“Not my idea of a relaxing resort, but ok if you have kids.”

Avillion Port Dickson
Ranked #2 of 37 Hotels in Port Dickson
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Spent two nights at Avillion over the weekend. The resort has a few pro's and con's.

Pro's: Good location, kind of close to other activities and eateries. Has activities to keep young kids entertained - petting zoo daily 10-11am, cooking classes for kids 4pm, a child friendly pool, and a kids only pool with water slide, and it's located on the beach so you could walk and make some discoveries on the beach of washed up things. There's cheap banana boating (20RM/person) along the beach outside the hotel. Staff are friendly, check in/out is easy, you can charge everything to your room and pay in 1 transaction on check out. Food is expensive but tastes good. Grounds and gardens are amazingly maintained and beautiful to look at.

Avi Spa - the spa within the Avillion deserves a tripadvisor page of it's own! It's heaven on earth! From the moment you walk in until the moment you leave you're treated like royalty. It's expensive compared to the local Malaysian massages places, but all the little extras and the skilful masseurs are totally worth it. Upon arrival you're given cold tea and a cool face towel to freshen up. We just had neck/shoulder/back massages but that included a quick foot scrub and soak. The massages themselves were amazing then afterwards you're given fruit and tea and sit outside on the balcony. Any spa treatments also include access to the bar upstairs (also can get access if you've paid for a premium water chalet). We booked our spa treatments for 7.30pm and sat the bar (only serves non alcoholic drinks though) for an hour and watched the sun go down. Amazing! Avi Spa is worth the trip itself! Would totally come back to Avi Spa in a heartbeat!

Con's:
My biggest gripe is the resort was pimped out to the max the weekend we stayed, and it wasn't even a Malaysian long weekend. One night there was a wedding on the left side of the resort, meaning beach access was limited after a certain time, and the next night there was a wedding on the right hand side of the resort, meaning beach access was blocked late afternoon. This also meant the carpark was full of wedding guests and hotel guests who'd paid top dollar for accommodation couldn't park.

On the Saturday 2 of the cafe's (including the cheapest café on the premises) were closed for private functions. How about using your private function rooms and providing catering Avillion? Then your hotel guests wouldn't be forced to go outside for food.

Breakfast is RM98++ per person, which is crazy expensive. Lucky we had our car with us and ate at PD Eating Point a few km's down the road. We had a big breakfast for RM6.50 each, plus a few RM for tea/coffee.

There's hardly any foreign tourists here, so there's a lot of people with cars. There's parking at the front of the hotel but the overflow parking is across the busy highway (good luck crossing)!

Not all the watersports in the resort are available, despite being advertised in numerous places around the resort. There's watersports on the beach providing there's no wedding and you can access the beach, but they're not regulated by the hotel so be prepared to be told one price before the usage of the equipment and told another (higher) price after usage.

If staying here you must walk along the beach to Sun Sea Water Sports and try the wind surfing. 50RM/hour hire, and 30RM/hour tuition - a complete bargain. It's a small husband and wife run business and they also care for the cats abandoned at the beach.

Another must is to try El Cactus Mexican restaurant down the road. We had entrée, 2 mains, 3 beers, 2 cocktails and it wasn't even RM150! Bargain. Definitely try the nachos!

Another tip: don't waste your time with the water chalets unless you know someone in Management at the hotel and can get you a chalet with a view of the water. Most of the rooms have a view directly into the opposite room, not any water. And at night time mosquitos make their way in through the open shower, and the rain/waves at night can be quite loud. Just pay for a cheaper garden view room and go for a walk up the water chalets just to have a look.

All in all, not a bad resort but waaaaaaay too busy for my liking. The saving grace was the Avi Spa and that we had a car and could drive to other places for entertainment and eating.

I personally wouldn't stay here again, not at the price. We've stayed at Grand Lexus which will be our choice next time in Port Dickson. Saying that, if you have kids this is definitely a child friendly hotel, apart from the million and one steps! There's a lift but it doesn't take you to the lowest floor (the floor which gives access to all the rooms, pools and café). So be prepared to carry your pram up and down a heap of stairs all weekend!

Room Tip: Forget any of the water chalet rooms. Expensive, most rooms have a view of the opposite room and not...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
13  Thank AussieAbroad011
APDMQuay, General Manager at Avillion Port Dickson, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2014

provided!

It disheartens me to read about your experience at our Resort.

It is certainly not the hotel experience we promised to our valued customers

I’m glad to hear that despite the
inconvenience, you had managed to fully enjoy your stay with us.

Thank you again for staying with us and have a great week ahead

Michael Quay

Write a ReviewReviews (1,521)

Reviewed 26 April 2014

Check in is a bit slow but after that everything was smooth. Room decor is nice n relaxing. The beach is nice and the spa is also nice. Had fun with my partner at the beach with the activities provided by the hotel. Will be back here again!

• Stayed: April 2014
7  Thank ctyjess

Thank you very much for the excellent review!

I am delighted to read that your recent stay at the hotel was a memorable one.
Looking forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed 24 April 2014 via mobile

We came back to Avillion for the second time this year, staying for four days in mid April. We are a family of four, comprising of a young baby and a three year old. We stayed on a "privilege" type package which basically just means expensive as it's in the huts right on the water, with beautiful views.

Let's start with the good. The facilities are really great. Multiple pools, a beach nearby, restaurants and convenience. Staff are smily and friendly (we will come back to this later), the spa is super nice (if you like a massage), babysitting is available, restaurants are multiple and bars are nice.

Now, the experience.

On arrival with a baby in stifling heat, 45 minutes before rooms were ready, the staff were lost as to how to help us. The look of confusion and feelings of being lost is not exactly what you want to see from the people in charge of a five star establishment. On being sat down the restaurant we waited 30 minutes for a glass of wine. Only to be told it wasn't available and that another (somewhat random one, not on the menu) was.

The food

The restaurant menus are tired and unimaginative. I got a mild case of food poisoning soon after. I was laid out for a day after that.
I was then served bloody (raw) chicken for dinner under the "crow speciality" dish with steamed chicken. When I asked the restaurant manager to take it back he look confused at me, and asked if I'd like it fried. I said: I want it cooked properly. He left, but no apology followed. This was very disturbing from a food hygiene perspective.

The staff
English was not easily understood. Staff are wonderful but woefully undertrained. Most are docile, smily, going about their business, but largely unresponsive to new events. On two occasions our hotel card stopped working, just at that moment when you are going back to feed the baby and it's 30C. I asked a member of staff to help, which they obliged and called someone on their radio. But there was no hurry to come, and time passed so I took matters into my own hands and dragged one of the room attendants to open it for me there and there. Somewhat later someone else would turn up looking sheepish but too late.

It is clear that the competent staff are promoted quickly to middle management roles, those that can speak English and want to help you. (Thanks Raj from front desk) otherwise everyone tends to their own little part of the world, and has little ability to respond to guest needs.

Guest awareness is not great. Waiters are slow unless their managers are looking over their shoulders. They will put a knife in front of a three year old because they're not thinking. Some managers are responsive but some walk past you struggling to move your pram up stairs without blinking.

(Funny layout, the main building is on three levels with elevators. But the elevators take you in between floors which means you almost always need to traverse some stairs. Disabled friendly? No. Pram friendly? No.)

Security
Fantastic. Ever present, smily. What more do you want.

Rooms.
Beautiful design and build, with stunning views. Deadlock on doors is not ideal, leaving your room for a moment can result in you being locked out and having to go hunting for an attendant to call someone else and then wait in 30C for someone eventually.

My son (3yr old) woke up one morning covered in bed bug bites and mosquito bites, all over his face and arms. We thought it was chicken pox at first, but alas no. There are signs warning travellers of inspects all year around which is good unless they are in your bed of course.

Drinks
The cocktail list was unusually long for a retreat. When I asked one of the smily waiters what one was like, he shook his head and said he doesn't drink. Of course, I felt the fool. But then, if you are a vegetarian working in a steak restaurant you should probably learn something to say if someone asks you a question. Again, no training, little management and coordination. Just cheap labour.

Summary

I rarely write reviews, but this grabbed me. This is a beautiful hotel filled with nice smily people. But it is not what it used to me, and is clearly sliding from under investment in its staff, training and basic hospitality services.

I would love to come back here again, but I'm not sure at the moment. At least until all the bites clear up..

Mike

Stayed: April 2014
11  Thank GaborMK
APDMQuay, General Manager at Avillion Port Dickson, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2014

Thank you for finding the time to provide us with this review…

It disheartens me to read about your experience at the hotel.

I am truly sorry for the unpleasant experience you had with us.
It is certainly not the hotel experience we promised to our valued customers.

Trust that your comments were not taken lightly by me or the team as
corrective measures have been carried out to avoid similar incidents from reoccurring.

Meanwhile, I am looking forward to welcoming you again soon and get your new feedback and to welcome you back to your "home away from home" soon!

Reviewed 22 April 2014

I had stayed here afew times. Avillion have very good facilities even sauna & spa. There is 2 Swim pool - for kids & adult. There is mini animal pet farm ie. birds , rabbit, peacock, local chickens, hamster etc. Buffet breakfast is good & complete so as dinner was good as well though need to be improve more varieties food. Chalet room was great with interior ie. big bath tub & jacuzzi.
Kids club play room was good video games & facilities.

Room Tip: Chalet rooms by swimming pools
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank chef_calvinchan

Thank you for the absolutely amazing review provided!

I’m amazed to hear such wonderful comments and it keeps us motivated and our staff will be truly grateful to hear the kind words you have mentioned of them.

Hope that your wonderful stay has indeed inspire you to return and should you do,
please do reach out to us and we will be very happy to arrange for another memorable stay with us!

Reviewed 14 April 2014 via mobile

The beach, the environment and the ocean were perfect! Great relaxing experience but bear in mind, no breakfast included unless you book the premium room. The facilities in room is above average, yet for a 5 star levels hotel I do expect more.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Yeezhen F

Thank you for taking time to share your comments with us.

Your kind comments are most valued.
Please be assured that we have taken note of your feedback especially the facilities in the room

Your continuous support will be appreciated and to receive high compliments for your return visit means a lot to us.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 14 April 2014

Check-in at the reception was smooth. We stayed in the Water Chalet Cochin #620 for 1 night which we paid RM400.00++ not including breakfast. Was told by the reception that breakfast was about RM37++ per person. The room is spacious and cleanliness is above average. The seaview from the balcony was good. There is a big Pangkin daybed by the window and open-air shower which I love. Oh, don’t leave the balcony and bathroom door open for long – the mosquitoes might get in. My husband got bitten by mozzies at night. Housekeeping should provide electric mosquito repellent in the rooms. And strange that hand towels is not provided, only bath towels.

The entire garden and lush surroundings is tidy and well kept. Beautiful peacock and chickens roaming in the gardens. We enjoyed swimming in the kids pool and Village pool in the evening. There is also a Pet Farm where you can see rabbits, chickens and tortoise as well as squirrels on the trees.

What really bothered us was the lousy and double standard service by some of the waiters and staffs of the resort. One example: That night, we went for dinner at the Crow’s Nest which served continental à la carte. There was about 3 or 4 waiters and staffs standing near the cashier counter just chatting with each other. My husband was carrying our 3-year old daughter when we arrived at the restaurant and the staff there just ignored us as if we don't exist. He had to push open the thick heavy glass door by himself and had to ask one of the staff where to sit. If not, they’d just be busy chatting and ignored us. Good thing the waiter later offered us a kid's menu. Food was delicious though but the waiters were not alert to see that our water goblets needed to be replenished with cold drinking water - we just waited and observed. When we almost finished our meals, there were other guests just arriving. We noticed that the staffs will quickly usher and open the door to greet and welcome Westerners but will ignore the Malaysian guests.

Why the double standard, Avillion? Why only smile, acknowledge and service Westerners? We local guests are paying too, you know? I didn't expect an expensive award-winning beach resort to treat their local guests this way. Such a shame.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
9  Thank Earelia

Thank you for staying with us and truly appreciate your feedbacks!

I apologize for the inconvenience that you had faced during your stay with us.
Rest assured that all our guests are treated equally and that it might has been an oversight on our behalf.

I really hope that you would give us another opportunity to serve you better…

Reviewed 11 April 2014

I spent two nights here: one at the beginning of my trip and another at the end of my trip. The pros: the grounds are beautiful, and the beach is quite nice. But overall I was disappointed because of the poor staff service, and inferior rooms. Here are some examples: at breakfast the lady in charge of cooking eggs and omelettes was chatting with her friend and could see that there were people waiting in line and she couldn't be bothered to do her job; at dinner we ordered three entrees for our group, and they only delivered two of the three entrees and forgot to make the third entrée; my romaine salad was a few leaves of wilted romaine with no dressing; there was only one towel in my room; the bathroom/shower/toilet are outside in an enclosed area and it was EXTREMELY hot; the rooms were old and tired; two of the lights in my room didn't work; the air conditioning was noisy; their business center is a joke; the wifi is problematic; the water in the two swimming pools are is very warm and uncomfortable. I could go on, but I think you get the idea.

Room Tip: Don't get a room on the dock area with the big spa at the end because it totally blocks your vie...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
9  Thank bobca1947
APDMQuay, General Manager at Avillion Port Dickson, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2014

Thank you very much for the review provided!

It disheartens me to read about your experience at the hotel.

I have also learnt about your experience through my team and I am truly sorry for the unpleasant experience you had with us. It is certainly not the hotel experience we promised to our valued customers

I’m glad to hear that despite the inconvenience, you had managed to fully enjoy your stay with us.

Thank you again for staying with us and have a great week ahead