“Well run and presented bungalows”
Review of Cheers

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Pulau Tioman
Cheers
Reviewed 30 March 2014

I stayed here for four nights following a recommendation from Tioman Dive Centre. The bungalows are very well presented and have options around a/c, fan, single/double, shared bathrom. Teoh (owner/operator) is charming and cannot do enough to help you, from jumping on her mototbike to drop me at the ferry, to getting the staff to move bags for me when I swapped bungalow (single became available).

As an added bonus, came home one day to find a complimentary communal bbq laid on with superb food and soft drinks.

While I am travelling alone, this would be ideal for families as the environment is perfectly containable and safe. If the thought of sitting on your stoop with the kids running around in front appeals, then this would be great for you.

Access to the main bar strip is quite lengthy, but shortened by a taxi ride. There is a decent but quiet bar on the beach 5 minutes away.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 2 August 2013

My wife and I stayed at Cheers for five nights while on a diving trip to Tioman Island. We were very pleased with our stay. We felt that the air con room rate was a bit expensive by Malaysian standards, but it seems to be in line with other places on the island. I suspect electricity costs are quite high on the island. AC room in a two-unit bungalow with hot shower was 120 ringgit (about $40 US). They have fan only rooms for 50 ringgit, but we did not see them. Honestly, though, the fan room would probably have been fine given the late July weather. The room was clean and the bed was quite comfortable. They supplied bug spray, which we used the first night before we went for dinner, but we were careful to keep our door closed and didn't really need it again. We saw a few ants here and there, but kept the trash basket on the porch so they were not a problem. The gardener dumped the trash once or more per day. The room had a refrigerator but it looked like it hadn't been used for awhile. It could have used a cleaning. No TV or phone in the room, but we didn't want them anyway. The room had a hot water boiler and mugs for making tea or coffee, but you need to bring your own tea bags or instant coffee.

In these two-unit bungalows, it is pretty easy to hear your neighbors when both you and they are in the restroom. We kept our bathroom door shut and didn't hear much from our neighbors when they were in their rooms. The room was maybe 3.5 x 4.5 meters in size. The shower room/toilet was fairly large. The shower has good pressure and was quite warm at the highest setting. However, the shower is not enclosed so the floor around the toilet and sink will get wet.

The rooms have a porch with two chairs and a small table facing a nicely kept garden. Cheers has free wi-fi but we were staying in the B bungalows furthest from the main building and the signal would not reach that far. We had to go sit on a bench closer to the building to get access. But we didn't mind being mostly unplugged for a few days.

Cheers has a good location in Tekek. It is toward the southern end of Tekek, not far from the Tioman Dive Center where we did our diving. It is maybe a 7-minute walk from the airport, a 3 minute walk in either direction from several restaurants and the dive shop. They offer same-day laundry service for 8 ringgit per kilo, all day bike rental for 25 ringgit (or 5 per hour), and motorbike rental as well. They have a souvenir shop with a few basic snacks and drinks for reasonable prices, but no restaurant or breakfast is included. There is a restaurant next door called something like Chick and Chips, but it does not appear to be associated. We think the best restaurants nearby are Liza Restoran and Warong-something seafood barbecue. The Chinese restaurant was good but overpriced. The mini-mart across from Liza Restoran was the best place to buy groceries.

Our dive shop arranged airport pick up, but I believe Cheers would have done so as well. They did drop us off at the airport at the end of our stay using a motorbike with a side-car attached. All-in-all, a nice place to stay and I would recommend it to others.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Gaelyn
Reviewed 18 July 2013

I just got back from Tioman on Diving Trip and I was recommended by my Dive Instructor about this cute , clean and surrounded by the beautiful garden chalets. And thanks a lot to the guardian and also owner of that chalets, Miss Teo. In the morning she will go round and inspect her garden and the surrounding of the chalets area to make sure everythings are well kept and tidy.
I stay in an AIrcon room with good hot shower system and even a fridge. The room is so clean and confortable too. They even have a fan for good ventilation and proper wardrobe and place to hang your towels and clothes
And they do have Souvenirs Shop and Grossary right in front of the Chalets. If you need bicycle or even Scooter she had it for rent at a good price.As for fun Scuba Dive just walk behind and look for Mr Tee the Dive Instructor he will be happy to assist you in your needs about your dive
And I even have a chance to have a cup of tea in the evening with Teo and company at the center of her garden. Having this moment is just like in the Garden of Eden...
So if any of you which to come holiday, take this place as your ultimate choice and I gurantee you you won't regret but will be Cheers.... Cheers to all

Room Tip: Ask Miss Teo the owner, and she can guide you on this.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Richard759
Reviewed 28 June 2013 via mobile

Thanks to a recommendation of a friend i stayed at cheers for 5 nights. The room was clean but basic. Dont expect more luxery than a good working aircon and a hot shower. I was really happy with the place. Sitting in the garden at the end of a hot day was a real pleasure. The location is good to. One bad thing (but i dont know if every room has this) my pillow was rock hard so at the end of the week my neck hurted really bad.

Conclusion: good place but basic.
If i would stay here again??
Yes but with my own pillow

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Stephanie P
Reviewed 20 May 2013

Stayed in Cheers for one night on April 2013. Place was really cute, charming garden and the owner was really helpful and friendly. The place seemed to be popular and there weren't any double rooms available for more than one night at the time. We stayed in a double room with aca and our own bathroom, but there were smaller rooms available with a fan too. Room was nothing special, but it was nice and clean. If you don't need anything too special, this is nice and cheap place to stay.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Terhi V
Reviewed 8 May 2013

Stayed for two nights. The room was fine - a little worn but clean. The room had aircon and an onsuite shower. There were cheaper options just up the road but they didn't have a double bed available. The rooms are located in individual chalets which is nice as it gives you privacy - saying that - the bed was the squeekiest bed I have ever experienced (and no, we weren't doing anything rude!). The chalets are located in a beautiful garden - which was psychologically soothing as the rest of Tioman lacks grass.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 September 2012

The owner of Cheers is so lovely. Welcoming and friendly, she let me see the rooms before i decided to choose one. I was with a friend, so we took a twin room with fan, shower and toilets were in another building. There is one shower that only has cold water and the other has hot. There are also 2 toilets. The room was clean, and the fan worked fine. They provide a broom so that you don't leave sand in the room, which is good. The showers were also very clean which is good. THe owner also owns the shop opposite, and there you can rent bikes/motorbikes/snorkeling gear etc etc.

Would definitely recommend this place because of the friendly welcome we had. It makes such a difference. Thank you Cheers!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends