“Perfect spot for rest and relaxation”

Sarova Lion Hill Game Lodge
Kenya
“Perfect spot for rest and relaxation”
Reviewed 4 August 2014

My husband and I stayed at Sarova Lion Hill Lodge for one night and we enjoyed our stay. It was a great way to end a 1000 km long road trip. We had a restful and relaxing stay that allowed us to unwind on our “home stretch”.

The level of service is consistent with what you will find across other Sarova properties. Our room was clean and pleasantly rustic. The food was excellent and the overall level of service was good. Most of the staff were attentive and courteous. The only downside is that if you are not part of a large group, you tend to be overlooked at times and made to feel like a second-class guest. It’s a pity that the flamingoes have disappeared due to the rising water levels although this is not the lodge’s fault.

Overall, a pleasant experience and we will be back! I would recommend the lodge for short stays focused on rest and relaxation.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Makena_KR

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Vancouver
Reviewed 4 August 2014

We were fortunate to enjoy our first Safari experience here in July. Centrally located within the park, it gave us the perfect base for our daily adventures. From the time we arrived until departure, we were treated to excellent food and 5 star service.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Houston
Reviewed 30 July 2014

We stayed at the Sarova Lion Hill Lodge one night during our visit to Kenya and I was glad it was only for one night. We were traveling as a family of 5 with a private guide. The lodge was over run with large tour groups which is good for the lodge but not for individual travelers. You tend to get lost in the crowd during meals and I did not care for the cafeteria style dining. Some of the staff were very kind and some seemed as if the guest were an annoyance. We had a triple and double room. The rooms really need an update for the price the room cost. As a side note the flamingos are gone due to the high level of water in the lake not that this is the lodges fault.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Sutton Coldfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Lake Nakuru is such a compact gem that it's one of my favourite parks in Kenya, this lodge only adds to that opinion, the food is better than average, service has a very friendly feel and the rooms were immaculate what more is needed?

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Nakuru is a hidden gem, very beautiful grounds and wonderful staff. I wished we stayed here for two nights, this was a cozy resort with good food and lovely people who work there.

They served the best breakfast and buffet lunch in all the hotels I visited around East Africa. Imagine, I tried quail eggs!

The room is on top of a small hill, and a bit on the small side, but the staff were so kind to leave a hot water bag in the bed (for the cold night)! Very thoughtful.

I tried the massage service there, which was good and very cheap (compared to US prices). Ruth was very nice, attentive and did a great job.

There's a Masai, Oliyango, who works there at the reception, providing welcome drinks and a hot towel. Very nice guy! So helpful and sweet, always smiling and was very interesting to talk to. He took some nice photos of us too!

Wake up in the morning to the sound of birds. We did not see any flamingos at Nakuru (the lake does not provide them food anymore), but we did see our first lions, a Black Rhino (very rare), lots of giraffe, zebra, impalas and other grazers.

Room Tip: Don't choose a room high up the hill, many steps to climb - can be tricky in the dark.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Korirk, General Manager at Sarova Lion Hill Game Lodge, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Esteemed Guest
Thank you for choosing to stay with us on your recent visit to Lake Nakuru National Park and also taking time to review your stay with us.
I will most certainly let Ruth and Ole Naso know of your impressions
Again Asante Sana and we look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future

Washington, DC
Reviewed 22 July 2014

My organization selected this site to hold our annual project planning exercise and it was an idyllic location - lovely flora and fauna - great food, friendly people and simple, but nice rooms. The hotel does not count on people staying for as long as we did so the first thing you notice after 48 hours is that the food is basically always the same. I will say that the chicken was GREAT and the steak was as well. I felt that any food uneaten other than the main meals, we reused, reheated for dinner making lunch the best meal and dinner a little less pleasant. Someone who would normally stay overnight, or perhaps a second night, would likely not notice this, but I did and grew weary of it. This is not to sully the staff in anyway. They were all very friendly and helpful and grew to understand our patterns (14 people) since we were there so long - 6 nights. I have been on many safaris and knew that an afternoon trip would be different than an early morning venture through the park but I also knew we were there to work and not play. In conclusion, I would recommend this hotel to people doing a short stay and would suggest that those staying longer work with the hotel on providing a great variety of main courses.

Room Tip: All the rooms are the same.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank GlennStrachan
Esteemed Guest
I must assure that as a certified Kenya Bureau of Standards (KEBS) Food Handler we never and will never recycle food, we are gratified however that you enjoyed your stay

Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We were here for only one night and glad it was jut that. The rooms are extremely small and are in need of major renovations. The bathroom had chipped paint on door and walls, the sink faucet was so loose that when you turned it on the whole faucet moved and our shower had hairs in it. I felt dirty just being in the bathroom. The beds are rock hard and I was unable to get any sleep and my companions experienced the same thing.

They do offer an interactive dance in the bar with a local tribe around a fireplace and a very nice gift shop. Food was mediocre at best and service was worse. I could not get the server to clear my plates. She cleared everyone else's but mine. I even stacked them up and placed them on the corner of the table for pick up. When she dropped our check she still did not pick them up. I gave up.

Game viewing is good around the area. We were able to catch a tree claiming lion perched in a tree, many giraffe and water buffalo. There were not many flamingos on the lake due to the season but that was ok since we got plenty of animal wildlife in.

If I had to do it over I might skip Lion Hill and stay at one of the other fabulous locations we experienced in Kenya.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Esteemed Guest
I have noted with regret the aspects in which we regrettably did not live up to expectations in regards to bathroom cleanliness and dining experience. I have shared your experience with the Management team and wish to assure you that the same will be addressed.
We look forward to welcoming you again soon

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lake Nakuru National Park
#2 of 17 in Nakuru
Maili Saba Camp - Nakuru
Maili Saba Camp - Nakuru
#5 of 7 in Lake Nakuru National Park

Been to Sarova Lion Hill Game Lodge? Share your experiences!