“Totally Stunning” 5 of 5 bubbles

Voi Safari Lodge
Sunderland
“Totally Stunning”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2012

Our first visit to Kenya and we stayed here for one night during our safari trip that we had booked with Shadrack and Glorious Safaris and we thought it was marvellous. It is a magical place overlooking the plains of Tsavo East and the view is just breathtaking.

We were greeted with cold juice and a fresh towel to freshen up with, which was great after a long dusty drive.
After a swift check in, we went straight for lunch and we sat in a lovely open restaurant with amazing views.. From the restaurant and bar you look straight down on a very busy watering hole where all kinds of animals come to drink, especially the elephants.
We sat and ate our lunch overlooking a small herd of ele’s who had come to visit for a drink. We heard the grumbles and rumbles of the elephants as we ate which was a truly incredible experience. The food was fresh and very tasty and the staff very friendly and attentive, lovely breakfast, lunch and evening meals.

There are lovely gardens to wander around and lots of Rock Hyraxes’ sunning themselves on the rocks, there is also a pool and bar again with stunning views over the African plains.

Our room was clean, bright and modern, with a lovely en-suite bathroom with lots of hot water. The beds were really comfortable, complete with full mosquito nets around them. Our room overlooked the watering hole and at dawn the next morning the view was fabulous, beautiful colours of the dawn sky and lots of elephants. Just amazing!

After lunch we visited the hide, which is located at the bottom of the gardens. It was so fantastic to get so close to the elephants, you were so close, (only a few feet away) you could even hear them breathing. We even visited the hide at night which was just magical as we watched a poor baby elephant falling asleep on its mother as she was drinking. Bless!

I would definitely recommend the Voi Safari Lodge for overnight stop on safari, a fabulous place. Please feel free to ask me any questions; I’ll be more than happy to respond.
Thanks Jane

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Polish first
Chepstow, Wales
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2012

One night stay in July 2012 whilst on a two night / three day safari with Thomson from Baobab Beach Resort & Spa.
Full board basis so all drink had to be paid for. A bottle of Sprite was 200 KES (£1.80 / $2.50). A bottle of water was a little more, didn't buy alcohol so can only imagine it would be costly.
Everyone expects tips so bring lots of low denomination money.
The location is stunning. It's built around a watering hole so you see lots of elephant and buffalo.
The food was good and the services was lovely. The rooms were nice with fabulous bathrooms (if a little small!).
Every room has a stunning view. There are lovely places to sit and just look out over the plains. It was extremely clean everywhere. Power and hot water were available all the time. There is a lovely pool with bar - again with incredible views.
There is a veiwing point right down by the watering hole - you get really close to the animals. It's wonderful.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank BizziBee_9
Dereham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2012

We stayed at the Voi Lodge for one night during our visit to Kenya. The whole place is very tired and very basic. The rooms are tatty and dark, luckily we were extremely tired from the safari so were able to sleep! At dinner time the staff were not at all friendly, or accommodating, they had run out of soup bowls so we had to wait about 10 minutes for some more to arrive, we were asked to pay for our drinks as soon as they were in our hands, we only had dollars and were asked to go to reception to pay! We asked for a tab as we may want more drinks during our meal but told we had to pay for each one as we had them! When the exchange rate was sorted the waitress struggled to add up how much we owed and we were made to feel like we were a nuisance. The quality of food is very poor and was tepid. On a positive note (yes there is one!) the view is amazing and I cannot imagine another lodge would have the same panoramic view, with a good pair of binoculors you can see so many animals! There is also a hide where you can view the elephants and other animals at the watering hole at close quarters which was fantastic. I would suggest you call into this place, but don't stay!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank HelennRob
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2012

And Voi Safari Lodge resides on it, a Safari package without a visit to Voi Safari Lodge is not complete one. The location is so strategic and the view is breathtaking and I remember standing there and watching the never ending landscape for hours.
The food is great, so are rooms and the staff are professional but some of them are reserved and I did not like it.
Make sure you close your windows properly or some unwanted visitors will climb through it.
If I ever go back there, then it will be the VIEW and I will be back just for that view.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Delfgauw, The Netherlands
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2012

I have been staying at this hotel for over 40 years, But my last vista was my last trip there ever, We started one night and on the afternoon went for a swim, My partner took a towel to the pool from the room. We where also given towels at the pool, so forgot we had take a room towel to the pool.

The next day after we had left on a game drive on the way out of the park, The driver gets a call from the hotel saying that we have stolen a towel and must return to the lodge, I told the driver no and we will carry on enjoying the game drive, The driver get author call from the lodge saying we must return because we will not be allowed to leave the park.

I then speak to the hotel and ask to speak to the Manager, to be told he is on his way to Mombasa, I ask them to call him on his mobile to be told he does not have a mobile, I then ask for the assisted Manager, Again I am told he is not in the lodge but I must come back.

I tell the drive he must go to the gate and leave as I will not go back to the hotel, When we get to the gate we are held up by KWS staff with guns and told we are not allowed to leave the park.

I was lucky and managed to call the hotels HQ in Mombasa and explained the problem, Within 5 minutes of the call the Manager of the hotel called me and was able to get KWS to open the gate and let us leave the park.

So after 40 years of going back one or twice a year to the lodge I will never got back. It comes to something when you lose a towel in a hotel to be held up a gun point,

If you do stay here be very careful of your towels, you may end up being held up a gun point,

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank stupot1
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2012

After reading reviews I was beginning to dread my stay here. We were staying in Diani Beach and had a 1 night safari booked which included staying at Voi Safari Lodge. I read a number of reviews before we went and saw some horrific photos of dirty and dated bathrooms in the lodge. All I can say is that the lodge must have had a huge refurb or the photos were not of the lodge guest rooms! Our room was clean, bright and modern. Ok it was basic but it's a safari lodge not a 5 star hotel!!Air con would have been nice but there was a fan in the room. A full mosquito net / screen around the bed area made me feel confident that I was safe from bites! I would have happily stayed numerous nights as it was so comfortable, with excellent food and service. The pool area was lovely and relaxing however the water was freezing!I'm now looking for a safari in Tanzania and just hope I can get accomodation as good as this!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank Sarah M
Leatherhead, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2012

We had one night at the Voi Safari Lodge whilst on safari with Jt Safaris, and it's one of those places that makes you gasp as you walk in to reception, with views stretching for miles across the African planes. From the restaurant and bar you look straight down on a very busy watering hole, as well as an underground hide right next to the watering hole itself. The hotel room was a little cramped, but we were three adults sharing one room which was probably only designed for two. The food was very tasty and the staff very friendly. We were there in may, which is low season, so the hotel was very quiet. I don't know why they call it low season as we had no problem seeing loads of animals on our safari, and the weather was lovely. I think there were probably only four or five rooms in use when we were there, so it was beautifully peaceful (other than the distant sounds of the animals). I would recommend the Voi Safari Lodge for overnight stops on safari, but personally would struggle to spend too much time there, but it's probably not designed for people to spend time at because there are so many things to see just outside the door.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
Voi Lutheran Guesthouse
Eco-Lodge Kuwinda Tented Camp
Eco-Lodge Kuwinda Tented Camp
#1 of 1 in Tsavo National Park East

Been to Voi Safari Lodge? Share your experiences!