Pelangi Hotel
Wisma Pesona(Tanjung Pinang)
Very Good 4/5
    Very Good 4/5
    Good 3.5/5
    Hotel Sunrise City(Tanjung Pinang)
      Kaputra Hotel(Tanjung Pinang)
      • Room Service
      Bintan Permata Hotel(Tanjung Pinang)
      Shangrila Hotel(Tanjung Pinang)
      Good 3.5/5
      • Room Service
      Hotel Laguna(Tanjung Pinang)
      • Beachfront
      • Restaurant
      Hotel Sampurna Jaya(Tanjung Pinang)
      • Restaurant
      All reviewsplenty of hot waterfree shuttlewelcome drinkswimming poolferry stationhot showerstar servicewater heaterindonesian foodfried ricereceptionistbintanfarewellfurniturethumbs
      FilterAll languages
      Reviewed 5 March 2012

Went on a 3d2n deal purchase from 3-5March. It included a city tour of the city, Tanjung Pinang, lunch as well as dinner at the hotel.

My first impression of the hotel was "is this really it?" Even though the pictures didn't look impressive at all, they looked much nicer than what I was looking at. The hotel looked old and rundown. Inside, nothing fancy either. Our hotel room was gladly not in the 3 story main building but chalet style a few steps away.

Very basic facilities in the room. There was no kettle but hot water could be requested just a call away. There wasn't a hair dryer either. I requested 2 extra pillows for my comfort and it was gladly provided. The bed and aircon was very comfortable and I spent much of my time there sleeping. Even though there was wifi provided, it didn't work in the room all the time. We had to sit in the lobby for a consistent connection for both nights.

I only noticed the swimming pool and restaurant in the hotel and both were rather quiet. The water was clean for the adult pool but the water in the children's pool was stale. The food in the restaurant as well as room service was great! I had lamb chop and the sauce was delicious. They served authentic Indonesian food which is worth trying.

Even though the facilities in the hotel was lacking, the service that they provided was simply great. Everyone was a pleasure to talk to. Every request was attended to with a smile. Even if they were unable to solve the problem with the internet in the room, the effort that they put in was evident and for this they could not be discredited. Staffs were very responsible for their duties - As there wasn't a safety deposit box in the room, the front desk offered to keep our passports for us.

They were proactive as well. - While in the lobby using the wifi at night, the frontdesk officer when noticed us smacking mosquitoes, he offered us a packet of insect repellent cream to my delight. He also came to switch on the aircon without us asking.

On the 2nd night, I brought back from the beach 2 living 'seashells' just for fun and left them outside the hotel. When I came back looking for them later that evening, the security guard had put them safely in a corner and took them out for me to look at.

We were offered a late checkout on the 3rd day as our ferry back was at 4pm even though checkout was supposed to be at 12. For this I was very grateful.

The hotel has a shuttle bus service which sends their guests to the ferry terminal 1hour before their ferry back. We requested that we take an earlier shuttle so that we could visit the KfC that was in town. When we alighted at the ferry terminal, we asked the driver for directions so we could walk there but he told us to get back on so he could send us there instead.

The great service provided helped me overlook the lacking facilities and made my stay an enjoyable one. :)

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
      3  Thank Hannah W
      Reviewed 26 February 2012

I don't trust their staff. I had almost £200 stolen from my hotel room, when I had left to go to the spa!! Had one of the WORST TIME OF MY LIFE HERE. The staff here are rude and are not helpful AT ALL!! The police on this island are totally corrupted as well!! Would not write me a report so I could claim it back from Insurance!!! They sort of had some agreement with the hotel, so that tourists don't bring the name of the Pelangi hotel down!! It's absolutely RIDICULOUS. & the place definitely does not look as good as the photos! Go to one of the nice resorts up north instead!!

IF YOU DO DECIDE TO COME HERE, DO ASK FOR A HOTEL ROOM INDOORS!! WITH CCTV overlooking your rooms entrance!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room INDOORS!! With CCTV overlooking the entrance to your room!!!
      • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
      8  Thank DespiteOurFears
      Reviewed 26 January 2012

Ran out of sojourns for the Chinese New Year holiday so made the mistake of visiting Tanjung Pinang in Bintan (that's the "capital" south of Bintan island, not the resorts in the north).

There was pretty much nothing to do- even dining options were limited. We did have a great time at two value-for-money spas though. Anyway, to be absolutely fair, most of the shops were closed for CNY, so the whole place might be more interesting off-season, but I doubt it.

Back to the hotel in question. This was a weather beaten, well-seasoned no-star hotel (and resort) consisting of a 4-storey main building and a cluster of little chalets beside. Facilities include a restaurant, a decent sized pool, and supposedly a gym (didn't check that one out).

Pros:
      - The hotel was pretty far from town (7km) and there really isn't anything much within a 30 min walking radius. But they were happy to provide transport at fairly short notice to most places at a reasonable distance
      - Free and fast internet
      - Room was cheap: US$30 for the Standard Room
      - Decent sized pool
      - Restaurant serves pretty decent food at between local-and-singapore prices
      - Staff was reasonably friendly - especially at the restaurant

Cons:
      - Hotel is far from most action of any interest, as mentioned
      - Rooms were old and tired, they were not cleaned on the next day (wondering if our failure to put up the "Clean My Room" sign had anything to do with it", bed was lumpy
      - General cleanliness of the place could do with some work - the pool's perimeter overflow drain (most pools have overflow pool water running fast through them) had stagnant water that emitted a smell

Overrall, an average stay at a tired hotel.....just keep in mind the budget ($30) and it'll be ok. As they say, "you get what you pay for"!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
      1  Thank Dell73
      Reviewed 19 January 2012

The pickup, shuttle and drop off service was very good and the hotel is reasonable value. However, as mentioned by previous reviewers, it is well out of town (although not as far as the Aston). We found the room very ordinary with several faults, including a mirror light bulb that was totally smashed. Tanjung Pinang isn't a very touristy area but was interesting.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
      Reviewed 21 December 2011

Let me precaution you with this. This location is for the brave of heart. It is not a super touristy area, and if you don't speak the language you are a walking target.

--End PSA--

Now the review. After arriving at the ferry port, I was greeted by several locals. All were telling me my shuttle had left and they would gladly take me to the hotel. I kindly refused. Moments later the shuttle driver (from the hotel) greeted me by name and took me immediately to the hotel where I was greeted by 8 smiling people standing behind the counter.

I don't speak Malay or Indonesian, so after spending a few minutes sorting things out, my friends and I were whisked away to the restaurant where we were given complimentary drinks.

The rooms were clean, spacious, but very simple. You are not paying for bells and whistles at this hotel. Just a clean room to sleep, friendly staff, and a fantastic breakfast (If you like Indonesian food).

If you have the time/money, take the tour. S$25 gets you on a water taxi to see the 'Egg White Mosque,' a few graves, an old palace, a couple temples and anything else you'd like to see. Comes with tour guide who also acts as translator. You will need that if you buy ANYTHING as the shop owners will assume you have money just because you are foreign.

As for nearby things... don't know any others. After the trip I stayed inside the hotel restuarant eating. Food is absolutely fantastic. Everything was. Love the juices they sell. Try it (I can't drink regular juice anymore).

All in all, 5 stars. Wish the hotel was in a different location, but it isn't. The staff and food easily make up for it.

Room Tip: Bring mosquito repellent. One of my friends didn't and got bit many times. Mosquitoes don't like me, so I didn't have any problems.
      • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends