“Dirty rooms, bed bugs and rude & hostile staff ruin the resort”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Pulau Tioman
Salang Sayang Resort
Ranked #13 of 19 Hotels in Pulau Tioman
Nottingham,UK
“Dirty rooms, bed bugs and rude & hostile staff ruin the resort”
Reviewed 14 March 2013

I was dismayed to read that the same problems I experienced at Salang Sayang still continue to plague (sic) travellers making the unfortunate decision to stop there. At the time I decided not to post a damning report because I was too angry to be objective. However, like a lot of other posts report, I did complain when my superior room turned out to be infested with bed bugs. I was ignored, treated with hostility & contempt, then told to leave if I didn't like it. Women should seriously think twice about stopping here. After a hard travelling 4 month trip around SE Asia I'd opted for a week's relaxing beach rest on Tioman. Instead I was covered in bites, battled severe itching and couldn't chill out on the beach. Without doubt, the management were the rudest people I'd encountered in the 7countries I'd visited. There are stunningly beautiful places to stay in this part of the world, but this is really one to avoid

• Stayed April 2012
5 Thank sagittarianstravel

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 12 January 2013

this is my old time favourite island and resort. I have been going to salang and salang sayang since 1993. I always stay at the garden chalet for its easy access to the beach. the service is good, rooms are generally clean. Over the years some part of the chalets do need better maintenance and perhaps an upgrade. The chalet is run by a family together with their pool of staff.Very friendly and welcoming. A lot of the guests are returning guests and that is why each year I come back since most of the guests too became friends and we coincide our vacation time together so that we all meet again in salang sayang. Its like going back home each summer!
If you need to make a reservations, request for the garden chalet -Its limited and a bit pricey than hilltop chalets but its the best bet if you are with kids or would just like to enjoy being only few steps away from the beach. The restaurant also serves very good bbq dinner, very fresh seafood. Also try the seafood cheese noodle - somehow I am so addicted to it that chef in the kitchen will automatically know that I have arrived in house when he gets an order for the cheese noodle during breakfast.
They can also organize your round island boat trip - a must to visit coral island, juara village and the waterfalls.

Room Tip: garden chalet is nice and is closer to the beach
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Nur2012
Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed 18 December 2012

The hotel location is perfect.we took the room at the banana hill n the view of the sea n the nature was realy great.but inside the room was such a disappointment...matress got bed bugs n i was unable to sleep as i felt them biting me...also bathroom was a real mess...very old toilet which doesnt work that well...the shower waster preassure is damn low, end of the day to realy WASH my long hair i had to ask my husband to use HOSE OUTSIDE THE ROOM...there was no other choice as othervise it would take me forever.but at the same time the reception n the food services were realy good.staff r realy nice n the food is always fresh.also the beach is very very clean

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank FireFox610
Reviewed 14 September 2012

While writing this, I am still experiencing the itching concequences of our stay! The bedbugs were horrible! Furthermore there were mice in the room and it was incredibly noisy. The good location and nice food could not make up for this..

• Stayed September 2012
6 Thank Mariska888

Travellers are raving about these Pulau Tioman hotels

Kreuzlingen, Switzerland
Reviewed 18 August 2012

I was at Salans Sayang Resort (former called Zaids place) at Pulau Tioman Salang Bay for 4 nights at one of the Hill Bungalows. The bungalow is very very basic and cheap as well - 100 RMB per night. One problem is that it is dirty, the bath is nearly a dont go in there, the bed looks ok BUT IS NOT! There were numerous bed bugs in our hut (No. 18) which bit me. We recognized this when we already left for Kuala Lumpur. In KL we put all our stuff on a white linen and checked AND found some dead bed bugs! This is a really bad message because these bed bugs are THE PEST! I had 130!!! stitches which were so awful itchy for 2 weeks!!! DEFINITELY DONT GO THERE. We had to wash all our clothes and stuff at 50 degrees celsius which cost us 2 days of our holidays. Beside that I felt really bad for 2 weeks because of the stitches. You can informate yourself about bed bugs at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bed_bug or about prevention and how to treat them at http://www.medicinenet.com/bed_bugs/article.htm . Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions. By the way I wrote an email and a message on facebook to the hotel staff but they did not react on my inquiry. This hotel is a NO GO!

Room Tip: If you have to stay there - CHECK YOUR ROOM CAREFULLY FOR BED BUGS - and ask for another room if you...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Fredrik G
København, Danmark
Reviewed 1 August 2012

Salang was chosen, as it seem to be the only place with some "action" going on. Travelling with teenagers, stimulate the need for evening activities. However, it's fair to conclude that Tioman has a lot to offers, but a hefty evening life and night markets is not on the list.

Salang Sayang has the best restuarnt in Salang, and with the charming staff and the only place located on the (swimable) beach, it was easy to fall in love - even though the bungalows are very worn out.

I wish the story ended here, but unforunately not. We found ourself bitten everywhere, but took it for mosquitoes. At least until we, at teh beach, found out that a number of our nighboors had the same bites - and they turned out to be bed bug bites. These things happen, but unfortunately the staff seem to be ignorant of the problem.

Would I come back - yes, to a bungalow woithour bugs (anybody knows how to check without putting yourself as bait) - otherwise not!

Room Tip: The bungalows at the beachfront seem to be newer. The rest are situated in a nicely kept garden
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank agner
around the world
Reviewed 17 July 2012

Decent barebones place to stay. Room was clean, very basic (foam mat mattress, one fitted sheet and a blanket was the bed/bedding), but did the job. Good to have hot water and air con. Porch was nice; always good to have a place to put shoes and dry out clothes. Monkey Bay was ~45 minutes away and a good hike.
A nearby events guy will schedule around-the-island trips (all day - 100 ringgets or 90 for resort guests) or trips to coral island (3 hours - 70 ringgets or 60 for guests - make sure to ask about discounts for guests) but only has 2 boats so both trips might not be offered if one is popular.
Restaurant was pretty poor - but I was just coming from Singapore and might have had high standards... The bbq chicken wasn't cooked inside, the restaurant wasn't open for breakfast until 10, and the food just generally wasn't good.
Something to note - my boyfriend called and was told that only the honeymoon suite was available for the dates we wanted, and to email them requesting a reservation. After we didn't receive a response email I called (about 2 hours later) and was told that they had a room for two people or a room for three people available. So I guess room availability depends on who answers the phone...

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple