“The Perfect Desert Adventure!”

Mati and Roni's Desert GuestHouse
Reviewed 7 August 2013

The best way to see the desert! I would not recommend for families or people who need more privacy, but for young backpackers on a budget who don't care about sharing a tent with strangers, it's awesome! I was traveling with three friends (all 18 year olds) and we had an incredible time. It's a dirty hippy tent, what can I say, but it was an experience! Roni took us into the desert for a night of camping and the second night we stayed in the guestent - I wish we could have stayed longer, as there is so much to explore there, and Roni can show you it all. Make time for the Negev in your trip to Israel - and stay here!

Room Tip: You have plenty of options: staying in the main part of the guestent in the town, getting a small se...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 5 June 2013

we didnt really know what to expect, and we were kind of surprised to find out the the desert tent is located right in the center of town, in a backyard of the couple's house, which is kind of wierd at first, but both mati and roni are so nice - that you emmidiatly feel like it does not matter whether its a bedouin tent or not - it's in the atmosphere of the famous bedouin hospitality.

upon arrival, mati called us and asked if everything is OK with us because it's a very hot day and advised us to drink a lot and call them if there is any problem - I doubt any other hostel will provide us with this kind of care. once we got in, Roni made us a great tea pot.

the tent is simple and clean, but its not for people with high standarts. it's strictly for backpackers or families with small children having to problem sleeping in a huge tent in someone elses' backyard...

the tent has a few good beds with sheets.

they offer meals for -not that cheap- , but i took a breakfast (about 15$) which was great. great shakshuka, salads, home made cheeses, yogurt with fruits... wonderfull way to begin the day, if you have the budget for that.

great hospitality
ok accomodation

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 April 2013

Within an hour of my arrival it felt like I am a part of Mati and Roni's family and know them for ever. They are uniquely interesting and will make you fall in love with the desert. Even the other guest was nice :) The dinner was a bit expensive for me (65 NIS), but Roni is a great cook. And there is always an occassion for (herbal) tea: I must have drank more than a liter in one evening. Went there a depressed man and returned happy.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 November 2012

The "Desert Tent" is basically a big tent in someones backyard, definitely not a beduin tent. The bathroom as well as the sleeping places are messy and not really clean. The tent is also near a street and you can hear every car/pedestrian passing by. In the shared sleeping area you sleep on the ground provided with a mattress and sheets/sleeping bags. The private rooms are separated via a courtain, so not really private. The "Desert-Breakfast" is simply a good Israeli breakfast, similar to the "Desert-Lunch" which is simply a good lunch and has nothing to do with the desert. In my opinion the owners stress the word desert to much and do constantly try to sell you something.
The owners are after all very helpful and can cook delicious meals. They offer a good tea as a welcome and the whole backyard is filled with picturesque handcrafted art. Another good thing is the proximity to the Ramon Crater and free parking space right in front of the house. After that there is nothing good left. The price is way too high for this kind of accommodation especially for the private rooms.
To sum up, i would never go there again, but if you very short on money and don't care about cleanness and a quiet sleeping place, this is the best choice for you.

Room Tip: Never take the private rooms!
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank CQ e
Israeli D, Manager at Mati and Roni's Desert GuestHouse, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2016

Hello . We are sorry to hear about your experience . The management that was running the hostel till December 2015 changed. Today the hostel is clean and serves really good tasty meals with vegetarian/vegan options. We hope to see you back here:)

Reviewed 20 June 2012

Staying at Mati and Ronis Guestent was a great experience. It is the cheapest in the area, with a beautiful atmosphere in the Bedouin styled tent, delicious herbal tea, clean bedding and a friendly welcoming family. The meals are amazing and cooked by a chef for a very affordable price. There are SO many free attractions around the area. The location is great, close to shops and only 5 minutes walk to the desert, and to see the best sunset at Camel Mount. We would reccomend this place to anyone looking for a relaxing, affordable mysterious adventure.

Room Tip: Theres only one big room. Get 2 mattresses to make it extra comfy!!
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Larissa E
Reviewed 8 January 2012

I stayed there with a group of friends from the UK and Israel for a cultural experiences and a get together. Great place, perfect location, exotic atmosphere. Thank you Mati and Roni for your warm hospitality.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 November 2011

There are a lot of good things to say about this place. I'll try to be more specific: From the outside I wasn't really sure I came to the right place, but when I stepped into the lovely entrance, I felt like I step into heaven. The thing that influenced me the most, was the energy of the place, calm, good, relaxed, wise, accepting, welcoming, friendly, family like feeling and much more that can't be placed in words.

Even though this is my home town, I came across this place only 6 months ago, since then I come to my hometown much more often, and the main reason is this place. That good energy and vibes I was talking about, surround me every time. I even started to walk around the Ramon crater area much more.

The view is breath-taking, everything is in front of you, your long history as a human-being, your own history as to how you cam to stand here, and your bright, clean future. That's what they mean by Genesis view, in a way it's an end to chaos, and the beginning of your own new order.

Room Tip: The sleep is inside a tent, it is your option. But you better choose the tent, because there will be...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo