We stayed here one evening during our Kenyan safari... we had to change rooms four or five times to finally find one with a properly-flushing toilet, but that was no big deal. The big deal was the amazing experience here that I don't think you can have anyplace else in the world.... you can look out your bedroom windows and see baboons. You can go to the ark platforms and watch cape buffalo and elephants at the salt lick... and we watched some sneaky hyenas try to take down a baby elephant (unsuccessfully.. yayy!).
There is also a sort of underground dungeon area where you can peer out the windows at the animals and be right on their level! The food at the buffet was good, and after that the genet cats would come to the glass doors near the bar area waiting to be fed. They were amazing creatures and you were practically face-to-face with them!
The rooms are small and modest and could use some updating, but the public areas are warm and inviting with fireplaces and nooks and crannies to read or simply watch the animals. we were also treated to getting to watch them feed the birds and saw hundreds of brilliantly-colored birds flock to the feeding.
It's not the Ritz Carlton... but it offers more than any 5-star hotel ever can.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set in the heart of the Aberdare National Park, iconic and yes, quirky, The Ark overlooks a floodlit waterhole and salt lick, which attracts a host of awesome wildlife. Resembling and named after Noah’s Ark, The Ark comprises of three decks from which numerous balconies and lounges provide a superb location for wildlife to be seen. The Ark has four viewing areas for observing the ever-present animal activity. There is also a ground level bunker – the perfect hideout for the discerning photographer. This is a circular pillbox-like structure, and it is from this vantage point that pictures of animals on the salt lick only yards away may be taken through the view holes in complete safety. As Monty Brown describes in his book, “Haven Under the Hill”: ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA and Booking.com so you can book your The Ark reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Ark Hotel Aberdare National Park
- Ark Aberdare National Park
- Ark Hotel Aberdare National Park
- The Ark Kenya/Aberdare National Park