering Kintamani. In my opinion the very heart of Bali. With Gunung Batur, G.Abang and G.Agung around the largest Balinese lake, Lake Batur. A view to die for. Truly out of this world. This could indeed be Heaven surrounded by angels. An active volcanic caldera for any geology buffs.

This time I spent 29 days in Bali. About 23 based in Lakeview. I drove again with a similar black Toyota Avanza and the assistance of the fantastic, 3rd edition Bali street Atlas I purchased in a bookshop in the department store chain, Hardy's. Without it I would have been lost. With it my driving knowledge and prowess grew to the fearless local abilities. Talk about total FREEDOM said like Mel Gibson in the film, Braveheart. You never know what is around the next corner!

Kadek, the General Manager and his hard-working team extend every courtesy to ensure your stay is amazing. Any niggly problems are immediately addressed. I climbed the Batur volcano under a full moon and attended ceremony and prayed at Batur temple. I dined on the delicious Ayam Panggang Bumbu Bali while sipping mulled wine, a G&T or an Arak Medu. I befriended most of the 90 staff who were all brilliant and I consider my life-long friends. Thankyou younger Kadek for being my excellent guide to the most beautiful waterfall on Bali which I blatently refuse to name so as not to ruin it! It even tops Git Git and that's saying something.

I also became very close to Conyong the young resident female Kintamani dog with apricot ears who welcomed me back from 200km drives out of over 4,000km's driven during my visit in some of the most perilous driving conditions on the planet. Always expect the un-expected and make sure you pay next-to-nothing for an International Driving Permit at home before visiting to keep on the right side of the Polisi if you are brave enough like an Orang Gila like me and don't inhibit your freedom by taking the easy and safer option of hiring a local driver. There are some spectacular roads out there just waiting to be discovered including the East coast network. But don't just take my word for it, see for yourself. Way cooler!

The breakfast was great especially the bacon omelettes (need to be a guest to receive) and chocolate and banana pancakes with syrup.
Kintamani and Lakeview is a brilliant base for visiting the awe-inspiring Mother temple of Besakih especially early in the morning when you may be fortunate enough to witness the entirety of Gunung Agung, the largest volcano as a backdrop. The neighbouring to Lakeview Hotel, Volcano museum is worth a visit too. Currently, a bit sparse but very informative never-the-less.

Yes there are drawbacks if you want to be picky like the noise of trucks climbing the hill. Easily remedied by closing the 2 sets of balcony doors. There are bats but they are fruit bats and perfectly harmless like the ones that fly out of Pura Goa Lawah every evening. There isn't a swimming pool at the hotel, (never was for the mis-informed French lady reviewer) but a good spa very close. You don't need air conditioning as it is cooler higher up. But not so cold as to complain if the Danu Lounge Restaurant door is slightly open like some less adventurous visitors are quick to moan about even if it is still warmer than in their own countries. Ah...people, when will you ever learn not to be such stereotypical tourists and instead come with an open mind and just go with the flow. You will invariably benefit SO much more from your entire experience just like I did.

However,the flip side of that coin is that swallows soar past your balcony in a dramatic aerial display to rival the RAF Red Arrows for instance. Show offs!

Don't worry if you make eye contact and engage the locals they will NOT try to fire a blow dart at you or mug you. They are a very friendly, warm and engaging people, the Balinese and want you to love Bali as much as they do, which I do do. They will also impart local wisdom about shorter road links for example when they grow to like and trust you like they did with me.

There is something for everyone here, believe me. If you can't live without your luxuries for even a solitary second, better you pay extortionate prices locked up in the security compound that is Nusa Dua and never venture into the heart and soul of Bali with only a suntan for your experience. If you want to waste money quickly partying all the time like many young Ozzies stay in Kuta just so long as you don't mind being asked, "massage, taxi, transport, massage, taxi, viagra, taxi, taxi, massage" a hundred times when you walk just a few metres.

But if you want to witness a majestic panorama come to Lakeview. Check in for a while as one day you won't see anything in the fog but the next morning you may behold the most jaw-dropping sunrise of your lifetime. The bus loads that cycle the area or trek Mt. Batur take their chances on seeing the full view or not when they just pass through and act like total Buli.Step out of your comfort zone and take a walk on the wild side, like at the excellent Bali Zoo where you can stroke a baby lion or feed a Komodo Dragon at the equally cool Bird and Reptile Parks.

I'm sorry for the long review but as ex-girlfriends from all over the world will vouch I talk too much especially about things like Bali which I am passionate about. Since 2006, I have been fortunate enough to travel 5 times around South East Asia visiting the following 9 countries often more than once: Cambodia, China, Indonesia (Bali and Yogyakarta), Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar(Burma), The Philippines, Thailand and Vietnam. I love them all but I'm particulary fond of Laos and Myanmar. But for me in all my extensive travel experiences to date around the globe, I have yet to find a view that inspires me more than that from a balcony at the Lakeview Hotel & Restaurant in Kintamani, Bali. Thankyou SO much my excellent friends, Kadek & family and the team, 90 strong and rising for a truly wonderful time and unforgettable memory backed up on video camera.

Like Arnold Schwarzenegger says in the Terminator films, "I'll be back" it's simply a question of when. This time I will make Mt. Bromo, East Java and Mt. Kelimutu, Flores my priorities around re-visiting Lakeview, Kintamani. Preferably managing to avoid any busy Muslim ceremonies. Thanks for the car, Kadek and everything you all did to make my stay OUTSTANDING!!! Lots of love, your Mr Jon XXXXXXX. Thanks also to the dolphins at the Melka Excelsior hotel, Lovina for a brilliant encounter , now my second such dolphin experience. Just wish the pools for the dolphins were bigger or better off they could return to the ocean. Come on guys we are dealing with highly intelligent creatures. More intelligent than many humans. Not difficult to believe when you witness the many crazy things our species does. Bye, take care all, Jon from near London, England. Love you Bali! See you all soon.

Room Tip: Pay a little more for one of the nicer rooms as you don't do this sort of thing every day do you...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Teufel666
LakeviewBaliGM, General Manager at Lakeview Ecolodge, responded to this review, 10 August 2013
Dear Sir,

Thank you for making Lakeview your home in Bali, for your enthusiastic review and vote of confidence in our service. We were glad to host you for almost 4 weeks on your 3rd visit to Bali.

Having guests such as yourself has encouraged me to explore the island more so we can give more in-depth input to guests as to what to see and do "off the beaten tourist track" around Bali.

We do look forward to hosting you again, and hope that you will continue to see the improvements we make, many of which are in response to your constructive input made during your stays here.

Warm regards,

Kadek
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kintamani
The Villas Tejakula
Mapa Lake View Bungalow
The Cave Hotel
The Cave Hotel
#5 of 13 in Kintamani

Been to Lakeview Ecolodge? Share your experiences!