“Mixed Experience”
Review of Pelangi Hotel

Pelangi Hotel
Ranked #5 of 18 Hotels in Tanjung Pinang
Reviewed 19 January 2012

The pickup, shuttle and drop off service was very good and the hotel is reasonable value. However, as mentioned by previous reviewers, it is well out of town (although not as far as the Aston). We found the room very ordinary with several faults, including a mirror light bulb that was totally smashed. Tanjung Pinang isn't a very touristy area but was interesting.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 21 December 2011

Let me precaution you with this. This location is for the brave of heart. It is not a super touristy area, and if you don't speak the language you are a walking target.

--End PSA--

Now the review. After arriving at the ferry port, I was greeted by several locals. All were telling me my shuttle had left and they would gladly take me to the hotel. I kindly refused. Moments later the shuttle driver (from the hotel) greeted me by name and took me immediately to the hotel where I was greeted by 8 smiling people standing behind the counter.

I don't speak Malay or Indonesian, so after spending a few minutes sorting things out, my friends and I were whisked away to the restaurant where we were given complimentary drinks.

The rooms were clean, spacious, but very simple. You are not paying for bells and whistles at this hotel. Just a clean room to sleep, friendly staff, and a fantastic breakfast (If you like Indonesian food).

If you have the time/money, take the tour. S$25 gets you on a water taxi to see the 'Egg White Mosque,' a few graves, an old palace, a couple temples and anything else you'd like to see. Comes with tour guide who also acts as translator. You will need that if you buy ANYTHING as the shop owners will assume you have money just because you are foreign.

As for nearby things... don't know any others. After the trip I stayed inside the hotel restuarant eating. Food is absolutely fantastic. Everything was. Love the juices they sell. Try it (I can't drink regular juice anymore).

All in all, 5 stars. Wish the hotel was in a different location, but it isn't. The staff and food easily make up for it.

Room Tip: Bring mosquito repellent. One of my friends didn't and got bit many times. Mosquitoes don't...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 December 2011

We booked the standard double bedroom and was given a chalet style room near the pool but facing the backyard. Can't complain given the price and the attentive, polite staffs.
The room seems new and comfortable enough.

The flush wasn't working in the first room we were given, and was immediately changed without fuss when another room becomes available. The air-conditioning was dripping water and we had to place a towel on the headboard to stop the water from dripping on the bed.
To get hotter water from the shower, don't turn tap on full.

The hotel is quite far from everything; from the mall to the beach.

There's free breakfast tho the menu is the same everyday. Would be nice if there's fruits. There's a nasi padang place and sate stand outside by the main road if one doesn't want to eat in the hotel restaurant or too lazy to go out to town.

We had the pool all by ourselves on Monday, which was nice.

I would recommend the place if all you want is peace and quiet.

Room Tip: Check bathroom and air-conditioning before settling on a room.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ratandpigeon
Reviewed 8 December 2011

I did a lot of research on hotels in Tg Pinang before settling for this, based on its many positive feedback given on its customer service. But I must say I am disappointed.

I could not exactly feel the warmth upon my arrival though I was under a pre-conceived notion that the people in this hotel should be friendly. But I must admit Gren who received us at the Terminal speaks good english and appeared pretty helpful. But during my four day stay there, I only saw him twice. Probably, the staff there prefers to host the Europeans. They appeared not too helpful upon learning that we are not taking their local tours to outer skirts of Tg Pinang.

The only good thing about this hotel is that it has free wifi and also free transport to the the town area. In terms of great customer service which many had given them thumbs up, I beg to differ. I was making some general enquiries when the receptionist attending to me suddenly just turned away and chatted to her friend who came. In general, not exactly what I had expected interms of csutomer service. Probably I was expecting too much. The room is considered clean but decor too outdated. Requested for morning call at 8am but they called only at 8.10am. For first time visit to Tg Pinang, can consider this hotel because of its free transport/shuttle from ferry terminal. It is not too safe to flag a taxi or motorbike alone especially most natives speak/understand Malays only. If you know teochew, then it's so much easier as all Chinese converse in this language.

We explored the market place and it's very much like the Singapore's 60s/70s. We spent most of our time joining the locals slacking in the coffeeshop:) Food is cheap but we tried to ask the driver to recommend us some places for seafood or where the locals eat, they ended up bringing us to hotels and upon reaching there, the restaurant was empty! We returned to Pelangi Hotel for our cravings for seafood, and again, do not expect too much but can expect many flies and mosquitoes though. It's a good place to slack and do nothing, especially with the stressful lifestyle in Singapore.

Room Tip: Dont choose the poolside as it faces a barren piece of land. Looks scary at night.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank TotoChan
Reviewed 13 November 2011

I just spent two nights in the hotel for a leisure weekend. I can truly second what other reviewers on nice comments alredy wrote.
The cost/performance ratio is very good. It´s clean and nice. Dinner in the restaurant was very tasty and affordable.
The service they offer makes it outstanding. Free pickup from the ferry terminal, individually organized tour with a very nice tourguide "thanks again Willy !"
You really feel welcome as guest and you always feel that they care about you and that´s what´s most important in a hotel. I would also like to mention the pool. The pool is also a big plus because it´s long, I think more than 25 meters and 2m deep not like many tiny little hotel pools where you hit your knees on the ground while swimming.
Extra plus... when I left the hotel for the ferry terminal (free shuttle again), I was a bit early and Adi the hotel employee at the ferry terminal organized for me a spontaneous individual 1 hour harbour boat tour combined with a visit of some nature aereas. Thanks guy´s ! Was great pleasure staying woht you !

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank snokie
Reviewed 23 October 2011

I just came back from my stay at Pelangi Hotel tonight. As an avid traveller, I have been to over a hundred hotels, and this hotel has easily stood out as the best in its customer service. All the hotel staff demonstrated sincerity, genuineness and warmth in their service to customers. From the small things - they never failed to greet with a smile - to the more important things - convenient shuttle service, they really touched me by their warm and personal care to my friends as I as customers.

Firstly, the hotel provides free shuttle services within town. My friends and I were provided a free tour of the town and the surrounding islands by a hotel staff called Willy who was extremely friendly and caring. I have never been to a hotel that provided free in-city tours like this. The hotel also provides shuttle services (with charge) to other areas of the island and the driver waits for the customers until they have finished their time. This is extremely helpful because the customer does not have to wait for the hotel staff to pick them up but rather the hotel staff is on standby for them.

Secondly, the customer service provided at the hotel is also outstanding. The main waiter, whose name I forgot, was very patient and helpful in describing the different dishes available. At the breakfast table, the staff are very personable in their service by offering them to provide different food/drinks rather than the customers being excepted to self-serve (as is usually the case in hotel breakfasts). Also, their great customer service is demonstrated by their non-stop supply of free fruit to the table when you sit during and after your meal. At night after dinner, my friends and I received free small dessert delivered to our door by a staff.

The hotel also voluntarily offered to mind our passports during our stay. At first, I thought this was unusual (as I was never offered this kind of assistance before) but I later realised that the hotel staff was taking the extra step to help its customers and provide security of their passports. And when my friends and I left, the hotel staff provided us small snack boxes to demonstrate their appreciation. Although the snack box wasn't of big monetary value, again, this is just an example of their friendly care and appreciation of each customer.

Of course, some (but very few) elite five star hotels can provide this level of customer service, but keep in mind, this is just a 3 star hotel at a very low price. So a comparison between the two types would be unfair. Do keep in mind, as a 3 star hotel, Pelangi is rather ordinary and average in their room quality. Nevertheless there are the main facilities - gym, swimming pool, computer, etc.

Despite being an avid traveller, I have never bothered to write a hotel review. But this time is an exception, because I have been touched by the warmth and friendliness of the hotel staff at Pelangi. They truly define exemplary customer service.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank hchu7973
Reviewed 26 August 2011

Would you rather stay in a hotel with great facilities but indifferent staff or a less starry establishment where you feel you are a genuinely welcome guest? I know which I would prefer - and the Pelangi Hotel in Tanjungpinang definitely falls into the latter category. I stayed there for two nights in August 2011 and was quite bowled over by the warmth, friendliness and helpfulness of the staff. This more than made up for the rather basic - though adequate - facilities. I stayed in what I suppose would be called a 'garden bungalow'. The furniture was battered and the paintwork in poor condition, but the room was quiet and clean, the bed was large and comfortable and there was plenty of hot water. The air conditioner worked well, as did the minibar and the TV. There was also free Internet access (via wi-fi) in my room. I thought that the quality of food and drink served in the hotel restaurant was well above average for a hotel in this category; the portions were also generous. The only alcohol on offer was beer. The swimming pool is large and well-maintained. I think that the rooms in the main part of the hotel (which are more expensive) may have been recently renovated. The immediate surroundings of the hotel are rather dreary and unexciting, but it takes only ten minutes or so to get into the centre of Tanjungpinang, which has a little more to offer by way of restaurants etc. Boats can also be hired to visit nearby islets (I went to both Penyengat Island and Senggarang Island, both of which I found interesting on account of their mosques, temples and other attractive buildings; the half day trip, with English-speaking escort, was organised by the hotel). There are direct ferries from Singapore (Tanah Merah Ferry Station) to Tanjungpinang; the crossing took only two hours. I returned to Johor Bahru in Malaysia, which took an hour longer. I get the impression that most visitors to Bintan Island from Singapore head for one or other of the sophisticated Bintan Resorts in the northern part of the island. By all accounts, you would never know you were in Indonesia staying there! Far fewer make it to Tanjungpinag, the capital of Bintan Island and of the Riau Islands Province . Perhaps that explains why the staff of the Pelangi seem so pleased to welcome overseas visitors. They really do understand what customer service means. I will definitely stay there again if I ever return to Bintan and warmly recommend it to independent travellers.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank Cosmo44
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tanjung Pinang
Aston Tanjung Pinang Hotel and Conference Center
Hotel Panorama
Hotel Panorama
#3 of 18 in Tanjung Pinang
CK Tanjungpinang Hotel & Convention Centre
CK Tanjungpinang Hotel & Convent...
#1 of 18 in Tanjung Pinang
#11 of 18 in Tanjung Pinang
Angsana Bintan
Angsana Bintan
#5 of 37 in Bintan Island

Been to Pelangi Hotel? Share your experiences!