This was a perfect place to extend our visit to the Aberdares. The lodge is charming, with beautiful buildings and gardens, lovely decor and a wonderful ambiance. The rooms are spacious and attractive, with fireplaces, comfy chairs and impressive bathrooms. We had adjoining rooms, and spent a lot of time enjoying the privacy of the patio outside our cottages. The buffet breakfast and lunch are substantial and varied. We especially enjoyed the evening meal served in a gorgeous wood-paneled dining room with huge log fire.The swimming pool was enjoyed by the children. The mini golf was closed, but there was a golf course, horse-riding and a game walk in the sanctuary (for a fee). Around the grounds we spotted impala, giraffe, warthogs, baboons and even a honey badger. The bird life is spectacular, not least the peacocks who put on impressive displays to the delight of photographers. Rock hyraxes might keep you awake at night! In all, it was a restful and relaxing respite and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Aberdare Country Club, only a three-hour drive northeast from Nairobi, is nestled on a slope of Mweiga Hill in the Aberdare Highlands, part of the Great Rift Valley. This captivating site was selected by an English couple who had decided to settle in the land of their choosing - Kenya. It all happened many years ago; their children grew up there, but then moved on to different places. After almost half a century, their home, "The Steep", was sold and re-named "The Aberdare Country Club". Even though the property was developed beyond the imaginings of the original owners, they would be pleased with how carefully it has been nurtured and the grandeur it has maintained. This is highlighted in Monty Brown's book, "Haven Under the Hill" which says: "Today, despite the fast-changing tempo of the outside world, the old home still retains that comfortable, solid feeling based on traditions from a time when life proceeded at a far more leisurely and gentle pace". The Club's 1,300 acre wildlife sanctuary is teeming with eland, impalas, zebras, giraffes and the more reclusive leopards. It is a haven of unhurried charm set in a garden bursting with a profusion of colour, and with peacocks living within the lush green lawns. Walking through this unspoiled terrain is paradise. Play a round of golf, watched by a family of warthog, or fish for trout, play tennis or just relax by the pool within the beautiful gardens. From here you can see the sunset with the stunning Aberdare Mountains as a backdrop. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, 5viajes2012 S.L., Hotels.com, Odigeo, Jovago.com, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Aberdare Country Club reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Aberdare Country Club Hotel Aberdare National Park
- Aberdare Country Club Kenya/Aberdare National Park