“A Great Disappointment”

Ye Olde Smokehouse
Ranked #4 of 11 Restaurants in Bukit Fraser
Cuisines: British, European
Good for: Romantic, Groups, View, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“A Great Disappointment”
Reviewed 30 October 2013

We stayed there for a night. We had their scones which were marvellous so we thought the dinner must be good too. We were so wrong. My husband ordered a steak and it was the worst steak we had ever eaten. It was dry, tough, tasteless and the sauce that came with it was just some pasty, lumpy thing. I ordered the pasta carbonara, it came with a lot of bacon but they tasted like some leathery sllices of something that was trying to be bacon. I really have no words to describe them. It was a real let-down. Breakfast was not much better, it came with the same pretentious bacon. The service was okay though.

Visited October 2013

• Indonesian first
Alor Setar, Malaysia
“Dine in a Colonial Past”
Reviewed 14 August 2013

Tracking up and about touring the places of attractions in Fraser's Hill, you'll come about either by word of mouth, the local map or just by bumping into it, the refurbished colonial house now turned into a vivid hotel cum restaurant - Ye Olde Smokehouse. Serving a variety of steaks and Western dishes, we tried their mixed platter which was served handsomely in a romantic candlelight ambiance. The meat was tender all over and juicy. There weren't much usage of oil in cooking it and one can tell that it is practically grilled to perfection. The dessert, that being the apple pie crumble was the best my girlfriend ever had. The pastry went well with the warm apple pie, not particularly the brittle types; and it was a taste to desire as you sample the warm delicacy with a tinge of the cool vanilla ice cream to go perfectly with it.

For couples, guys especially, if you think that taking your partner up Fraser's Hill would be a romantic treat and escape to a serene, chilly countryside, I'd recommend topping it off with a candlelight dinner at Ye Olde Smokehouse which will definitely enchant her heart. And while waiting for your food to be served, take the opportunity to walk around the cottage which is equipped with genuine trinkets, paintings and furnitures that once belonged to the era of British Colonialism. Photography is allowed and there's ample time to do so prior to dining.

And if the common ubiquitous phrase, to dine like a king is familiar, well, then dining in Ye Olde Smokehouse would grant you that sense of familiarity. A word of advice though, just be certain that you have ample cash with you as being a house atop a hill, credit card machines may not function all the time. Withdraw before you go up the hill.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Syme0n
KL
“First class price with above average food.”
Reviewed 4 August 2013

I have heard good reviews of this restaurant. I visited it on 3rd and 4th August, first for dinner and the latter for tea. We made a reservation for the dinner prior to going and we were asked to give a minimum of RM100 deposit. (yah. a deposit.. I have dined in prestigious restaurants in KL and never once was I requested a DEPOSIT!) We ordered mushroom soup, Beef wellington, Meat Pie, Lamb shank, Pasta, and Bomb Pudding. Hmm..Of all the dishes, beef wellington is the best (tenderloin baked with pastry). The worst would be the lamb shank. The reason for it, it taste just purely tomatoes. I can't gather other taste from it. If you ever tasted the lamb shank in secret recipe( when in is done nicely), the one from secret recipe taste 2-3x nicer. The meat pie is mediocre.The mushroom soup was rich, fragrant and nice. Please DO NOT order the Bomb pudding. I was practically eating beaten eat-white, rum and short bread. We went for the tea 3-6pm before we descent from Frasers the next day. We ordered the cream tea for 2. The tea was below average. I opine that the tea should be of certain quality after all it is called ' cream tea for two' The scones were soft and fluffy - good. The others (cakes and apple pie) were alright. Our tea- time bill ended up to be RM49.** and we were told by the Manager and credit card would only be accepted for bills above RM100. Sometimes I just wonder, you saved on the 1-2% bank charges, but the gestures and inconveniences leave a very bad impression to customers.

Visited August 2013
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Top- notch English High Tea”
Reviewed 27 July 2013

I went there for High Tea. The English are famous for their Hi-Tea after all. There is a specific High Tea package which consists of a pot of English Tea, scones, brownies, apple pies & cakes too. For a single person, the package is RM 18 & for two people it is RM 33. Prices are not inclusive of taxes. I have to give special credit for the scones. They were absolutely fresh & soft. I would come back here again just for the scones. Not forgetting, the view the outdoor seating restaurant provides. You can enjoy wonderful hill views with the evening breeze sweeping around you. Simply peaceful!! I presume this is a amazing place for romantic couples as well.

• Visited July 2013
Lumut, Malaysia
“Superb”
Reviewed 21 July 2013

Comfortable and peaceful atmosphere, the temperature, I think I was in Europe in the summer. I spent a very precious evening with wife and little ones. staff were very friendly from the start we went up to check out time. The duty manager also has the same attitude and very pleasant. Food is also at the highest standards and have a choice of Western and Asian.
Talking about the room, comfortable, spacious and ideas without TV also something very good, where there is quality time to chat with the beloved with the sounds of crickets and birds around. I recommend this place for seeking peace and away from the hustle and bustle of the city.

• Visited July 2013