“Still Awesome!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #33 of 113 Speciality Lodging in Wadi Rum
New Orleans
“Still Awesome!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2014

My wife and I are at Rainbow Camp, our fourth visit here in the last 18 months. I am specifically writing to address the review recently written by" Claire B" who's review. in no way reflects any experience we have had here. The camp is personally operated by the brothers Mbarrk and Sulieman Zlabieh and their family. From our first visit we have always been treated with kindness, generosity with great personal attention to every detail of our stay. In addition to Mbarrk, there are two people who help with cooking, cleaning and maintenance of the camp. We have taken both jeep and camel tours several times and they are always informative and relaxing. One of the best parts of staying here is the excellent food prepared daily with local ingredients, never a "boxed lunch" or snack. Each tent is equipped with two beds, a bedside table with drawers, solar reading lamp and candles should you choose to use them. The family works very hard to give every visitor as authentic an experience as possible, often including visits to the tents of relatives offering tea and hospitality. Rainbow Camp is located very deep in the Wadi Rum protected area and it would be impossible to visit any souvenir or tea shops on a jeep tour since none exist within many miles of this area. I am quite sure that this traveler must have been at some camp other than Rainbow. It is because our stays here have been so memorable that we have returned so frequently and will continue to do so.

Room Tip: Every tent is cozy and comfortable.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank ourdub

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2014 via mobile

An unforgettable experience. The camp is in a pristine environment - very beautiful. Our host was charming and generous with his knowledge.
In the morning he showed us the tracks in the sand made by wild life in the area.

• Stayed February 2014
3 Thank May M
Mamaroneck, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2014

This is one of the most expensive camp in Wadi Rum, if you think you're going to get the best experience for this price, you will not! Bedouins are true business men here, no welcoming efforts. Yes, bathrooms were clean, (no wonder, we were the only customers..) but sheets on my bed didn't look 'fresh'. Food was ok, nothing special, they cook inside a neon lit tent with no opening for the fumes, we couln't stay by the fire...We also took a "2 hours" 4X4 tour with same people, we had to struggle with the driver not to do numerous stops next to 'tea and souvenirs' tents and insist to really drive and see something..
If you are looking for authenticity, we recommend you take a look at Lonely Planet or Guide du Routard say about Wadi Rum camps first!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Claire B
Palo Alto, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2014

I stayed one night at Rainbow Camp in December 2013. Mine was a visit that I think was different from any others that I saw posted at TA: I was the only guest at the camp the night I stayed there. There were three staffers on hand, Mubarak leading the way. I got the feeling that they didn’t really know what to do with me and weren’t used to having a solo female guest. But they were great, very welcoming, and seemed happy to have me there. At no point did I feel concerned or uncomfortable that I was there by myself.

I loved the tent. The twin bed was very clean and comfortable, there was a little area for storage, and a nice table lamp between the two beds. (They also leave candles and matches for you but using them made me nervous.) The door had a lock on it. Temps were still quite warm during the day when I visited and the nighttime temps were pleasant. In fact, I found the blankets that were provided were too hot and ended up using only the sheet. It rained a bit during the night but there was no leaking.

The food was spectacular (best lentil soup I’ve ever had but unfortunately, due to language barriers, I couldn’t get the recipe; another reason to return). At dinner and breakfast they laid out huge buffets just for me. We ate dinner around the indoor campfire, where the chicken had just roasted, and then visited for a while until it was time to turn in. My meals at Rainbow Camp were the best food I had in Jordan.

The bathroom was clean but I couldn’t get the lights to work in the morning or during the night.There was a switch, but nothing happened when I flipped it. Maybe they don't actually use the lights in there. At any rate, I had a headlamp with me (also a flashlight), which really came in handy—bring one. The shower had good water pressure and was large. In the ladies' restroom there were three (I think) shower stalls and maybe four or five toilet stalls. The camp provides you with a towel.

Alas, it was a bit cloudy the night I was there and I missed out on the famed Wadi Rum sunset. Nevertheless, the visit was great and I’d definitely go back again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank gallivant3r
Colombo, Sri Lanka
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2014

We have spent 2 nights at the rainbow camp, it was winter, therefore very cold at night and not particularly hot during the day... Nevertheless we had a excellent time!
Mubarak, the manager and his staff were so helpful and welcoming that whatever you needed they would have found it for you.
I have been very sick during my stay (a bad cold) and they took excellent care of me, preparing all sort of special things to help me feel better.
The food was amazing, be it breakfast, lunch or dinner.
The camp is very comfortable, bathrooms are clean and there is hot water.
A very good place to stay in the wadi rum.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2013

Mubarak picked us up from Wadi Rum visitor centre, gave us a two hour experience of Wadi Rum including the sand dune, canyon and Lawrence springs after which he drove us to the majestically located Rainbow Campsite, perched in front of huge rocks (great wind shield) from which you can get a breath taking view of the sunset. We had an excellent dinner cooked from the freshest ingredients and sage tea and snacks were available all afternoon and evening. We were pleasantly surprised by the clean toilets and hot water showers( yes, in the desert!) and the tents were very cosy. In the evening, dinner was served by the fire, traditional Bedouin style, but we were free to eat in the dining room if we wished. We chose the cosy fire side! After dinner, my daughter taught Mubarak a card game, he taught us one and we played cards until it was time to retire to our cosy tents.
Also, we happened to be the only guests for the night so had the entire campsite to our selves, which was an added bonus.

Room Tip: Choose a tent on the front side, facing the living area.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2013 via mobile

This was my second visit after four years since my first visit in 2009, being eager to relive my first highly memorable experience. The camp has been refurbished and the staff are amazing, very hospitable and extremely friendly. Met and taken care of in every aspect possible. The camp is situated deep in the Wadi Rhum conservation site, happily situated between towering rocks. A VIP location to experience the must see sunset. The food is cooked fresh on site using ancient bedouin techniques and is fit to be served at a 5 star restaurant. Refreshments and tea are readily available all day long. The camp staff also offer various tours and expeditions among the magnificent mountains and red sands. A chance to walk along side mountain ridges covered in ancient languages, maps and paintings. Hikes and climbing are options for the avid climber. A tour of the Lorence of Arabia spring and camp sites will take you back in history. This is a must for any traveller wishing to experience the beautiful red sands and mountains of Whadi Rum whilst experiencing the bedouin culture and cuisine. Can't wait to go back next year!

Stayed October 2013, travelled with family