“An awesome experience”

Mohammad Mutlak Camp
Ranked #11 of 119 Speciality Lodging in Wadi Rum
Reviewed 12 July 2014

We had a wonderful tour of the desert on our way to the camp. The tour was just awesome. We even stopped and enjoyed tea at a Bedouin camp. Upon the arrival to the camp we were greeted and shown to our tent. Once we settled in we went to the main tent for dinner. Wow, we were introduced to the other guests, had tea, and enjoyed social hour. We enjoyed dinner and more social talk then out to enjoy the beautiful desert sky. We enjoyed a comfortable sleep and woke the next morning to a great breakfast. We said our goodbyes and began our camel ride tour back to the entrance. The ride was not the easiest, but going to the camp would not have been complete without it. We want to go back and stay a few more days at the camp. I recommend you stay here too. The people were so beautiful and hospitable and the camp was extremely comfy and inviting.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 1 July 2014

There are about 25 different Bedouin camps at which one might stay in Wadi Rum. My wife, our son, and I picked Mohammed Mutlak Camp, as it seemed more "homey" than purely commercial. We were rewarded by our choice. Salem, the manager, responded instantly to our online inquiries and assured us of our reservation. Our guide and driver, Mohammed, made sure everything worked. He quickly found us as we drove between the Rum Visitor Center and Rum Village, after we had been misdirected at the center (not by Mohammed Mutlak's staff). Mohammed was - well, still is - a real character, solicitous of our enjoying the experience, very knowledgeable, extremely funny, a fine singer and story teller. He allowed us all the time we needed at each site and offered very worldly-wise information. The camp itself is very comfortable, in Bedouin tents modified to be hard-sided and hard-floored. The center of the camp has wide, colorful tents for the evening meal (cooked underground in a zerb) and for breakfast (a fine Arabic breakfast), as well as for the evening entertainment of Bedouin drumming, singing, and storytelling, with Mohammed encouraging us to join in with our own songs and stories, as we wished. At the end of the festivities, we stepped outside into the quiet of the night and saw the Milky Way as we have not seen it in a decade. I should add that the landscape is magical and beautiful, as well as holding millenia of history.

Room Tip: All the rooms are good.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 June 2014

We stayed at this camp for a day and a half. We started at 9u30 at the Visitor Center and drove with the jeep through the Wadi Rum desert. Along the way we made some stops; for example to climb a sand dune, to view some ancient inscriptions and for lunch. In the afternoon we arrived at camp where we got some tea and could relax for a little bit. We had diner at the traditional bedouin way. The next morning we arrived back at the Visitor Center after a couple of hours on the back of dromedary.

The bedouins made us a nice diner, the rooms/tents are clean and it was just such a nice experience. Our guide, Mohamed, spoke very good English and it was a real pleasure to have him with us. I would certainly recommend this to everybody.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 June 2014

I spent four days at Mohammed Mutlak Camp. I booked the trip online through their website. I had many questions and received prompt replies to all of them through our back and forth emails, which showed me that these were serious, accommodating people. As we agreed they picked me up at Rum village and from that very moment they made me feel as part of their family. I've been searching for paradise throughout the world for a very long time and I can tell you that nothing even comes close to the beauty of Wadi Rum. The best way to discover this place is to stay in one of the Bedouin camps. Every camp in the Wadi Rum Protected Area gives you an equal high quality accommodation because the Bedouin are some of the friendliest people you will ever meet. But the truth is that within this 720 square km protected area, not every camp is equally located. Mohammed Mutlak Camp is located right near the "Sunset Site" and that's why I chose it. The surrounding panoramas here are simply spiritual. The camp is located in front of Jebel Qattar. Facing this natural beauty every day brought me down to my knees.
Besides the natural beauty, the people from the camp were wonderful. They are friendly, down to earth and will do anything to make sure you leave with the best experience possible. Everybody speaks English.
The rooms are huge, super comfortable and extremely clean with western toilets and shower. There is a separate kitchen running on solar energy, from which the food provided is plentiful and otherwise excellent along with the nightly cooked meal from the zerb.
I took the four day tour which in my opinion is the ultimate experience of discovering this area. With the tour I was provided with guide, camel, 4x4, etc for each day. But each guide is not just a guide, they become your friends. Salem and his team pay attention to the smallest detail.
I can't wait to go back and when I do, I will only go back to this camp to experience the magic again !!!!
Julius from Canada

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Djula V
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Right from the very beginning we felt very comfortable with our camp hosts.
Everything was organized perfectly - no rushing, chaos or miscommunication on the way :)

Depending on your requirements they can provide camels, safari-type jeeps or/and proper 4x4s to move around the desert quickly during the day.
We kicked in at 10 am in the morning, spent the day in our jeep visiting some cool places around (Lawrence Spring / House, Burdah Bridge, Mushroom Rock, Red Sand Dunes, Um Froth Arch, etc).

In the afternoon we had a nice lunch (cooked on the spot by one of the bedouins) in the canyon, then continued further down towards other interesting spots...
Later on that evening when we settled down in the camp they served us traditional Zarb dinner buffet (cooked meat with vegetables, rice, hummus).
It was one of our friend's birthday that day - with very short notice they managed to organize everything incl. cake, baklava sweets, drinks.
All members of staff sang for us (local instruments involved) and the atmosphere was truly magnificent. Comfortable beds and bathroom facilities provided overnight.
Starry skies, camp fire and awesome sunrise next morning. What more can you ask for!

Overall, this trip fully satisfied our expectations and we only wished we could spend more time with bedouins :)
These guys clearly know what they're doing and this is the way it should be.
Thumbs up for the owner, Salem and Alena, all super helpful and hospitable.
I'd recommend this place to all my friends and family. Worth every penny!
Keep it that way!

Room Tip: Make sure you get the phone no. for Salem (the manager) before arrival...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 May 2014

We only had tje chance to stay one night at the camp and then take a half-day 4WD tour of Wadi Rum. We liked the camp because the tents were spacious and clean, and the beds comfortable. The food (cooked in an oven underground) was excellent, and the breakfast was also very good. The people were very friendly, and they answered all our questions regarding bedouin life. The WD tour was also nice. We had a very nice driver who spoke little English, but the driver of another car gave us some basic explanations. I would definitively recommend it! However, just note that the camp is located in an area where there are other camps nearby. This was not a problem for us, but it does feel a bit less secluded!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 May 2014

I spent a wonderful night sleeping under blazing desert stars at Mohammed Mutlak camp after an exhilarating jeep tour through Wadi Rum protected area. Enjoyed the zarb barbeque (traditional Bedouin cooking) and flowing sweet tea as well as Bedouin music around the campfire; and then for a real treat got a yoga lesson at sunrise, with a meditation session from Alena (the resident instructor).

The camp is clean, the facilities are great, the company is friendly (and musical!), the food is delicious - what more could you ask for?

Room Tip: I recommend taking your mattress and sleeping under the stars.........but if it's windy, get a t...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo