“Great lake front property”

Samosir Cottages resort
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great lake front property”
Reviewed 4 May 2014

We booked our room via email with the manager. We had multiple emails from the hotel concerning our room, however, upon arrival we were told the emails were not a confirmation and there were no rooms available for us. The hotel apologized for the confusion, set us up in a room next door for the same rate and then moved us into an upgraded room the next day. The hotel itself is beautiful and right on the water. The ferry drops you off right in front of the hotel which is convenient. The restaurant is amazing and reasonably priced (try the lake toba snapper!). There is live local music on Saturday nights which was fun. The restaurant also has ping pong, pool and a tv to watch movies. We also rented a bike from the hotel to get around the island. Free wifi! The staff was very helpful, they even helped us book transportation and room accommodations for our next stop (Bukit Lawang).

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jessica J

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
  • Czech first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Leiden, The Netherlands
Reviewed 26 April 2014

I had a wonderfull time in Samosir Cottages. The people are very nice, friendly and responsive. They made us a cinema and helped us to discover the island. The rooms were nice and cool (fan or aircon was not necessary). There is a Batak performance twice a week which is very nice to visit.The hotel is next to the lake, so it is a perfect place to relax.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 April 2014

My second visit to Lake Toba so decided to stay at Samosir Cottages on advice of a friend. Stayed a week and had a great time!

Booked a lovely room right next to the lake. Excellent for a swim first thing in the morning.. Room was large, clean and had hot water which was a bonus..

This is definitely the place to stay if you want to meet other travellers: many interesting people were staying here and had some fun nights drinking bintang to late in the evening..

Thanks to Mr Bloom for arranging airport pick up: my journey to Tuk Tuk was stress-free. Also thanks to Ben for the three day tour he took me on: great guy!

Would stay again: recommended.

Room Tip: Room by the lake has best views.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

I am not satisfact with the tour organised by Mr Bloom. I paid 2700k for my transport from Medan Airport to Samosir cottage hotel plus tour in samosir island, transport back to Medan and then back to airport. Price should be inclusive of ferry and enterance fee. But I still got to pay for my ferry tickets to the hotel inaddition to the entrance fee during the samosir tour. The worst thing is the driver who sent me back to the hotel in medan and he said he will pick me up the follwoing morning at 7am, he didnt turned up. I nearly missed my flight back home.
I have a deluxe room in samosir hotel which is basic without tv. The hot shower only works intermittent. But the room has a nice view over looking the lake. I don't think I will trust the tour organise by Mr Bloom or his hotel staff.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Samosir C, Manager at Samosir Cottages resort, responded to this review, 25 April 2014
Thank you for sharing your thoughts regarding Samosir Cottages. I am sorry we didn't meet your expectations.

I have spoken to the driver and I can confirm that he was waiting at your hotel at 6.45am as agreed. However, there must have been some miscommunication as the driver was waiting outside and not in the hotel reception.

Kind regards

Mr Bloom.

Travellers are raving about these Samosir Island hotels

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 21 April 2014

We booked through Booking.com, the room was run down, had quite a lot of insect activity like small bugs and mosquitoes. Do not expect someone to clean your room during your stay. It's more of a backpacker's type place where you have to bring your own toiletries. The hot water was not working and it took a few tries plus a replacement of the gas canister to get it going. The bedsheets were badly stained, the pillows were musty, the one electrical socket in the room was hanging out precariously and the door had a big gap from its frame which you could look right into the room if you stood outside. Basically, it's just not a very well maintained room. We could see that there were other rooms that could be in slightly better condition. There is also construction going on next door so things are pretty noisy. Ground floor rooms facing the water have to endure the noise of banana boats, jet skis and screaming kids from as early as 7 in the morning. Basically if you are noise-sensitive, this is not the place for you at all. The good side- there is wifi in the restaurant. The manager in charge is pretty chatty and helpful but do make your comparisons and homework before you say yes to everything. He is a businessman after all.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your thoughts regarding Samosir Cottages. I'm sorry we didn't meet your expectations.

Regarding cleaning of the room, rooms are cleaned every two days so yours would have been cleaned the following day. About the noise, then I am afraid the management of jet-skis and children on the lakeside is beyond my control.

We hope you have a better stay next time here at Samosir Cottages.

Kind regards

Mr Bloom.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 April 2014

Another year, another visit to Lake Toba.. A friend recommended I stay at Samosir Cottages and his advice didn't disappoint: had a fantastic time and met some great people!

My room was clean, spacious and had hot water. Beautiful view of the lake also. The wifi here is arguably the fastest on Lake Toba which is a bonus (although only available in the restaurant).

As regards the food then no complaints: wide selection of both local and western dishes. There are also numerous restaurants nearby so you wont go hungry..

There is some construction work going on behind the restaurant but you would never know when down by the lake..

Big thank you to Mr Bloom for arranging all my onward travel !! Very helpful guy..

Recommended.

Room Tip: Rooms by the lake have stunning views..
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 1 April 2014

I was very fortunate to have a friend that has spent some time in Lake Toba and told me to check it out, so I took couple weeks off and went to see what this Lake Toba was all about, and OH-MY-GOD! That was everything I needed it and I will be forever thankful to my friend Dave to share this magical place with me.

I stayed at Samosir Cottages for 9 days and here it is my review of the place:

1. Room was very spacious and in par with what I was expecting, however the view was breathtaking - laying down on my bed, I could see Lake Toba and slept every night with the sound of the waves.

2. People are very friendly and if you make the time to speak with the staff, they all become your best friends and will ensure you have everything you need to make your stay more enjoyable. - my sincere thanks Mr. Bloom, the Manager of the resort, who, not only is a great musician (together with Ben and John, they had a private concert for me the day I left), he also stop his work to drive me to the next town after I missed my last ferry! - this type of service you dont get just anywhere so thank you Mr. Bloom!!!!!!!

3. Things to do: when I first arrived I thought that after couple days staying at the resort I would get bored (I am the type of person that on holiday I have to be busy doing different things every day) and the resort provided me a map and a list of several things you can do. You can rent a motorbike from anyone in the resort and go out and explore the area, and there are a lot to explore, from hotsprings, mountains, waterfalls and views that every picture taken looks like a postcard! I ran out of time to see everything I wanted therefore I will certainly come back to continue my exploratory tour.

4. Samosir Cottage is very well located, right at the lake, close to shops, restaurants and bars - Jenny's restaurant around the corner was my favorite breakfast/dinner place.

I will certainly go back to Toba and will have no reservations to go back to Samosir Cottage as in only 9 days stay, I already feel part of their big family.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Patra Parapat Lake Resort
Toba Village Inn
Toba Village Inn
#2 of 25 in Samosir Island

Been to Samosir Cottages resort? Share your experiences!