“Amazing place”

Severin Safari Camp
Reviewed 27 April 2014

We stayed here for one night and I wish it could have been a week. The tented camp in the middle if no where was truly amazing. The tents were spotless and had every thing you would need. They were very chic really. Comfy beds with a beautiful canopy over head that the staff came and put down at night when they turned the beds down. There was a book of information that told you all about the place who started and when which made a nice read when you were sitting out on your terrace watching the animals walk past totally unbelievable. After an early morning breakfast we were off on our drive and when we returned for lunch we had a dip in the swimming pool which was a welcome relief to the afternoon sun. Just as we settled for an hour the rain came and it was like rain I had never seen but this was not a problem we settled into the bar area and watched the lightening storm and the animals walking around. We decided not to go on our afternoon drive but to stay where we were and take in the whole atmosphere of the place as it was really breath taking. We sat there for a couple of hours taking to others and the staff. We went to change for dinner and returned to the bar for a drink before dinner and as we were there the staff noticed some thing outside when suddenly the owner came and started to pull us outside to show us some thing it was a leopard just walking through the site it was magical. We were so pleased that we had not gone for our drive that afternoon or we would still be getting ready for dinner and missed it. The staff are amazing and friendly and will go that extra mile to make your stay perfect the owner was there and very friendly engaging in conversation. The masi men Tom and Harrison are really fab they can spot an animal up to 250 meters away and have fantastic story's to tell you. They escort you to and from your tent once the sun has gone down. It's lights out at 11pm but we sat on our terrace till late and the animals were still walking about we never once feel uneasy or scared which is unreal as I jump at the site of a spider at home. Now for the food which was outstanding it was al carte all the way breakfast lunch and dinner and it was mouth watering. The whole experience for me was a dream come true and I will be returning next year to take Tom and Harrison up on the offer of a walk through the bush with them. I would strongly suggest that when you are out on your safari that you spend a night here you will love the place so a big thank you to all the staff and see you next time Lorraine and Carol

• Stayed: March 2014

Reviewed 20 March 2014

This was my first time to Tsavo west and therefore I wasn't sure what to expect. The dry area, with lots of trees and bush, meant that our search for animals would be some form of adventure. As soon as we arrived we spotted three elephants on out way to the camp.
The service was wonderful. From the beginning to the last day. They are always trying to make your stay more comfortable. They do try their best to ensure that you understand everything around you. They are willing to answer any question you may have.
The breakfast was a buffet while the dinner and lunch were a la carte. I tried different things on the menu so I could at least leave saying I tried something new. I enjoyed the fondue but my favorite would be the hot stone.
Tsavo is very hot therefore when you see a pool yuo jump at the opportunity to cool down. This particular pool however was stunning and had a view. On a good day you may spot a number of animals.
The evenings were wonderful by the fire. We managed to see giraffes and impalas eating and entertaining us.
Another favorite memory was being able to gaze at the stars once the lights went out at 11 pm. It was definitely beautiful and the cacophony of sounds made by the animals out in the bush made it more thrilling.
Once your inside your tent you may get a rush trying to guess what animal is outside your tent,
I wouldn't suggest this camp to young families however I would suggest it to everyone!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 March 2014

We were staying at Severin Camp during our private Safari to Tsavo East and West in February 2014. We were traveling with family (2 kids 6 and 9 years).

Severin offered us a superb African experience. Staff was very friendly and the overall service was the best we experienced during our two weeks holiday in Kenya. Severin camp is very well maintained and they have a great attention to even the smallest details.

There is a great pool area available with sun beds and a bar. There are several water holes around the camp so you can expect to see a lot of animals during the dinner and evening.

Free wi-fi is available and it worked reliably during our stay.

The tents are in spotless condition and there are great views. We had to split our family to two tents since they apparently did not have a family unit available - this was not the best possible setting but not a major problem. Since the camp itself was so great I hope we would have booked at least two nights instead of just one. Our safari was booked with JT safaris (their head office is next to Diani Sea Resort).

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 February 2014

Stayed here one night on a safari and it was more than lovely. We were late for lunch, but that was no problem. Lunch was excellent, a fantastic a la carte menu. Staff was very very friendly and helpful. The dinner was also a la carte and even better. The view from the restaurant is really nice and drinks have a normal price. There is free wifi, great!
The tents are magnificient. A Masai brings you to your tent and is very friendly. The tent has everything you can wish for. It is very clean and the matresses are fine. The view on the waterhole from the tent was ok and the light went out at 11 pm.
I would certainly recommend this place!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 February 2014

We just came back and we had a great time here. We stayed at the camp for 2 nights.
The tentroom was beautiful, very clean and they have mosquito nets! The staff puts the nets down for the guests at night time. Good matrasses!

During the nights I woke up because of some noise, Zebra's were eating the grass in front of our tent. Amazing!

The camp doesn't have a fence around it, so you just see giraffes, zebra, impala,karibu, birds, baboons, etc. on your doorstep.

I am on a medical diet (there are a lot of thing I cannot eat, for example gluten and lactose) and communicated about this before I came over. I took some glutenfree bread and flour from Europe to Kenya.
Upon arrival I met up with one of the chefs and together we worked out what to eat while being in the resort. Big compliments to chef Cyril and his staff! They have made my vacation so relaxed. It was such a good feeling to be able to rely on their cooking.

One warning: you might be gaining some weight, because it's a 4 course-lunch and so is dinner!
But I guess gamedrives make people hungry, because every time we went to the restaurants, we were looking forward to eating!

The gamedrives were awesome. We had a very experienced, sweet and funny driver, nicknamed mister Sugar. Compliments to mister Sugar!

Had a good massage at Kinbala Spa (if you would like the strong version, ask them).

So...no worries, relaxed stay. I definately recommend this resort!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 February 2014

This was our first stop as we began 2 weeks of safaris at 5 different parks....This was camping as I never knew it! Our 'tent' was amazing....well outfitted, super comfortable bed and everything user friendly...guards came to escort us to and from the dining room once darkness had fallen. As we sat down to dinner, looking out over the field in front of us, there was a parade of giraffes, zebras, baboons, all kinds of antelopes....we could hardly eat...it was so amazing....the parade continued the whole time we sat there....a delicious dinner was served by the friendly wait-staff. There was shop with interesting articles at very reasonable prices....highly recommended!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Severin_Kenya, Leiter Gästebetreuung at Severin Safari Camp, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2014

Dear Elizabeth,

Thank you so much for your Feedback.

It was our pleasure to welcome and host you here at Severin Safari Camp and I’m glad you enjoyed your stay with us so much! Indeed it is a wonderful and unique place out here in the wilderness.

We look forward to welcoming you again soon!

Best & Warm Regards,

Manja Seifert
Guest Relations Manager

Reviewed 11 February 2014

This lodge is wonderful in every aspects: perfect location with nice views, very friendly and professional staff, and the tents are almost as comfortable as rooms would be in a good five star hotel. The food is also very good. I saw a lot of zebras while having dinner - a memorable experience. Absolutely recommended.

Room Tip: Go for one of the junior suites or the main suites if you can afford it.