“5 star hotel but...”

Grand Jatra Hotel Pekanbaru
Ranked #13 of 63 Hotels in Pekanbaru
Reviewed 13 May 2014

i was checked in last week during my trip to the bono, the hotel has 5 star but i don't think so with the standard 5 star hotel service. its located just behind (in connection) of the busiest mall in Pekanbaru - Riau, so its bit crowded in the ground floor. the room is ok not so bad but some are ruined in the bathroom, seem like going down hill from their golden time. The breakfast is standard with western and Indonesian food on the menu's. i stay at 8th floor but... i can still hear the whatever called cafe or discotheque on the 1st floor... so too noisy and not good for sleeping quality in so called 5 star hotel.the only good i found was the fitness centre and spa's they have sauna and whirlpool.

Room Tip: try as far as possible from the discotheque floor especially in the weekend
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
AndreasLalenoh, General Manager at Grand Jatra Hotel Pekanbaru, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2014

Dear faozanrizal,

thank you for your time and your positive comments on Grand Jatra Hotel Pekanbaru. I am sure that you enjoyed Bono - the most happening place in Riau nowadays.

I have to agree to disagree with your comment.
Your comment on "service" apparently is not reflecting our service. Your comments are more likely on the room condition and the noise came from "discothèque" downstair.

Grand Jatra Hotel Pekanbaru is located adjacent to Mall Pekanbaru, the well known and the busiest mall in Pekanbaru. Surrounding the hotel, visitors will find a club/KTV/lounge as part of Sudirman street. The noise you claimed to disturb your sleep, unfortunately, came from other club outside Grand Jatra Hotel Pekanbaru, in which we had filed a complaint to.
SCORE! Pekanbaru was designed, built, and operated with the high quality of sound proofing and separated by several floors before reached guest rooms' floor especially your 8th floor. I am sorry to learn that you had trouble in finding a good sleep.

Grand Jatra Hotel Pekanbaru is continuously doing upgrades on her product considering new trends in hospitality industry. One of the areas is bathroom.

Above of all, thank you for enjoying our Japonica Spa and Fitness Center during your stay.

faozanrizal, once again, thank you for your comments.

Reviewed 7 May 2014 via mobile

Very nice hotel with a lovely dining/bar area and a nice pool area. The lobby is very nice with helpful staff. Pekanbaru is probably not the most charming town I've seen but the hotel can hardly be held responsible for that. The location is ok I guess, pretty close to malls and restaurants if you prefer to eat outside of the hotel. Good value for a nice hotel. Recommended!

• Stayed: March 2014
AndreasLalenoh, General Manager at Grand Jatra Hotel Pekanbaru, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2014

Dear Appelsved,

thank you for your time reviewing Grand Jatra Hotel Pekanbaru. Every comments are valuable, and every comments will be shared to the staff to let them know your appreciation.

What we are trying to provide is a home while you are away from your home. And, I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us.
My team and I will always find a way to improve the service and doing the training to make other guests a satisfied ones like you did.

Once again, Appelsved, many thanks for the appreciation. Please do let us know your next visit to Pekanbaru. I am looking forward welcoming you.

Reviewed 29 April 2014

Jatra Hotel Pekanbaru is not a 5 star hotel standard . Rooms and beds are too small. I was also disappointed with the pick up service airport. 2 weeks prior to check -in I was informed that a friend of mine needs to be picked up at the airport and had email all the details of his flight . When I checked in I kept remind them if pickup for my friend is ready and they said all is ok. After 10 pm , my friend had not arrived as well , and we supposed to be meeting at 9.30 at night. I asked FO and they told me that their driver being picked up and have a sign name of my friend . I was thinking that his flight delayed . But 15 minutes later my friend called me and asked " Do I need to take a taxi ? Since it’s been 1 hour I landed from Singapore but there has been no pickup " . I got panic and asked FO , and we found that the driver had been relaxed and said " we Just pick one person with the name " A " . They never made sign name for my friend . I asked driver comes with me to airport port and finally arrived at the hotel at 11 pm . Our client had never wanted to see because it was too late , and we stay 2 nights and spent money for ticket from Singapore to Pekanbaru for nothing. A few days later the hotel management just email and says " Sorry" . Message to all, Never trust eto this hotel especially FO Jatra Hotel Pekanbaru , they were friendly , but the communication between them is very bad. The good thing is Location

Room Tip: Pool side a bit better
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
AndreasLalenoh, General Manager at Grand Jatra Hotel Pekanbaru, responded to this reviewResponded 4 May 2014

Dear Mr. gurusinga68,

greetings from Grand Jatra Hotel Pekanbaru.

Thank you for your comments on our airport pick up service. I am thankful for comments that can make GJHP better.

Allow me to offer my apology for what happened to you and your colleague on the pick up service. Once we received your comment, I had this issue investigated and found out that further trainings were needed for our Concierge staffs to be more details and anticipative.

Mr. gurusinga68, I assure you that your experience was very unfortunate and it was not reflecting the standard of GJHP in general. We are striving to shape up our standard service to make our guest more comfortable staying away from home.

If you visit Pekanbaru, please do let me know. And, I am looking forward welcoming you personally to ensure that you will enjoy more.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 24 March 2014

I stayed at this hotel only for 2 nights, I stayed with my family,But I don't recommend this hotel for families,because is to noisy and some parts in the bathroom partially damaged and the lights suddenly dead. I think this hotel needs renovation to improve the quality of the rooms. But the location of this hotel is great,only 30 minutes from the airport and it connect with mall

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
AndreasLalenoh, General Manager at Grand Jatra Hotel Pekanbaru, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2014

Dear Pak Erwin,

a very warm greetings from Grand Jatra Hotel Pekanbaru.

First of all, thank you for your time visiting Pekanbaru and posting comment at Tripadvisor.

I have put your comment on our briefing, and take some time to investigate it. In regards to the electricity, it was caused by the electronic key switch. Since then, our Engineering team sweep whole building to check the equipment.
In regards to the bathroom, as far as I can remember of our rooms' condition, there are no cracks bathroom. Should you have a detail on this one, please email me directly the room number you stayed on.

The noise you experienced was coming from the club across the street and we have taken precautions on the guest allocation. Our hotel was full on that day, and we apologize for the inconveniences.

Pak Erwin, next time you come to Pekanbaru, please do let us know. We will arrange for you.
Looking forward welcoming you to Pekanbaru soonest.

Thank you.

Reviewed 9 January 2014

Grand Jatra Hotel Pekanbaru, Sumatra, Indonesia may not share the same limelight as those hotels in Jakarta, Bali, Bandung and Medan, Indonesia. It is located in Sumatra and not not Java Island. We tried it out just to experience the difference. It is conveniently located within a shopping mall and surrounded by shopping street with lots of bargain. Tourism - not they know off and everything is more local.

If you want to run away from those areas frequented by most tourists - try it out as it is still authentic and cheap before others found out. A big nice hotel and less people, it is just like you and the hotel. By any standard it is clean and they can even pick you up at the airport and send you back at the airport for FREE. You don't believe it but it is true - just email them your arrival at the airport and tell them you need pick up!

Things are still cheap in comparison and you can hire a car with driver or a taxi chartered for the whole day to any destinations you want and it will not rip off your pockets. Friends, don't miss this place while it is cheap and not that known by tourists. The hotel is excellent by any western standard but damn cheap by price standard. Who cares to go London, Paris and Tokyo. We want to be at Grand Jatra Pekanbaru where your money worths more than double and triple. It's our last chance to get away from the madding crowd......

Saharudin Muhamad Toha
Mature Couple stayed in October 2013
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Report: 10/01/2014

Room Tip: All rooms should be OK as there are only few high buildings around - the chances of facing any wall...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
AndreasLalenoh, General Manager at Grand Jatra Hotel Pekanbaru, responded to this reviewResponded 23 February 2014

Dear Pak SAHARUDIN,

a very warm greetings from Grand Jatra Hotel Pekanbaru.

Thank you very much for your review.
Your review will be shared to our staff to let them know that their efforts are recognized by our guest.

Looking forward welcoming you back at Pekanbaru anytime. Please drop us a call and we may arrange something special for you.

Reviewed 21 August 2013

I usually stay at Ibis when visiting Pekanbaru, but for a change, I stayed at Grand Jatra. The room I got was very spacey, huge even. Good shower (very important for me), good temperature and pressure. Clean bathroom. Not too far from the airport and they give me free airport pick up. The pool looks nice, but I didn't get to try it, nor the gym. Breakfast food was plenty and okay. The connecting doors to the mall next door is nice. We don't have to go outside the hotel to get there. It has KFC and Ace Hardware and clothing stores along with Lucky Supermarket to get your snacks if you don't want to pay hefty mini bar prices. I say if you forget or need clothes or phone charger, you can get it easily next door. Very convenient. I never hear the thumping music, then again I was on 7th floor, maybe you can hear it if you're on the lower levels.
Now the down sides are the internet connection that easily disconnected and very hard to get back online. I also borrowed a hair dryer. It looked very much banged up. It served the purpose but not maximal. I have informed the receptionist when I checked out about it and she apologized for it. I hope the management replaces it soon. I wouldn't want anyone to get electrocuted haha...
All in all, I would return to the hotel. As it is actually much nicer than other hotels I've been to in Pekanbaru.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank blueplanettraveler
Reviewed 7 June 2013 via mobile

The location is good, but I could still hear the music from the nightclub at 3 am!
The room was nice, but the sink in the bathroom was placed too low -- I can't imagine what would happen to guests with rheumatics or super tall guests. Breakfast buffet was average.

• Stayed: June 2013