“Recommended” 4 of 5 bubbles

Merlin Hotel
Ranked #11 of 36 Hotels in Port Dickson
“Recommended”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

Positive size: spacious and clean room and bathroom. Interior decoration simple and soothing. Bathroom design is tasteful. comfortable pillow and mattress. LCD TV has few good channels. Air conditioning good. Water force is moderate but not rainforest type. The room comes with amenities such as tissue box, tissue roll, tea & coffee maker, many instant tea coffee packs, sufficient towels and a broken safe. The towels were clean.
Overall value for money. I think room price is negotiable. Instead of using booking sites, if you directly contact with them you may get discount rate. I think walk in booking is also possible in this hotel, I didn't see any guest except us. May be at best one or two rooms were occupied besides us.

Negative side: the tiles were a bit sticky. The bottom part of the wall contained abstract cave sketches. Merlin probably appointed child artists to create a boutique ambience. However, if you are not too fussy about minor details then these problems aren't going to affect your stay.
Another problem I faced was no warm water in the shower. This might be a temporary problem.
The thing that annoyed me the most was the staff attitude. I felt like I was talking to robots. May be they need to pay fine if they accidentally smile or show courtesy.
I drove to Merlin from KL. I was fasting too. So I felt a bit tired when I reached the hotel. I wanted to take short nap but I kept hearing loud noises, adults were shouting and jumping as if football match was going on in the corridor. I thought some guests were making noise. I came out and saw one of the hotel staffs brought his friends inside the hotel and having good time. This was shocking for me.
At night same thing happened. This time a bunch of adults were playing hide and seek. I kept hearing annoying noise of doors opening and closing. I didn't bother to check this time. This went on for very late night. You need many many guests to make such noise. In the morning I saw only 1 car beside mine. This is a mystery why and who were making this noises. Several times I thought police raid. I am a light sleeper. I can't stand noises while I am trying to sleep. Another possibility that this hotel has a late night house keeping policy.
The location is not very convenient. If you have own transport then this is not a problem. You need to walk around 2 km to find nearest happening place- PD waterfront. Please note getting a taxi is not easy at night. You should make arrangements with taxi drivers early.

Overall I think the hotel is good. Worth trying. You may find the night guard- an Indian guy with big mustache interesting. If you have spare time you can talk to him. He is informative and he loves to talk. He speaks good English. You can try to see Malaysia through his eyes.

Please share if you have visited Merlin.

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank Muhammad T

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

Just stayed 2 days 1 night at this hotel and wasn't really impressed after reading the reviews of the previous occupants when i've booked this hotel.

First of all, i admit that this is a new hotel and for the price we are paying is a little bit fair but given a second chance i rather pay a little higher for a nicer stay. Clean is clean but is really boring and the room given to us was really horrible. It was the first room at 2nd floor just beside the roof of the building. The toilet has a flight of stairs and was not astonishing design at all. We have to climb the stairs each time we enters the toilet and the size of the toilet is smaller than my backpacking hotel experience.

Secondly, the location of the hotel is just right beside a petron petrol station and no beach view at all. For those tourist who are looking for an easy walk to to the beach please take note that is rather far for the nearest beach that you can swim. Unless you have a car to commute around, this is not a good place because the hotel has nothing to offer, so you can think twice if you are planning a stay without a breakfast facility.

Lastly, i would not recommend this hotel for those whom looking for a pleasant beach experience even though the price is affordable but is really a hassle to get to the nearest beach at teluk kempang.

Room Tip: Do not take room 9 is horrible and very noisy
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
      Cleanliness
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank NickLee0216
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

Stayed for a night here for a weekend gateway in PD. Around 10 minutes drive from the nearest beach. Its by the roadside so you won't miss it. However, I suggest for the hotel to make a bigger signboard so that the first timer will be alert when approaching the hotel.

I booked a triple deluxe room, and it was spacious enough for my family of 4. It has window but no view though. Its ok anyway since we just stayed for a night.

Recommended for budget travelers. If you don't mind to be quite a distance from the beach.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family