“Unbelievable”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Yazd
Fahadan Museum Hotel
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Yazd
Melbourne, Australia
“Unbelievable”
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Last entry came too late to warn us. We had booked this accommodation a while ago. The hotel is beautiful, rooms very nice, BUT staff is just unbelievable. It is not bad service, it is rather NO SERVICE at all. We came and were treated as if we had arrived at the wrong hotel. The only guy acknowledging us was the one who carried luggage ( and later the lady who cleaned) all others NEVER spoke to us, greeted us or explained anything! Next day they removed all furniture from the court yard, blocked the other courtyard and had an event there. Dinner was cancelled. We asked if there would be breakfast at 7.30am ( pointed to the sign) and were assured that it would be served. Got up - nothing! No staff! Went around searching for staff and found one sleeping in the courtyard in front of our window! He went to the kitchen and the cleaning lady came with bread, cucumber and dates, no tea. We left on our trip. Staff got a bit more lively when I said I will call the complain line. But now all back to before; we are ignored!
We went to cheaper hotels for dinner: lovely people and great service! Avoid the MEHR CHAIN!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Monule

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Turkish first
australia
Reviewed 17 May 2014

I booked a room by phone and spoke to them TWICE a week before we arrived.
I spoke with a woman who spoke reasonable English. When we arrived they lied and said that neither of the two of them who spoke English had spoken with me and they didn't have our booking. They said they only had bookings from tour groups. I happen to know that there was another traveller staying there who was not with a tour group. They told us to go find another hotel called the Lab e Khandar, in the dark, driving by ourselves and I saw the woman smirking when I protested that we could not find this. She had the gall to say that it was not difficult for a foreigner to drive in Iran in a town like Yazd.. Clearly they had a better offer and didn't have the decency to contact us and decided to relocate us to another hotel or hopefully just get rid of us. They are all in the Mehr chain. Then they sent us off through a complex maze of back allies following a motor bike to the Lab e Khandar. This is a small hotel close to the Mehr hotel which you have to walk to for breakfast.
We had a nice enough underground room which was newly and somewhat hastily finished off, but no complaints. We were quoted $56 per night. When we came to pay they demanded an extra 20% saying some new tax had come in 3 days ago. We argued this at length and finally they grudgingly said ok. Then they lied again and said that we had to pay 700,000 rial for the bar fridge use. We had two cans of coke and one water. Then the calculator mysteriously stopped working. I left absolutely furious at the repeated dishonesty and finally had to pay as the taxi was waiting, and the English speaking manager suddenly was uncontactable. Obviously they decided to recoup the extra 20% they wanted by fudging things like meals and fridge use. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED. DO NOT TRUST THIS LOT.

Room Tip: Do not trust the Mehr group. If you are foolish enough to stay at one of their hotels get EVERYTHING...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank fenellak
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 15 May 2014

A charming old trader's home from the 16th century converted in to a hotel. It has plenty of charm and you are basically staying in a building that was built centuries ago. The rooms are spacious and beautifully decorated. However, they need a serious upgrade. Barely anything - besides the A/C works in the room. The food is buffet style and bad....not worth the price.

Staff are helpful and professional. They speak little English and better French. I recommend staying here for the historic factor, but eat elsewhere. The location is great, in the old city close to the Alexander's prison. You can easily walk anywhere in the old city, even at night.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank The_Nomadic_Doctor
Adelaide
Reviewed 14 May 2014

I stayed for 3 nights at the Fahadan in late April 2014. I was an independent traveler not part of a group. Booking was problematic, despite email confirmations and also contacting them by phone (from Australia) weeks before arrival they did not recognize my booking when I arrived. Luckily they found a room for me.

However I was dismayed to find the sheets to my bed were either used or very badly washed as they were covered in pubic hairs from a previous occupant. I politely informed the desk staff and requested fresh linen. After waiting for 20 minutes for someone to do this (it was bed time) I returned to the desk to ask again. The young male staffer said "I have already told her to do it" pointing to a young woman who was avoiding his gaze. There ensued a huge argument between these two in front of me in the lobby. I was flabbergasted and requested that someone just change my sheets. They kept arguing and so my only recourse was to yell at them "I just want my sheets changed, this is unacceptable" Eventually they changed the sheets.

The hotel is quite beautiful and the food is good but the reception staff are absolutely appalling, unprofessional and rude.

I do not advise staying at this hotel. Other travelers made comments about the awful staff to me also.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Bretton_1963
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 13 May 2014

The real problem is the price/value ratio. Our room had a dreadful bed with a sheet that did not fit properly. The mattress was exposed and in the morning we would end up sleeping on the mattress with the sheet crumpled in the middle of the bed. We spoke to other guests and they complained of the same thing. Don't stay here, choose a cheaper hotel and you will get similar accommodation but for a more reasonable price.

The staff are unhelpful and bordering on downright lazy. The front desk refused to let us pay our bill at 7pm at night, even though we wanted to leave at 7am the next morning. She said we had to pay in the morning. But in the morning at 7am the duty manager was only a night porter and had no idea how to handle money or invoices etc.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel, a cheaper one.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank BacktopackBackpack
UK
Reviewed 22 April 2014

My husband and I stayed 3 nights at this hotel.

Location: in the old town of Yazd, close to tourist office and 5 minutes walk from a main road.

Hotel: restored historical house, nicely decorated with antiques, great courtyard restaurant and roof top area

Bedroom: we stayed in room 129 on the top floor. The room was spacious but with only a small windows which did not open, making it slightly claustrophobic but extremely quiet. It contained a safe, TV, AC, fridge and a small shower room. A choice of toiletries were provided.

Customer service: front desk friendly and efficient but staff in restaurant all but one not interested in providing a service

Breakfast: buffet style with hot dishes (often kept cold!). One choice of fresh fruit, some bread and jams, salad. In contrast dinner buffet was good but limited choice of beverages.

Sleep quality: the room was very quiet but was not ventilated which gave us a headache in the mornings.

Room Tip: A room on the top floor with windows that can be opened.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Sint-Niklaas, Belgium
Reviewed 18 April 2014 via mobile

As a travel professional, i was charmed by location, room decor and general ambiance. Sadly service lacked at times: two towels for a triple room, cleaning was done without trash and cans being taken out. Smell of sewer in our room was not pleasant and bath curtain was broken. We do not expect luxury but correct treatment. This hotel somehow failed that...

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends

Been to Fahadan Museum Hotel? Share your experiences!