“feels of 'kampung' house”
Review of Penyengat Island

Penyengat Island
Singapore, Singapore
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“feels of 'kampung' house”
Reviewed 16 November 2013

Laid back & peaceful scenery... its different from Bintan and their dialect is the same as our Singapore Malay. Easy to understand.
For those who love history do visit the old king's 'makam' and the so called meeting house..
don't forget to take a drink from the well @ the bottom of the house. Its so refreshing after going around the island under a hot sun..
Stop for a coconut drink by the sea or maybe a quick lunch.
The villager were friendly and nice. You can pass a few local children from school which had a ready beautiful smile & friendly wave from them...
Just take a motorcycle 'beca' for a tour around the island which can go around for half a day tour.
They are the tour guide of the island.
Overall -
- quite place (i reach on weekday)
- 'kampung' more modern & near each other (that makes me so much to see)
- clean (with chicken & some cats roaming around)
- do buy some souvenirs as most of them hand made by the villagers

Love to visit again and decide to bring along my parents (as i know they will like the place as it will remind them as the old 'kampung' house)

Visited October 2013

• Indonesian first
Singapore, Singapore
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Exploratory!”
Reviewed 26 December 2012

The boat ride was a good experience.
The motorbike ride through island and landmarks was fun.
Trekking should be good. There's a mountain inside - bukit kusir, should be good we guess but we didn't go.
The bridge there gives a good view of the sea and the islands - fantastic view that you shouldn't miss!
The Ikan Bakar - fish BBQ at the food place at the entrance of the island is tempting and spicy and delicious

Visited December 2012
Johor Bahru, Malaysia
78 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 111 helpful votes
“Smaller than you think...”
Reviewed 19 November 2012

I was told my someone who had been to the island in 2004 that there is an old mosque with egg whites used to put the walls together, a museum and an old palace or two. Some trip advisor search informed me that an island tour by the motored trishaw would be under 2 hours. My tour ended under 30 minutes for about USD2.5 per trishaw. My friends and I chartered a boat for the 8 of us from Tanjung pinang on Bintan Island, so that we would be waited on, USD3 per person. Being Muslims, we prayed in a mosque by the jetty when we landed and later was told by the caretaker that the mosque is some 200 years old with a hand-written Quran on display. Then in 4 motored trishaws we were taken "around" the island. Being uninterested in mausoleums, our drivers soon zoomed passed almost any "old" structures resulting in us missing the only palace being repainted - I had to ask my trishaw driver to turn back so that I could explore the site. Most are destroyed to avoid the Dutch having control of any "valuables", so I was informed. No museum that I saw. I think if you are in Bintan, spare some 1 hour or two for the island, if you like history. Else give it a pass and spend time relaxing at Lagoi instead.

Visited November 2012
1 Thank Thermoprofessor
Melbourne, Australia
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Little island off the beaten track”
Reviewed 19 August 2012

My wife and I (as part of our hotel tour) took a boat over to this enchanting little island. Although we weren't sure at first, we managed to barter down with the longboat owner and thought it would be worth it.

When we landed, we jumped on a motorbike side car and toured the island this way - it was great fun. The brick winding roads took us around the island to see different cemeteries, an old municipal building, a fantastic view point and some Buddhist temples.

It was a great place to visit and away from any touristy spot! Well worth it if you get the opportunity to explore this ancient piece of Indonesian island territory.

Visited August 2012
7 Thank sandyandlydia
Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Great Day Trip”
Reviewed 5 August 2012

Little boat ride from Tanjung Pinang to the island - $5 per person round trip.
Motorbike and sidecar around the island - $1 per person (seriously!).
King's palace, King's grave, Fort, Mosque... heaps more to see than what is advertised.
Really pleased we visited.

Visited August 2012