“Great weekend getaway”

Ranked #2 of 6 Bukit Fraser B&B and Inns
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Great weekend getaway”
Reviewed 10 November 2013

Great place, food and people!! I enjoyed every bit of our stay at Smokehouse. The room was put together nicely giving the English style feeling (Halycon 3) though some small details like curtains and bedsheet can be improved. It didn't affect our whole stay here at the Smokehouse. We definitely enjoyed the afternoon tea and dinner at this place. A must try dish, "Bubbly and Squeak" for dinner along with Beef and mushroom pie. The staffs were attentive, friendly and helpful. Definitely will go back to this place for a quick getaway.

Room Tip: Ask for first floor room as the floor is made from wood so you can hear people are walking around if...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
KL
Reviewed 3 November 2013

Me and my husband awnted to have some time out from our busy schedule working life. So we picked Fraser's Hill as our short weekend gateway and wanted to stay in a good hotel. So from the reviews, we picked the Smokehouse.

Initially, we booked the Halcyon Lodge (can't remember which one). Then we decided to change to the executive suite. Needless to say we were very happy with the suite as it comes with a jacuzzi. The only creepy point is, by the second night we were there, we were the only couple who stayed in that BIG old looking bungalow. Lots of thoughts started creeping to our heads which we ignored.

The garden of the hotel is smokingly beautiful, and the scones.. oh the scones.. I may not have gone to Scotland to taste the scottish made scones, but I am telling ya, the scones that this resort offers is way too good from any of the scones that I have ever had. It may be because of the white english setting ambiance that they created, but the bottom line is, we really loved it.

The restaurant menu wasn't that bad. The menu was the same with what the (old) smokehouse restaurant in KL (not sure whether the one in Bangsar have the same menu though).

Anyway, overall - minus the 'creepy-haunty' incidents that we encountered in the hotel, we truly enjoyed our stay and would recommend our friends and family

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rochaque
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 19 October 2013

Smokehouse has really got an old charm. We stayed at the Guinevera Suite and it was big and spacious. Staff were excellent with all aspects. Their tea time scones are very delicious. I had to order another one to go with the strawberry jam. Would recommend to anyone who is going to Bukit Fraser for a short stay.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 October 2013

This is such a lovely place, we love the English decor, its charm & having hi-tea at the garden. Scones were really good and so was the jam.. and who won't try to take some pictures here?

We wander around the property and took pictures in different spots, at the same time looking out so we won't be a disturbance of other guests. When we were standing at the main door taking pictures, at the same time looking out for visitors in case we don't stand in their way, the person behind the counter asked us: "Guys, how long have you been taking pictures?" I heard him loud and clear, and was in shock. My friend who was holding the camera didn't hear him clearly so he continued: "Not too many pictures, ok??"

OMG, did that really came out from his mouth? We are the paying customers, hello? This rude person who seemed to be the manager totally ruined this lovely place with his snobbish attitude. We left immediately feeling angry.

If you never been to this place before, I'd recommend checking it out and have a quick 15 mins to try the scone. Any longer your seemingly perfect English hi-tea afternoon will be ruined by the snobbish manager. Remember, do not take "TOO MANY PICTURES" too!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
11 Thank msmeteor

Travellers are raving about these Bukit Fraser hotels

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 12 September 2013 via mobile

Many friends recommended this place so I gave it a try.

Called the hotel direct to book my room and was attended by someone who lacks costumer service. Not very charming...

On arrival check in was pleasant. Upon entering the room discovered many things are in dire need of fixing and touching up. Wires dangling, paint peeling off, bathroom moldy, stained shower curtain and overall cleanliness was lacking. Nice poster bed and the outside view was superb.

Decided to try the afternoon tea at the terrace which was nice. The scones and home made strawberry jam was delicious.

Dinning room and lounge was quaint and perhaps can do more on the cleanliness as I can see cobwebs on the rusty ceiling, not charming at all.

We decided to dine in after being convinced by the Manager that the Roast is highly recommended. Ordered Beef Wellington Roast and it turned out to be a disappointment, my wife had Fish & Chips which was okay. Before I forget, the table bottled still water is chargeable (discovered this upon check out) so beware unless RM5++ is acceptable to pay for a small locally bottled water.

All food and beverage bill consumptions in this hotel will only be presented to you on check out, so you better have good recollection what you consumed during stay. I think this is not right...

Breakfast was American style with choices of eggs. The egg that I ordered came out differently and the sausage was burned, however the fruit jam was nice.

On check out day, I was attended by the same person who took my room booking and he seems to forget that a guest is checking out and he was busy sorting out the faulty walkie talkie with his staff and ignoring me! Not charming at all...

Overall, this place has the potential but many things are not done properly especially on cleanliness, customer service and quality of food. Perhaps due to its popularity these areas are often neglected.

• Stayed September 2013
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 8 August 2013

We have been taking advantage of my 3 years assignment in Malaysia to see and experience as many sights and culture as we can. So for the 1st day of Raya we decided to check out Bukit Fraser. Unable to get a reservation, we thought of making a day trip. I read on the net that The Smokehouse has a good restaurant. So when we arrived at about 2pm, we went straight to the hotel. I asked one man who seem to be in charge (a caucasian guy) if we could have lunch. He said that it would be at least an hour wait. I said ok and we will just take a walk and come back. Then he said lunch will be over in an hour and it will be tea time. I said that's still fine. I can come back. But he just brushed us aside never took our reservation and worse, my son asked if he can use the rest room and was told that he can use a public toilet (about a mile down the road). How rude! I have stayed in many hotels in Malaysia much better than this small hotel and always had good things to say. But not on this one.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
8 Thank JDL639
Subang Jaya, Malaysia
Reviewed 9 July 2013

Went there without booking and got a room that was not bad but from the outside looked like it was going to collapse. It's a cosy room nevertheless. Reasonably clean. The price for a room is steep. And if you think the price for the room is steep, try eating there! It's very expensive but the food is tasty though. English food, English-looking cottage house. Outside is very pretty with beautiful coloured flowers and plants. The weather is perfect...50s at nights and 60s n 70s during the day. Desk staff are friendly and accommodating. Ideal getaway for young and elderly couples.

Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
The Chateau Spa & Organic Wellness Resort
Puncak Inn Bungalows
Puncak Inn Bungalows
#5 of 6 in Bukit Fraser

Been to Ye Olde Smokehouse Fraser’s Hill? Share your experiences!