“Highlight of our trip to Jordan”
Review of Rainbow Camp

Rainbow Camp
Ranked #35 of 119 Speciality Lodging in Wadi Rum
Reviewed 27 April 2014

We spent 1 day and 1 night here and thoroughly enjoyed the great views, fantastic sunset (one of the best spots for sunset viewing in Wadi Rum) and friendly welcome. The camp is comfortable, the staff make you feel at home and the food is great. Easily the best experience during our two weeks in Jordan and one we can recommend to anyone visiting the country.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Rainbow Camp

Reviewed 24 April 2014

Rainbow Camp was simply unique . The place was magical with the most helpful and kind owner (Soleiman) who really made us part of his camp and family life .
The camp is clean, the rooms are neat and comfortable ! The chill out area is where you can read your book or simply gaze at the wonders around you whilst being surrounded by a great fire .
Dinner was delicious, with specialities from their country which they cooked in front of us .
The sunset, star gazing and sunrise was a big plus .
I strongly recommend the Rainbow Camp - it was the real joy of my trip in Jordan !

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 April 2014

This is a wonderful experience that all travellers to Jordan should try. It is a truly unique camping trip that will introduce you to life in the desert and the ways of the Bedouin people. From the moment you arrive, the staff make you feel at home and welcome. The great thing about this camp is that you are free to do as much or little as you like. A chance to explore, tour or just reflect. The dinner and breakfast we simple and wonderful and the chance to meet other travellers is always a valuable one. Our hosts Mbarrk and Sulieman Ziabieh are generous and knowledgable. Sleeping in the cabins is cosy and warm. It is the quietest experience you can have. An absolute highlight of our trip to Jordan!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 April 2014

My wife and I are at Rainbow Camp, our fourth visit here in the last 18 months. I am specifically writing to address the review recently written by" Claire B" who's review. in no way reflects any experience we have had here. The camp is personally operated by the brothers Mbarrk and Sulieman Zlabieh and their family. From our first visit we have always been treated with kindness, generosity with great personal attention to every detail of our stay. In addition to Mbarrk, there are two people who help with cooking, cleaning and maintenance of the camp. We have taken both jeep and camel tours several times and they are always informative and relaxing. One of the best parts of staying here is the excellent food prepared daily with local ingredients, never a "boxed lunch" or snack. Each tent is equipped with two beds, a bedside table with drawers, solar reading lamp and candles should you choose to use them. The family works very hard to give every visitor as authentic an experience as possible, often including visits to the tents of relatives offering tea and hospitality. Rainbow Camp is located very deep in the Wadi Rum protected area and it would be impossible to visit any souvenir or tea shops on a jeep tour since none exist within many miles of this area. I am quite sure that this traveler must have been at some camp other than Rainbow. It is because our stays here have been so memorable that we have returned so frequently and will continue to do so.

Room Tip: Every tent is cozy and comfortable.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ourdub
Reviewed 19 March 2014 via mobile

An unforgettable experience. The camp is in a pristine environment - very beautiful. Our host was charming and generous with his knowledge.
In the morning he showed us the tracks in the sand made by wild life in the area.

• Stayed: February 2014
3  Thank May M
Reviewed 14 March 2014

This is one of the most expensive camp in Wadi Rum, if you think you're going to get the best experience for this price, you will not! Bedouins are true business men here, no welcoming efforts. Yes, bathrooms were clean, (no wonder, we were the only customers..) but sheets on my bed didn't look 'fresh'. Food was ok, nothing special, they cook inside a neon lit tent with no opening for the fumes, we couln't stay by the fire...We also took a "2 hours" 4X4 tour with same people, we had to struggle with the driver not to do numerous stops next to 'tea and souvenirs' tents and insist to really drive and see something..
If you are looking for authenticity, we recommend you take a look at Lonely Planet or Guide du Routard say about Wadi Rum camps first!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Claire B
Reviewed 22 January 2014

I stayed one night at Rainbow Camp in December 2013. Mine was a visit that I think was different from any others that I saw posted at TA: I was the only guest at the camp the night I stayed there. There were three staffers on hand, Mubarak leading the way. I got the feeling that they didn’t really know what to do with me and weren’t used to having a solo female guest. But they were great, very welcoming, and seemed happy to have me there. At no point did I feel concerned or uncomfortable that I was there by myself.

I loved the tent. The twin bed was very clean and comfortable, there was a little area for storage, and a nice table lamp between the two beds. (They also leave candles and matches for you but using them made me nervous.) The door had a lock on it. Temps were still quite warm during the day when I visited and the nighttime temps were pleasant. In fact, I found the blankets that were provided were too hot and ended up using only the sheet. It rained a bit during the night but there was no leaking.

The food was spectacular (best lentil soup I’ve ever had but unfortunately, due to language barriers, I couldn’t get the recipe; another reason to return). At dinner and breakfast they laid out huge buffets just for me. We ate dinner around the indoor campfire, where the chicken had just roasted, and then visited for a while until it was time to turn in. My meals at Rainbow Camp were the best food I had in Jordan.

The bathroom was clean but I couldn’t get the lights to work in the morning or during the night.There was a switch, but nothing happened when I flipped it. Maybe they don't actually use the lights in there. At any rate, I had a headlamp with me (also a flashlight), which really came in handy—bring one. The shower had good water pressure and was large. In the ladies' restroom there were three (I think) shower stalls and maybe four or five toilet stalls. The camp provides you with a towel.

Alas, it was a bit cloudy the night I was there and I missed out on the famed Wadi Rum sunset. Nevertheless, the visit was great and I’d definitely go back again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo