“Perfect for families.”

Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Mitspe Ramon
Tel Aviv, Israel
“Perfect for families.”
Reviewed 15 April 2012

Well, as with everything you need to set your expectations right.

This is a very good 4 star hotel which is suitable for families.

The food is excellent, the staff is friendly and helpful.

The rooms are spacious with old but well maintained furniture. The rooms have mini kitchenette where you can cook and a fridge for your personal use.

We took the mini suite, so that the kids had the entire living area for playing and leaving the parents room tidy clean and quiet.

The pool is perfect for kids.

A very good value for money hotel.

There is also an option to rent good bikes through the hotel.

The hotel is within walking distance the crater (Machtesh).

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
  • Hebrew first
Hadera, Israel
Reviewed 4 April 2012

I was in charge of organizing a family weekend in Mitzpe Ramon, in honor of the 80th birthday of my father in law. After Googling to see what our options were, I decided to book our 6 rooms at the Ramon Inn. I have previously been with my husband and kids in this hotel twice, and though there were memories of Friday night dinner on plastic garden chairs in the lobby, the overall quality of Isrotel hotels is generally above other chains and so I went onto their website to make a reservation. Unfortunately you can only reserve up to 2 rooms on their website so I then phoned the reservations center. The process of making a reservation is tricky and you really need to on your guard in order to get the best price available. They have all kinds of specials and deals and I believe if you don't ask if the price they give you is the best they have, they won't give you the least expensive offer they can. Already, because I made my reservations through their reservations center, I was charged a booking fee, if I recall correctly. I was first quoted a particular price, and when I asked if there was anything cheaper, then I was told about "Call Hakodem" which is a special rates program for reservations made more than a month in advance. In the end, this is the rate I booked. It did come with, though, very stringent rules about cancellations. I wish I had paid more attention to this and asked more questions but I did not see, at the time, any reason we may have to cancel. As it turns out, two weeks before the weekend, my father in law was quite under the weather and we were worried we may have to postpone the weekend. When I called Isrotel to find out about options I discovered that postponing, cancelling, whatever you want to call it - carries a 50% fee, making it a nonviable option. I was told that if it is a medical problem, I could cancel the reservation and then fax an explanation to someone who "might" show leniency. In the end my father in law was well enough and we didn't cancel. We did have one cancellation though, my son, who is a soldier in the army. He had arranged to be able to join us for the weekend, but in the end, due to security issues, all leaves were cancelled that weekend and he couldn't come. Another phone call, and I was basically told "tough luck".

The rooms are very simply furnished but adequate and the bathroom is too. The hotel is situated in buildings that are converted from former low-cost housing buildings erected probably in the 1950's, and have no elevators, so you need to shlep your luggage up to your room (ours was a 3 story walkup).

The lobby was a nice place for all of us to sit in the evening and talk. On Friday night there was a singer and keyboardist in the lobby entertaining.

The decoration in the lobby and dining room is more or less as I recall it was 10 years ago, the last time I was there. It could use some updating as it doesn't seem very "modern". The breakfast buffet was varied and fresh, and you could order eggs to your liking (not on Saturday) if a waiter/waitress told you about it (I found out quite a bit into my breakfast), same thing about cappuccino. The staff in the dining room was nice enough but they did not do a good job keeping the buffet filled.

Some of my party used the pool and enjoyed it. Towels were provided there, and you could also shower down there.

I found the bed to be uncomfortable, as if I was rolling into the center. Definitely too bouncy (my husband's aunt felt the same about the bed).

The hotel was accommodating however, with regards to the Saturday checkout. We had planned to take a jeep trip on Friday and did reserve this two weeks in advance, but unfortunately on Thursday evening I discovered that there had been a scheduling problem with the trip provider and he had to postpone our outing until Saturday. This meant that we would not be able to return from our trip and shower etc., before heading home, because the checkout time on Saturday is 2 PM (again....as someone else stated - how do these hotels get kashruth certificates??). I went to the lobby on Friday and asked for late checkout. This is possible but costs 150 NIS per room. I asked for late checkout without paying the fee (after all - I had paid for 6 rooms!!) and was granted an extra hour gratis. Since that wouldn't help us (our trip would only end around 3 PM) I explained the situation to the woman at the reception, who phoned me later to say that we had been approved for late checkout at 5 PM. This flexibility was welcomed and worth mentioning!

All in all I recommend the hotel. I have not stayed anywhere else in Mitzpe Ramon, but would probably pick the hotel again for family vacation.

Room Tip: No elevators so if you can't walk up steps, let them know when you reserve or check in.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 22 March 2012

Our group of 6 stayed one night in March, 2012, while on the way to Eilat, to see the crater in the morning. While the place was dated, the beds were comfortable, the rooms clean, front desk personnel pleasant and efficient, the bar service better than that at the 4 star place we had stayed in Jersulem, the breakfast tasty with a large variety of food, the public rooms new and modern, and the hotel manager most welcoming. My group was composed of people with no hesitancy about complaining but I heard no complaints . . . and that is a high compliment.

Room Tip: Not for the handicapped. There is no elevator in the hotel and from what I saw, the rooms were all a...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank jagman8f
Reviewed 18 February 2012

a weekend full of surprises! optimal accommodation, although the rooms are a bit old. good food and perfect service!

• Stayed November 2011
1 Thank Ml2408
Hadera, Israel
Reviewed 12 February 2012

The hotel is nice but is making somewhat strange impression. It was set in a standard Israeli apartment building, pretty basic, primary intended possibly for the new settlers in Negev.... The small apartments of the building were refurbished to be the hotel rooms. The ground floor of the building was turned in to modern lobby and a dining hall was added there... The rooms are nice, but you have a feeling that the building overall is not intended to be the hotel in the first place. There is no view to Ramon crater from the rooms and the hotel is situated in the residential area.The breakfasts are good with great choice of food. The staff is very pleasant.

Nice hotel for sleeping for those who explore nearby sites in Negev, but seems a little overpriced.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
Israel
Reviewed 4 February 2012

We went to Mitzpeh Ramon for a family vacation, eight adults and five children. The rooms were simple, clean and very comfortable. The large family had a 2 bedroom suite so all the kids could fit and have their snacks in the room. We had a 1 bedroom suite that was comfortable and we were able to have visitors in the room. One couple had a single room, which was fine and a bit cheaper. The food was great and there were plenty of choices for the kids. The last night there was no schnitzel at the buffet so the kitchen made it specially for the kids. We did two fantastic jeep trips while we were there. You can e-mail me for names.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank phox50
Tel Aviv
Reviewed 10 January 2012

Not many selections to choose from in Mitspe Ramon, but the Ramon Inn was good without being great. Clean rooms, helpful staff and good food.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple