“Great desert and bedouien experience”

Mohammad Mutlak Camp
Ranked #11 of 117 Speciality Lodging in Wadi Rum
Bredene, Belgium
“Great desert and bedouien experience”
Reviewed 13 June 2014

We stayed at this camp for a day and a half. We started at 9u30 at the Visitor Center and drove with the jeep through the Wadi Rum desert. Along the way we made some stops; for example to climb a sand dune, to view some ancient inscriptions and for lunch. In the afternoon we arrived at camp where we got some tea and could relax for a little bit. We had diner at the traditional bedouin way. The next morning we arrived back at the Visitor Center after a couple of hours on the back of dromedary.

The bedouins made us a nice diner, the rooms/tents are clean and it was just such a nice experience. Our guide, Mohamed, spoke very good English and it was a real pleasure to have him with us. I would certainly recommend this to everybody.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Korean first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 5 June 2014

I spent four days at Mohammed Mutlak Camp. I booked the trip online through their website. I had many questions and received prompt replies to all of them through our back and forth emails, which showed me that these were serious, accommodating people. As we agreed they picked me up at Rum village and from that very moment they made me feel as part of their family. I've been searching for paradise throughout the world for a very long time and I can tell you that nothing even comes close to the beauty of Wadi Rum. The best way to discover this place is to stay in one of the Bedouin camps. Every camp in the Wadi Rum Protected Area gives you an equal high quality accommodation because the Bedouin are some of the friendliest people you will ever meet. But the truth is that within this 720 square km protected area, not every camp is equally located. Mohammed Mutlak Camp is located right near the "Sunset Site" and that's why I chose it. The surrounding panoramas here are simply spiritual. The camp is located in front of Jebel Qattar. Facing this natural beauty every day brought me down to my knees.
Besides the natural beauty, the people from the camp were wonderful. They are friendly, down to earth and will do anything to make sure you leave with the best experience possible. Everybody speaks English.
The rooms are huge, super comfortable and extremely clean with western toilets and shower. There is a separate kitchen running on solar energy, from which the food provided is plentiful and otherwise excellent along with the nightly cooked meal from the zerb.
I took the four day tour which in my opinion is the ultimate experience of discovering this area. With the tour I was provided with guide, camel, 4x4, etc for each day. But each guide is not just a guide, they become your friends. Salem and his team pay attention to the smallest detail.
I can't wait to go back and when I do, I will only go back to this camp to experience the magic again !!!!
Julius from Canada

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Djula V
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Right from the very beginning we felt very comfortable with our camp hosts.
Everything was organized perfectly - no rushing, chaos or miscommunication on the way :)

Depending on your requirements they can provide camels, safari-type jeeps or/and proper 4x4s to move around the desert quickly during the day.
We kicked in at 10 am in the morning, spent the day in our jeep visiting some cool places around (Lawrence Spring / House, Burdah Bridge, Mushroom Rock, Red Sand Dunes, Um Froth Arch, etc).

In the afternoon we had a nice lunch (cooked on the spot by one of the bedouins) in the canyon, then continued further down towards other interesting spots...
Later on that evening when we settled down in the camp they served us traditional Zarb dinner buffet (cooked meat with vegetables, rice, hummus).
It was one of our friend's birthday that day - with very short notice they managed to organize everything incl. cake, baklava sweets, drinks.
All members of staff sang for us (local instruments involved) and the atmosphere was truly magnificent. Comfortable beds and bathroom facilities provided overnight.
Starry skies, camp fire and awesome sunrise next morning. What more can you ask for!

Overall, this trip fully satisfied our expectations and we only wished we could spend more time with bedouins :)
These guys clearly know what they're doing and this is the way it should be.
Thumbs up for the owner, Salem and Alena, all super helpful and hospitable.
I'd recommend this place to all my friends and family. Worth every penny!
Keep it that way!

Room Tip: Make sure you get the phone no. for Salem (the manager) before arrival...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Madrid, Spain
Reviewed 16 May 2014

We only had tje chance to stay one night at the camp and then take a half-day 4WD tour of Wadi Rum. We liked the camp because the tents were spacious and clean, and the beds comfortable. The food (cooked in an oven underground) was excellent, and the breakfast was also very good. The people were very friendly, and they answered all our questions regarding bedouin life. The WD tour was also nice. We had a very nice driver who spoke little English, but the driver of another car gave us some basic explanations. I would definitively recommend it! However, just note that the camp is located in an area where there are other camps nearby. This was not a problem for us, but it does feel a bit less secluded!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed 14 May 2014

I spent a wonderful night sleeping under blazing desert stars at Mohammed Mutlak camp after an exhilarating jeep tour through Wadi Rum protected area. Enjoyed the zarb barbeque (traditional Bedouin cooking) and flowing sweet tea as well as Bedouin music around the campfire; and then for a real treat got a yoga lesson at sunrise, with a meditation session from Alena (the resident instructor).

The camp is clean, the facilities are great, the company is friendly (and musical!), the food is delicious - what more could you ask for?

Room Tip: I recommend taking your mattress and sleeping under the stars.........but if it's windy, get a t...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Amman, Jordan
Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

I've visited wadi rum twice, the first time was with friends and we stayed in the captain's camp, it was an amazing experience. This time, I went with my parents and I want them to experience the really Bedouin style of camping in wadi rum, and they were surprised by the Mohammad mutlak camp. The Zarb barbeque was served as dinner, and there is even performance during the dinner session. The best part was they provided us the mattress for us to lay down to watch the starry sky wherever we want. It was 30 JD per person which dinner and breakfast is included, and with that nice accommodation, it's reasonably priced. I would return to this camp if I'm visiting wadi rum again.

Stayed November 2013
1 Thank KatelynNg
Mestia, Georgia
Reviewed 27 April 2014

We have just come back from a wonderful three day visit to Jordan and without a doubt the highlight was our two days at the Mohammed Mutlak Camp. We spent the first day doing a jeep trip in Wadi Rum. The trip included visiting Lawrence's spring, seeing the inscriptions on the rocks, the sand dunes, a hike in a beautiful canyon and more. It was a great balance between walking and riding in the jeep. Our guide, Mohammed, made us lunch in the shade. The second day we climbed Jebel Um Adaami which is a steep two hour climb to the summit from where there are the most beautiful views. At the base of the mountain the sand was covered in wild flowers which was amazing. We spent the night at the camp which is beautiful (especially the sunsets) and where the rooms are clean with clean linen and the food is plentiful and very good. We ate chicken and vegetables cooked in the traditional way underground which was absolutely delicious and there was plenty of food for the vegetarian in our group aswell. The staff at the camp and the guides Mohammed and Abdullah are all warm and friendly and willing to answer all our questions about Wadi Rum, the landscape, the plants and flowers, and Bedouin life and culture.

Wadi Rum itself has a stark majestic beauty which is very impressive. We have never seen so many different colours in rock. The peace and tranquility of the desert and the silence particularly at night are amazing. The staff at the camp brought us extra matresses so we could sleep outside under the stars which was wonderful (although the desert does get pretty cold at night). The staff are all funny and charming, and the operation is run with courtesy and efficiency. We particulary admired the way all the people running the camp managed to combine being open, warm and friendly with maintaining their own authenticity and dignity.

In short, we thoroughly recommend the Muhammed Mutlak Camp and can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: All the rooms seem to be the same but we chose to sleep outside which I recommend (though do bring w...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends