“Rude staff, price gouging, horrible room.”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Pulau Tioman
Salang Sayang Resort
Ranked #12 of 20 Hotels in Pulau Tioman
Reviewed 7 June 2013

Title says it all. Besides being a horror show of filth, the sink in the bath room was blocked. The owner was rude when i mentioned this to him in the early evening, he then sent someone up at 11pm who unsuccessfully attempted to fix it by banging on the exposed piping. The toilet leaked and then in the middle of the night in heavy rain the roof of the bed room started pouring a heavy torrent of water into a corner of the room. Thankfully managed to avoid the bed bugs that others have mentioned here though i suspect one of my room mates wasn't so lucky.

All this for RM 180..

Tioman is stunning and Salang is a nice enough spot with gorgeous fine sand. Standards seem pretty low across the board but Zaid and his place win the prize for the bottom of the list. I shudder to think how a room could be worse. One of the poorest travel experiences i've had.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else. The large resort behind the main pavilion to the right of the jetty as you come i...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Andy666699

Reviewed 27 May 2013 via mobile

This review would
Be short and precise. During the holidays the choices were quite limited at salang beach. The location of Salang is just amazing and trust me i cared less about the room. The only factor that mattered was the beach and the crystal clear water. Besides, diving was another reason i did not care much about the room.

On the contrary, the rooms weren't really spacious and the washroom quite scary. A very run down place i must say. Thereby, whoever cares for a comfy place shouldn't look around here.
P.S salang is a small place on Tioman island which has a different culture from all the islands i have been to. This place isint about luxury but just an untouched natural heaven for divers.

Nonetheless, i'd not like to stay at the same place again.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank BelalMahmood
Reviewed 26 May 2013

Sure the best location

Very poor value for money!!! The room was unpleasant. Musty. Bed linen smelled. Bathroom below standard. Quite noisy! Lizards in room. No room cleaning , no facilities in rooms. The negative reviews are all correct.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Aamir J
Reviewed 9 April 2013

We took the hilltop room where it overlooks the beach. Slept to the sound of the wave which is very nice. I was lucky enough not to get affected bed bugs or sand flied but my friend wasn't so lucky. The room is very basic with a mattress and a small table. But the hilltop room has air conditioning and hot water. There is no tv, no fridge and no kettle.The restaurant at the hotel serves breakfast lunch and dinner but there are other places to get food. We had BBQ chicken and baked potatoes for dinner on out last night there and it was amazing. There is nothing much going on at night at Kampung Salang expect for some bars. If there is a good crowd the hotel will have bonfire on the beach. The staff running the hotel is very friendly and chatty.

There is plenty to do here. A snorkeling trip will cost around MYR60 -Myr100+. There is also a few dive centers. Overall, it was a great vacation and I would definately stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 April 2013

There is only one recommendation we can give for this place, do not stat there, unless you want to ruin your holidays. This place is a heaven for bedbugs. After one night we were covered with bed bugs bites all over and the next week we spent only with trying to get rid off it. Those lucky of you who never had that, its really itchy as hell. The lady running this place didn't care at all when I confronted her with the fact. First she was blaming us to have brought them with us. After I could convince her that this is quite unlikely, since we spent the two nights before at our house in Amsterdam and in the plane where bed bugs are not as common, she claimed it to be sand flies bites. This was definitely not the case. My suggestion to wash the linen and exchange the mattress, she rejected claiming that this wouldn't help... Do yourself a big favour and stay anywhere else at this beautiful Islands, options are plenty, we unfortunately arrived very late and just wanted to sleep, which turned out as a big mistake.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Piet751
Reviewed 14 March 2013

I was dismayed to read that the same problems I experienced at Salang Sayang still continue to plague (sic) travellers making the unfortunate decision to stop there. At the time I decided not to post a damning report because I was too angry to be objective. However, like a lot of other posts report, I did complain when my superior room turned out to be infested with bed bugs. I was ignored, treated with hostility & contempt, then told to leave if I didn't like it. Women should seriously think twice about stopping here. After a hard travelling 4 month trip around SE Asia I'd opted for a week's relaxing beach rest on Tioman. Instead I was covered in bites, battled severe itching and couldn't chill out on the beach. Without doubt, the management were the rudest people I'd encountered in the 7countries I'd visited. There are stunningly beautiful places to stay in this part of the world, but this is really one to avoid

• Stayed: April 2012
5  Thank sagittarianstravel
Reviewed 12 January 2013

this is my old time favourite island and resort. I have been going to salang and salang sayang since 1993. I always stay at the garden chalet for its easy access to the beach. the service is good, rooms are generally clean. Over the years some part of the chalets do need better maintenance and perhaps an upgrade. The chalet is run by a family together with their pool of staff.Very friendly and welcoming. A lot of the guests are returning guests and that is why each year I come back since most of the guests too became friends and we coincide our vacation time together so that we all meet again in salang sayang. Its like going back home each summer!
If you need to make a reservations, request for the garden chalet -Its limited and a bit pricey than hilltop chalets but its the best bet if you are with kids or would just like to enjoy being only few steps away from the beach. The restaurant also serves very good bbq dinner, very fresh seafood. Also try the seafood cheese noodle - somehow I am so addicted to it that chef in the kitchen will automatically know that I have arrived in house when he gets an order for the cheese noodle during breakfast.
They can also organize your round island boat trip - a must to visit coral island, juara village and the waterfalls.

Room Tip: garden chalet is nice and is closer to the beach
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends