“5-star price, 3-star service” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Avillion Port Dickson

Avillion Port Dickson
Ranked #2 of 36 Hotels in Port Dickson
“5-star price, 3-star service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

Check-in time was delayed by 1 hour since they still need time to clean the room when i check-in at 3pm.
I booked the Premium Water Chalet with the Sea-View at the premium rate but I gotten the chalet 717 which the sea-view was blocked from both side.
I tried to change but there wasn't any rooms available...even though the front-desk was helpful.

Only saving grace was the Avi-spa which was 5-star service.

Room Tip: Only book the premium seaview water chalet if you can confirm on the good ones. If not please give...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
13 Thank Simon T
APDMQuay, General Manager at Avillion Port Dickson, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Thank you for finding the time to provide us with this review…

I have taken note of the comments provided and have channeled them to the team to assist improving our services to help serve you and our future guests better.

We have taken full note of the inconvenience you had faced and will inform the team to improve these areas for our future guest.

Michael Quay

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (405)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Klang, Malaysia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014

Overall so far so good but the check in time can be improve and our water chalet is facing the temasik beach which is nice and privacy view. Findout the few lighting is not function but been fixed by the maintenance people as few call, it can be improve before guest check in. Customer service front desk can be improve as they need to be more proactive. Suggest. car park area may need to have traffic light as the road abit busy.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank ivanng86
APDMQuay, General Manager at Avillion Port Dickson, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Thank you for finding the time to provide us with this review.

I am happy to hear that you have thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us.
Please be assured that I have taken note of your unpleasant experiences too.

Should you decide to return for another stay, please do let us know and we will be very happy to accommodate and welcome you back for a return stay.

Sri Kembangan, Malaysia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2014

I and my wife been planning to go over to Avillion for some time and finally manage to get the time to make the trip to PD. It's been 6 year's since we last visited PD. I was at Avillion last year with my company for a meeting and I enjoyed my stay. So we decided to go to Avillion instead of the Lexis.

I initially booked to stay at Water Chalet. The check in was smooth and was ushered to my room. The time was around 330pm or so. The moment I stepped in, the entire room was full with flies, i mean tenths of flies if not hundreds. On top of that, both the daybed and also the main bed was dirty and it has stains all over. I called up the reception and they arranged to upgrade me to Premium Water Chalet. The entire process took about 1 hour or so. When we finally got the Premium room ready, it is the same, some flies, but a couple of stain again on the daybed and also the main bed. That just spoils the mood. Instead of calling in, I went to the reception and informed Raj at the counter, and showed the pic I took with my phone. I told them to fix it and I will go for a walk at the beach and would like to have it settle by the time I am back. The time was around 6pm. and that was 2 hour since we first checked in. I had a 30 minutes walk along the Riau Beach and came back and they have yet to fix the situation. They said they won't be able to upgrade, I said I don't need any upgrade, I just need a clean room!!! They instead got the bed sheet changed which took another half hour. So it was 7pm and finally we have the room for us! almost 4 hour of check in process.

Wanted to take a bath at the bath tub, it wasn't clean properly, so my wife had to clean it. The heater only provide hot water for about 5 minutes of less, and it will be normal or cold water after that. So all in all, the stay in the chalet/premium chalet was poor. Breakfast was so so, we didn't take it. Plus the flies was all over the breakfast counter. What I enjoyed in the room was the sound of bird singing and some waves hitting the pillars at night while sleeping. It was very relaxing. But other than that, we basically did not enjoy much, Choice of TV channel was extremely poor. I paid for Water Chalet and got upgraded to Premium, so I can't imagine paying RM650 per night and only have about 8 channel and none of it is movie channel and being an Indian, no Indian channel too, although that is not important or crucial. I had BBC and Fox Sports to entertain us!

Pool was good, but dirty water, looks uncleaned.But overall it was a nice swim at the Cochin Pool. We didn't swim at the Main pool as it was crowded.

The best thing of our 2 night stay was the Avi Spa, which is bloody awesome and also the small petting farm which houses cute looking rabbits, beautiful peacocks, playful pigeons and also good looking chicken by the name of Junior! The Spa has a great view of the sea and also an excellent place to enjoy the sun set in the evening.

I was looking forward for the trip to Avillion as I have heard a lot about the water chalet and I was there last year with my company. But this time, it was not a great vacation. The staffs are friendly but the service by the hotel is poor for the price you pay.

I doubt that I will be coming back again unless there is an improvement.

Room Tip: If you want the sea view, take the Premium Water Chalet but only if you planning to stay in most of...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
12 Thank luckyboy24
Thank you for finding the time to provide us with this review…

We regret that it fell short of both our expectations in terms of service levels rendered by the resort team for your stay.

There is no excuse for such service standards at the Resort. However, we do assure you that this is not the norm for the Avillion; and we had addressed these matters to improve on areas mentioned.

Thank you once again for your time in writing us this review and I hope that you will return again perhaps for a leisure visit with loved ones.

Until then, have a great day ahead and see you soon!

Travellers are raving about these Port Dickson hotels

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2014

absolutely loving this hotel. but it isn't as impressive as when it first opened, somehow has lost a bit of charm . the little detail counts.... sea view isn't really a sea view anymore. The indian lady at the pool manning the pool towels were very rude.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank Ragdoll777
Thank you for finding the time to provide us with this review…

Nonetheless, I do hope to welcome you again in the future should your traveling plans bring you back to Port Dickson

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

Spent two nights at Avillion over the weekend. The resort has a few pro's and con's.

Pro's: Good location, kind of close to other activities and eateries. Has activities to keep young kids entertained - petting zoo daily 10-11am, cooking classes for kids 4pm, a child friendly pool, and a kids only pool with water slide, and it's located on the beach so you could walk and make some discoveries on the beach of washed up things. There's cheap banana boating (20RM/person) along the beach outside the hotel. Staff are friendly, check in/out is easy, you can charge everything to your room and pay in 1 transaction on check out. Food is expensive but tastes good. Grounds and gardens are amazingly maintained and beautiful to look at.

Avi Spa - the spa within the Avillion deserves a tripadvisor page of it's own! It's heaven on earth! From the moment you walk in until the moment you leave you're treated like royalty. It's expensive compared to the local Malaysian massages places, but all the little extras and the skilful masseurs are totally worth it. Upon arrival you're given cold tea and a cool face towel to freshen up. We just had neck/shoulder/back massages but that included a quick foot scrub and soak. The massages themselves were amazing then afterwards you're given fruit and tea and sit outside on the balcony. Any spa treatments also include access to the bar upstairs (also can get access if you've paid for a premium water chalet). We booked our spa treatments for 7.30pm and sat the bar (only serves non alcoholic drinks though) for an hour and watched the sun go down. Amazing! Avi Spa is worth the trip itself! Would totally come back to Avi Spa in a heartbeat!

Con's:
My biggest gripe is the resort was pimped out to the max the weekend we stayed, and it wasn't even a Malaysian long weekend. One night there was a wedding on the left side of the resort, meaning beach access was limited after a certain time, and the next night there was a wedding on the right hand side of the resort, meaning beach access was blocked late afternoon. This also meant the carpark was full of wedding guests and hotel guests who'd paid top dollar for accommodation couldn't park.

On the Saturday 2 of the cafe's (including the cheapest café on the premises) were closed for private functions. How about using your private function rooms and providing catering Avillion? Then your hotel guests wouldn't be forced to go outside for food.

Breakfast is RM98++ per person, which is crazy expensive. Lucky we had our car with us and ate at PD Eating Point a few km's down the road. We had a big breakfast for RM6.50 each, plus a few RM for tea/coffee.

There's hardly any foreign tourists here, so there's a lot of people with cars. There's parking at the front of the hotel but the overflow parking is across the busy highway (good luck crossing)!

Not all the watersports in the resort are available, despite being advertised in numerous places around the resort. There's watersports on the beach providing there's no wedding and you can access the beach, but they're not regulated by the hotel so be prepared to be told one price before the usage of the equipment and told another (higher) price after usage.

If staying here you must walk along the beach to Sun Sea Water Sports and try the wind surfing. 50RM/hour hire, and 30RM/hour tuition - a complete bargain. It's a small husband and wife run business and they also care for the cats abandoned at the beach.

Another must is to try El Cactus Mexican restaurant down the road. We had entrée, 2 mains, 3 beers, 2 cocktails and it wasn't even RM150! Bargain. Definitely try the nachos!

Another tip: don't waste your time with the water chalets unless you know someone in Management at the hotel and can get you a chalet with a view of the water. Most of the rooms have a view directly into the opposite room, not any water. And at night time mosquitos make their way in through the open shower, and the rain/waves at night can be quite loud. Just pay for a cheaper garden view room and go for a walk up the water chalets just to have a look.

All in all, not a bad resort but waaaaaaay too busy for my liking. The saving grace was the Avi Spa and that we had a car and could drive to other places for entertainment and eating.

I personally wouldn't stay here again, not at the price. We've stayed at Grand Lexus which will be our choice next time in Port Dickson. Saying that, if you have kids this is definitely a child friendly hotel, apart from the million and one steps! There's a lift but it doesn't take you to the lowest floor (the floor which gives access to all the rooms, pools and café). So be prepared to carry your pram up and down a heap of stairs all weekend!

Room Tip: Forget any of the water chalet rooms. Expensive, most rooms have a view of the opposite room and not...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
13 Thank AussieAbroad011
provided!

It disheartens me to read about your experience at our Resort.

I have also learnt about your experience through my team and I am truly sorry for the unpleasant experience you had with us.

It is certainly not the hotel experience we promised to our valued customers

I’m glad to hear that despite the
inconvenience, you had managed to fully enjoy your stay with us.

Thank you again for staying with us and have a great week ahead

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2014

Check in is a bit slow but after that everything was smooth. Room decor is nice n relaxing. The beach is nice and the spa is also nice. Had fun with my partner at the beach with the activities provided by the hotel. Will be back here again!

• Stayed April 2014
7 Thank ctyjess
Thank you very much for the excellent review!

I am delighted to read that your recent stay at the hotel was a memorable one.
Looking forward to welcoming you back soon!

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2014 via mobile

We came back to Avillion for the second time this year, staying for four days in mid April. We are a family of four, comprising of a young baby and a three year old. We stayed on a "privilege" type package which basically just means expensive as it's in the huts right on the water, with beautiful views.

Let's start with the good. The facilities are really great. Multiple pools, a beach nearby, restaurants and convenience. Staff are smily and friendly (we will come back to this later), the spa is super nice (if you like a massage), babysitting is available, restaurants are multiple and bars are nice.

Now, the experience.

On arrival with a baby in stifling heat, 45 minutes before rooms were ready, the staff were lost as to how to help us. The look of confusion and feelings of being lost is not exactly what you want to see from the people in charge of a five star establishment. On being sat down the restaurant we waited 30 minutes for a glass of wine. Only to be told it wasn't available and that another (somewhat random one, not on the menu) was.

The food

The restaurant menus are tired and unimaginative. I got a mild case of food poisoning soon after. I was laid out for a day after that.
I was then served bloody (raw) chicken for dinner under the "crow speciality" dish with steamed chicken. When I asked the restaurant manager to take it back he look confused at me, and asked if I'd like it fried. I said: I want it cooked properly. He left, but no apology followed. This was very disturbing from a food hygiene perspective.

The staff
English was not easily understood. Staff are wonderful but woefully undertrained. Most are docile, smily, going about their business, but largely unresponsive to new events. On two occasions our hotel card stopped working, just at that moment when you are going back to feed the baby and it's 30C. I asked a member of staff to help, which they obliged and called someone on their radio. But there was no hurry to come, and time passed so I took matters into my own hands and dragged one of the room attendants to open it for me there and there. Somewhat later someone else would turn up looking sheepish but too late.

It is clear that the competent staff are promoted quickly to middle management roles, those that can speak English and want to help you. (Thanks Raj from front desk) otherwise everyone tends to their own little part of the world, and has little ability to respond to guest needs.

Guest awareness is not great. Waiters are slow unless their managers are looking over their shoulders. They will put a knife in front of a three year old because they're not thinking. Some managers are responsive but some walk past you struggling to move your pram up stairs without blinking.

(Funny layout, the main building is on three levels with elevators. But the elevators take you in between floors which means you almost always need to traverse some stairs. Disabled friendly? No. Pram friendly? No.)

Security
Fantastic. Ever present, smily. What more do you want.

Rooms.
Beautiful design and build, with stunning views. Deadlock on doors is not ideal, leaving your room for a moment can result in you being locked out and having to go hunting for an attendant to call someone else and then wait in 30C for someone eventually.

My son (3yr old) woke up one morning covered in bed bug bites and mosquito bites, all over his face and arms. We thought it was chicken pox at first, but alas no. There are signs warning travellers of inspects all year around which is good unless they are in your bed of course.

Drinks
The cocktail list was unusually long for a retreat. When I asked one of the smily waiters what one was like, he shook his head and said he doesn't drink. Of course, I felt the fool. But then, if you are a vegetarian working in a steak restaurant you should probably learn something to say if someone asks you a question. Again, no training, little management and coordination. Just cheap labour.

Summary

I rarely write reviews, but this grabbed me. This is a beautiful hotel filled with nice smily people. But it is not what it used to me, and is clearly sliding from under investment in its staff, training and basic hospitality services.

I would love to come back here again, but I'm not sure at the moment. At least until all the bites clear up..

Mike

Stayed April 2014
11 Thank GaborMK
APDMQuay, General Manager at Avillion Port Dickson, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Thank you for finding the time to provide us with this review…

It disheartens me to read about your experience at the hotel.

I am truly sorry for the unpleasant experience you had with us.
It is certainly not the hotel experience we promised to our valued customers.

Trust that your comments were not taken lightly by me or the team as
corrective measures have been carried out to avoid similar incidents from reoccurring.

Meanwhile, I am looking forward to welcoming you again soon and get your new feedback and to welcome you back to your "home away from home" soon!